Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the Radio - need an extra power line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
I decided to upgrade my 1.5's single-din radio. I picked up the JVC single-din nav unit that was optional when the car was produced and installed it yesterday. It would have been really easy (other than running the different ipod line) because every wire, including the extra GPS antenna, was already installed in the car. Except one.

Apparently the Sirius option requires an extra power and ground lead. The original wiring harness's wires don't match the colors in the JVC documentation, so I wasn't sure which I should splice for power. Right now, I have all the extra devices behind the VDS, but I need to find a power lead. Any suggestions or recommentations on where I should pull the extra power from?

Disappointed nobody's replied to your post with anything helpful. I'm about to do the same as you because I want a single-din unit that'll support a rear-view camera.

How did you resolve the missing power wire? What JVC unit did you purchase?

Disappointed nobody's replied to your post with anything helpful. I'm about to do the same as you because I want a single-din unit that'll support a rear-view camera.

How did you resolve the missing power wire? What JVC unit did you purchase?
I picked up a KD-NX5000. It's the Sirius and iPod module that need the extra power line, so I just plugged everything in but left the power disconnect to those modules for now. So, no resolution yet.

I just purchased a kenwood sub that obviously requires extra power. I'm not sure I want to embark on figuring this out myself, so hopefully someone will respond with some good information.
Is that the Kenwood KSC-SW11? If so, where are you going to put it? I'm thinking of installing mine behind the driver's seat (I'm only 5'9" so my initial measurements suggest it will fit). I was going to wire it to the unused subwoofer fuse, since mine never had a factory sub. I believe the Kenwood draws less power than the factory sub, so that fuse should be fine.

While the seats are out, my neighbor is going to help install the Dynamat SuperLite. He suggested we go over that with Dynaliner, but I think someone here suggested the Bonded Logic product. Does anyone know if the two are similar? How much of each should I order if I want to line the entire tub and doors?

Is that the Kenwood KSC-SW11? If so, where are you going to put it? I'm thinking of installing mine behind the driver's seat (I'm only 5'9" so my initial measurements suggest it will fit). I was going to wire it to the unused subwoofer fuse, since mine never had a factory sub. I believe the Kenwood draws less power than the factory sub, so that fuse should be fine.

Yes, the Kenwood KSC-SW11. It fits perfectly at the base of the passenger footwell. I didn't even think about there being a factory sub fuse, i'll have to check that out since I don't have the factory sub installed.

While the seats are out, my neighbor is going to help install the Dynamat SuperLite. He suggested we go over that with Dynaliner, but I think someone here suggested the Bonded Logic product. Does anyone know if the two are similar? How much of each should I order if I want to line the entire tub and doors?

I used Dynaliner with Dynamat SuperLite and got much improved results, but have not looked at Bonded Logic.

Yes, the Kenwood KSC-SW11. It fits perfectly at the base of the passenger footwell. I didn't even think about there being a factory sub fuse, i'll have to check that out since I don't have the factory sub installed.

I used Dynaliner with Dynamat SuperLite and got much improved results, but have not looked at Bonded Logic.
Please let us know how it sounds! I don't know where I got that there is a fuse for the subwoofer. Maybe there's a chart on the fuse cover? In my 1.5 manual it DOES NOT show one. Only Fuse 5 for the Electrical accessories, audio and nav, and Fuse 24 for Audio system amp. I would have to look at the car when I get home. Fuse 2 is the Aux power socket which would be a good candidate, especially if your device charges directly from the head unit.

Do you remember how much Dynamat you used? I suppose I could just order a bunch and return what I don't use.

Back to supersnoop... huh, the KD-NX5000 is what's in my Roadster #467. I'm sure it's original equipment - the prior owner didn't touch anything and hardly drove it. Don't know how it's wired up, but the Sirius works fine - haven't yet tried an iPod.

My reason for looking for a different single-DIN unit is to find something that'll work with a backup camera, even though the image would be small. May be hard to find - anyone have ideas?

Back to supersnoop... huh, the KD-NX5000 is what's in my Roadster #467. I'm sure it's original equipment - the prior owner didn't touch anything and hardly drove it. Don't know how it's wired up, but the Sirius works fine - haven't yet tried an iPod.

My reason for looking for a different single-DIN unit is to find something that'll work with a backup camera, even though the image would be small. May be hard to find - anyone have ideas?
The NX5000 was the optional stereo from the factory, so it must be able to be hooked up. The strange part with my car is that the GPS antenna for the NX5000 was already installed, just not connected since the standard radio didn't use it. I was surprised by the amount of modules and wires required for Sirius and the iPod adapter; if you ever take the dash out, I'd be interested to see where they put everything.

I've never seen another single-din stereo with a video screen, and I've been looking for a while. There are some flip-up screens available, but, from what I've read, they don't have enough room to flip up in the roadster because of the wiper stalk and dash.

However, my NX5000 came with a harness that includes video inputs and outputs. You should be able to wire up a backup camera to it.

... There are some flip-up screens available, but, from what I've read, they don't have enough room to flip up in the roadster because of the wiper stalk and dash.

User AugKuo has done it with a flip up, though it does hit the wiper stalk when opening/closing (causing it to spray windshield fluid @ me). But once it's in open you can set it so it never moves again, and it really not an issue after that.

Speaking of which AugKuo if your reading this, do you happen to remember how do display the back camera? I've think I've tried every button on it!

The JVC KD-NX5000 works with a back-up camera. I had it done on mine before switching to a Double-DIN Pioneer. Here's a very informative old thread:

Rear View Camera (pre-2.5))

Here's a pic from the back up camera on my JVC:

IMG_5437.JPG

My 1.5 roadster had a nice single DIN Pioneer with flip out screen installed when I got it, but over time I found it frustrating to deal with the interference between the screen and the wiper stalk. I changed mine out with a JVC Kameleon KD AVX77. This radio was top notch in its day but has been out of production for a number of years. I picked up a NIB one and it has worked out nicely (and is actually appropriate for the car year). I did add a backup camera to it that I can turn on at any time, but the image is quite small.

The JVC KD-NX5000 works with a back-up camera. I had it done on mine before switching to a Double-DIN Pioneer. Here's a very informative old thread:

Rear View Camera (pre-2.5))

Wow - who knew! Well, not me. Thanks, shrink, I'll pursue this!

FYI for those interested, today I saw a neat idea - a rear view mirror with the camera's display inside. When it comes on about half of it becomes a good res LCD display, very clear - right at heads-up level.

FYI for those interested, today I saw a neat idea - a rear view mirror with the camera's display inside. When it comes on about half of it becomes a good res LCD display, very clear - right at heads-up level.

I have that in one of my other vehicles (an SUV) and it makes for a REALLY small image (probably smaller than the JVC KD-NX5000). It does its job, but I like my double-din 7" view a LOT better :smile:.

I have that in one of my other vehicles (an SUV) and it makes for a REALLY small image (probably smaller than the JVC KD-NX5000). It does its job, but I like my double-din 7" view a LOT better :smile:.

You're right, though the mirror I saw was slightly larger than the original in my 1.5 and right in front of your eyes where you'd be looking in the mirror anyway. Plus, the image was about the same area as would be on my single-DIN JVC (if I get that working). But, no argument... no competition for your 7" display.