Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the rear windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! long time lurker here about to buy a 2021 LR ME. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the single pane windows in the back with double pane like the ones in the front? Is something like this possible? I see a lot of people complain about the amount of noise, and i am courious if doing a change like that would help at all if possible.

The rear windows are 4mm thick. The front windows are 5mm thick (both single pane and laminated).

Custom 4mm laminated windows would need to be designed and manufactured for the rear. No one has done that as it would be prohibitively expensive.

I've been driving my new Model 3 for a week now. Today, I drove my wife's X3 for the first time since getting the Model 3. I was just on a mindless drive on the interstate with the X3 when I realized....man, it's loud compared to the Model 3. I have not done any scientific tests but I think the wind noise is mostly noticeable due to the absence of an roaring engine.

I would worry about it, and I certainly wouldn't be hatching a scheme to replace the back window.