Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the headrest in the model 3/S-Maybe this helps someone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that is likely why, when considered on a population scale. Individual drivers who are conscientious about adjusting the head restraint properly are probably the minority. Here is a question: when you get into someone else's car or drive a rental car, do you check the adjustment of the head restraint before driving off (or when getting into the car as a passenger)?
Yes, making sure your head and neck are properly restrained is a pretty huge safety issue as well as comfort

So everybody in the world needs their head restraint in the exact same spot? That makes a lot of sense
Actually, it does make sense. Yes, it's a trade off. But I think it's safe to say that many, if not most people don't take the time to adjust the head restraint to the proper position every single time they get in the car. Especially if the car is shared between drivers.

It's a numbers game and setting the head restraint in a fixed position that protects a high percentile of drivers without negatively affecting comfort to a distracting degree allows them to reduce the overall number of head/neck injuries. Unfortunately, you don't fall in the percentile covered by the fixed restraint.

Do you think multiple car companies did this on a whim? Or to save manufacturing costs?? There is a definite reason they did this and it was to increase safety overall. Now you can argue just *how much* safety is increased by doing it, but I guarantee that they have numbers backing them up on it.

Actually, it does make sense. Yes, it's a trade off. But I think it's safe to say that many, if not most people don't take the time to adjust the head restraint to the proper position every single time they get in the car. Especially if the car is shared between drivers.

It's a numbers game and setting the head restraint in a fixed position that protects a high percentile of drivers without negatively affecting comfort to a distracting degree allows them to reduce the overall number of head/neck injuries. Unfortunately, you don't fall in the percentile covered by the fixed restraint.

Do you think multiple car companies did this on a whim? Or to save manufacturing costs?? There is a definite reason they did this and it was to increase safety overall. Now you can argue just *how much* safety is increased by doing it, but I guarantee that they have numbers backing them up on it.
I'd say non-adjustable headrests or head restraints on cars does not represent the majority of manufacturers by any means for a reason. Seems like a no-brainer

Arghh the newer head restraints are the worst. If you have good posture to begin with, they will drive you crazy. If you have tech neck you probably wont even notice them. But the craziest part of all, when I go to swing the visor to the side window it hits the headrestraint and cant get to the window. It's comical. I am a 5'1" female and have owned at least a dozen cars. Sadly as a petite person the tesla is the most uncomfortable one I've driven. I have added a seatbelt cover because the seatbelt cant be adjusted low enough to not rub my neck and now I'm off to look for a pillow accessory for the head restraint.

• Love
Reactions: Skavatar
Arghh the newer head restraints are the worst. If you have good posture to begin with, they will drive you crazy. If you have tech neck you probably wont even notice them. But the craziest part of all, when I go to swing the visor to the side window it hits the headrestraint and cant get to the window. It's comical. I am a 5'1" female and have owned at least a dozen cars. Sadly as a petite person the tesla is the most uncomfortable one I've driven. I have added a seatbelt cover because the seatbelt cant be adjusted low enough to not rub my neck and now I'm off to look for a pillow accessory for the head restraint.
It’s not just for petite people. I’m 6’ and 215 and they make my head and neck hurt, my wife is less than 5’2 and 120 and she is fine. I was able to get a neck rest pillow from Amazon but the filler was too firm for me.
Luckily I was able to go to a foam supplier and get softer foam to fill it. The cover is zippered so it was an easy switch. This also has an adjustable strap so its position is easy to manipulate.

Attachments

• IMG_2560.jpeg
    IMG_2560.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 69
I love my Model 3 but the seats are literally the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in. And I have driven a lot of different rental cars.

The back is incredibly uncomfortable unless I add a thin seat cushion to lift me up less than an inch. The headrest is way too firm, and combined with the firm suspension, means I can't rest my head on the headrest.

It seems like a lot of people think resting your head on the headrest is wrong, but that's what I have done in every other car I've driven for over 20 years and it's clear a lot of people do this. I tried getting used to not resting my head on the headrest, it's just not relaxing for me which makes driving less enjoyable.

I wish someone made a cover for the headrest made of a more cushiony material. For now I'm experimenting with different pillows that are slightly higher than typical neck pillows. I'm removing a lot of the cushion material until it doesn't push my neck too far forward. Haven't found anything that I would consider optimal yet. A pillow is bulky, I just want a headrest that doesn't make my head bounce around when driving over every little bump.

I love my Model 3 but the seats are literally the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in. And I have driven a lot of different rental cars.

The back is incredibly uncomfortable unless I add a thin seat cushion to lift me up less than an inch. The headrest is way too firm, and combined with the firm suspension, means I can't rest my head on the headrest.

It seems like a lot of people think resting your head on the headrest is wrong, but that's what I have done in every other car I've driven for over 20 years and it's clear a lot of people do this. I tried getting used to not resting my head on the headrest, it's just not relaxing for me which makes driving less enjoyable.

I wish someone made a cover for the headrest made of a more cushiony material. For now I'm experimenting with different pillows that are slightly higher than typical neck pillows. I'm removing a lot of the cushion material until it doesn't push my neck too far forward. Haven't found anything that I would consider optimal yet. A pillow is bulky, I just want a headrest that doesn't make my head bounce around when driving over every little bump.
Did you see my post just above yours?
you can always send them back. That is the beauty of the big A.
My source of pain discomfort is too mild a word, comes from the angle that the restraints force my neck to take.
This cushion is not the most elegant looking but it allows me to keep my neck straight while maintaining light contact with the restraint

Well today I noticed Tesla has a recommended seating posture and position in the manual. It's more upright than I'm used to and a bit further from the pedals.

I tried it today and noticed that being in a more upright posture relieves any strain on the front of my neck that I was experiencing while accelerating when I'm not resting my head against the headrest.

Also, my posture is generally not great and this sort of forces me to get used to good posture for extended periods of time.

So, I'm going to try this for awhile.

Well today I noticed Tesla has a recommended seating posture and position in the manual. It's more upright than I'm used to and a bit further from the pedals.

I tried it today and noticed that being in a more upright posture relieves any strain on the front of my neck that I was experiencing while accelerating when I'm not resting my head against the headrest.

Also, my posture is generally not great and this sort of forces me to get used to good posture for extended periods of time.

So, I'm going to try this for awhile.
Keep us posted.
I sit upright but the problem for me is that even if the rake of the seat emulates a dining table chair, the restraint forces my head forward.

Have you tried reclining the seat back just slightly? I think I'm probably at the recommended 100-110 degrees or so.

But of course everyone's posture and neck is different.
I’m probably closer to 100 than 110 but I will try adjusting the rake to see if that helps. I bought my car based on my experience with my brother’s Model Y and his car is not as uncomfortable as my Model 3.

So the head rest in all Tesla's have to be one of the most ridiculous parts of the whole car.

Maybe this post will help someone out there.

They are unadjustable which is complely insane (I have a very tall sitting height)

They are very narrow necessitating one driver position which is very fatiguing for the human body over long periods of time (no oportunites to adjust seat position, circulation, ect.)

So, I went to the local junkyard (yes, you read that right, get used to Tesla ownership!) and choose a couple of headrests that matched my interior color and bar width specifications.

I am very much more happy with these headrests, my neck is really thanking me after a long road trip. These may not be perfect because I may take them to a machine shop to get them bent back a bit (but there are already SOOOOO much better than the Tesla ones.

I used velro tape for the seat back to get it to stick back up. I actually had to gorilla glue the velcro tape onto the seat and seat back becuase in hot temps the velcro tape did not cut it. (you could also take the head rest to a machine shop to get it the bars extended so they hold up the seat back as they should.

If you find a head rest that you like and does't fit into the seat, you could take it to a machine shop with the orginal head rest and have them retrofit the new one to work

Here is a pict of my final product. I pulled these off an older BMW.

Note to Tesla: Hey, you make a pretty amazing car when it comes to autonomous driving and electric/batt technology. Your car sucks in many other ways. Keep the things you do well and copy other auto manufactures who have been doing the rest for a 100 years or so (ergonomics, seats, steering wheels, ect) and you will be much better off.
View attachment 937388
View attachment 937389

So the head rest in all Tesla's have to be one of the most ridiculous parts of the whole car.

Maybe this post will help someone out there.

They are unadjustable which is complely insane (I have a very tall sitting height)

They are very narrow necessitating one driver position which is very fatiguing for the human body over long periods of time (no oportunites to adjust seat position, circulation, ect.)

So, I went to the local junkyard (yes, you read that right, get used to Tesla ownership!) and choose a couple of headrests that matched my interior color and bar width specifications.

I am very much more happy with these headrests, my neck is really thanking me after a long road trip. These may not be perfect because I may take them to a machine shop to get them bent back a bit (but there are already SOOOOO much better than the Tesla ones.

I used velro tape for the seat back to get it to stick back up. I actually had to gorilla glue the velcro tape onto the seat and seat back becuase in hot temps the velcro tape did not cut it. (you could also take the head rest to a machine shop to get it the bars extended so they hold up the seat back as they should.

If you find a head rest that you like and does't fit into the seat, you could take it to a machine shop with the orginal head rest and have them retrofit the new one to work

Here is a pict of my final product. I pulled these off an older BMW.

Note to Tesla: Hey, you make a pretty amazing car when it comes to autonomous driving and electric/batt technology. Your car sucks in many other ways. Keep the things you do well and copy other auto manufactures who have been doing the rest for a 100 years or so (ergonomics, seats, steering wheels, ect) and you will be much better off.
View attachment 937388
View attachment 937389
Hello, here's a quick update on what I did with the headrests. I think I made an improvement I grabbed these off of an old Audi in the junkyard. You have to take them to a machine shop to get the metal bars extended a couple inches so the seat back is held in.

Remember there's two wire pins that you have to push out with a screwdriver in order to get the headrests in and out.

Overall, I'm much happier with these headrests because I can adjust them up and down if I need to and most importantly there's more real estate side to side so I can change driving positions which is especially important for long road trips.

Hopefully this help somebody!

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_201503622.jpg
    PXL_20240220_201503622.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20240220_201452345.jpg
    PXL_20240220_201452345.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Helpful
great solution.

i'm 6' tall, i have scoliosis, and a slight head forward posture. i try to stand and sit with good posture as much as i can remember to. I found the head restraint was too forward.

i've done some research and found a few youtube videos about bending the bars with either steel pipes or a floor jack.

Hello, here's a quick update on what I did with the headrests. I think I made an improvement I grabbed these off of an old Audi in the junkyard. You have to take them to a machine shop to get the metal bars extended a couple inches so the seat back is held in.

Remember there's two wire pins that you have to push out with a screwdriver in order to get the headrests in and out.

Overall, I'm much happier with these headrests because I can adjust them up and down if I need to and most importantly there's more real estate side to side so I can change driving positions which is especially important for long road trips.

Hopefully this help somebody!

I designed and 3d printed extensions to hold the backplate in place. I installed a headrest tablet mount which raised my headrest a few inches, so I needed to extend the bars so the backplate wouldn't fall back.