TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Replacing the Model S Nose Cone

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by CaptDaveHowe, Jan 21, 2017.

1. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

The nose cone on my 2015 Model S was badly scratched as a another car side swiped it pulling out of the driveway. The scratch across the nose cone is very wide and cannot be buffed out or repaired. The easiest and less costly way I can think of fixing it is with a simple replacement.

With this in mind I have searched around and found some various replacement alternatives, from carbon fiber "wraps" to full front end replacement, eliminating the cone altogether (which I do not favor). One easy and low cost option is offered by RPM Tesla. It looks like they supply a nose cone that they have wrapped in exchange for the one coming off the Model S. I'm leaning this way, but would like to hear some feedback. Has anyone had experience with the RPMTesla nose cone?

Thanks, Dave

• Helpful x 1
  2. dabbler

dabbler Member

Dave,

I have two nose cones. One that has a high gloss black wrap applied, like the original design and the other is wrapped in carbon fiber. The original cone was badly stone chipped after the first few months of driving. I purchased a used cone on eBay for under $100 (scratched up from accident) and refinished the cone to a primer 1000 grit finish. This cone I had wrapped in carbon fiber. I use this cone as my "daily use" cone as it does not get stone chips and I like the carbon fiber look. Cost me $100 to have it wrapped. It is best to remove all of the chrome trim during the process and apply as the last step.

The original cone I refinished to a primer 1000 grit finish and had the gloss black vinyl wrap applied and save this one for cars shows that I attend. These are so easy to swap out.

3. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

Thanks for the reply. It looks like what RPMTesla does is to wrap a cone in carbon fiber, which they ship to you, which upon receipt you send them yours (which I assume they wrap and sell to another customer). For $199 (after the core charge credit), this seems like a decent option. It seems that you're happy with the carbon fiber "wrap" method, so I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Before having several done in real carbon fiber, I tried a wrap (not RPMTesla's). After a year or so the edges started to come loose and it began to look less than ideal. So I had them done in real carbon fiber. BTW, I have three which I change out now and then.

5. Naonak

Naonak Member

How much did a full CF nosecone run?

6. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

RPMTesla sells a carbon fiber wrapped nose cone for $199 (with your nose cone). They seem to get good reviews. I found other types of nose cone grills from TSportline for around $1295.00. I'm not sure how the "wrap" will hold up, but for $200, looks like it's worth a shot. The positive thing here is that with nose cone so exposed to damage and being such a noticeable part of the front end look, it's nice to know that it is easily replaceable.

7. Naonak

Naonak Member

I already wrapped both of my nosecones myself (one clear, one glow in the dark white/blue). I was just curious as to a full CF nosecones cost. I've tried to make my own CF parts, but I think a nosecone would be wayyy too difficult for me. I can do simple, little stuff, but the size and intricacy of the nosecone is a bit daunting.

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

$400 to have it coated in real carbon fiber with a gloss finish.

9. Naonak

Naonak Member

Do you have any idea if they just lay the carbon fiber on the nosecone, or do they have a mold and then affix it somehow? I wonder if that's possible ... I actually don't see why it wouldn't be. I think the problem would be a smooth exterior, though - you'd be hard pressed to get the exterior smooth without a mold.

10. Electric Joe

Electric Joe Member

I have a very early Model S with the original nosecone that juts outward across the width of the whole nose (see photo; white line indicates contour in case it's not obvious) and I prefer the newer, less angular nosecone design that most Model S cars have. Does anyone know if swapping the old style for a new one is a simple matter? I've never been able to get a clear answer on this point.

Nose.jpg

11. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

• Like x 1
  12. D10-Vic

D10-Vic Member

Nose Cone on the old and new is the same, help on by a couple of clips

13. Naonak

Naonak Member

No they aren't. There are at least 3 different variations and none fit the other.

The original ones have no cutouts for parking sensors.
    The ones with parking sensors have at least two variants - 1 has deeper sensor retaining clips than the other and the parking sensors from one will not fit in the other.

I have all three variations and none will fit the other. You can modify the taller retaining clips to fit the shorter parking sensors, but then you can't use it for the taller parking sensors ever again.

14. D10-Vic

D10-Vic Member

The Nose Cone to front fascia still fits from the one i have seen and installed..
    Regarding the parking sensor you are correct there is different variation as the newer Tesla have newer sensor that are shorter due to the change in the way the sensor brackets are attached. If you can i would like to see the different variation you have with you.

15. Naonak

Naonak Member

What do you want to see? I can take pictures, but I'm not sure specifically what you're looking for.

I've modified the taller retaining clip one to fit my shorter sensors, but you can clearly see where I've cut away plastic.

16. cab

cab Member

Anyone just happen to know what a brand new nose cone from Tesla costs? In addition, is it painted gloss black or just molded gloss black?

17. RDoc

RDoc S85D

$450 and it's molded.

18. scottm

scottm Active Member

You can get enough CF vinyl wrap at Walmart for about $5 that looks awesome

.. just sayin'

It's pretty easy to apply when you have the cone off the car. Using a hair dryer as a heat gun helps.. I have a heat gun.

I get positive comments all the time when other model S drivers see it.. And at this price, replace it every year or on a whim if it gets scratched or becomes rock chipped. Who cares what the original condition of the old cone is/was... nobody will ever see it.

19. digitalboi

digitalboi Member

Can you link/post some pictures for your cone with the CF ? I've been thinking about doing this as mine is in need of love but I can't find any good pictures of people who have it done.