Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the years with my non-Tesla cars, I’ve had about 10 nails in my tires, and each time the repair shop was able to just patch it up.
With my Tesla, I’ve had 2 nails, and each time the Tesla service said it was too close to the sidewall and so I needed a new tire.
Is this just bad luck? Has anyone had any experience with Tesla where it seems they’re not as willing to patch the hole?
Thanks

Too close to the sidewall is not a Tesla thing.
Tesla tires do come with acoustical foam on the inside (quiet) so some shops don't want to bother with removing that foam to get a patch to properly seal, but the nail still has to be away from the sidewall.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Over the years with my non-Tesla cars, I’ve had about 10 nails in my tires, and each time the repair shop was able to just patch it up.
With my Tesla, I’ve had 2 nails, and each time the Tesla service said it was too close to the sidewall and so I needed a new tire.
Is this just bad luck? Has anyone had any experience with Tesla where it seems they’re not as willing to patch the hole?
Thanks
Hi, I've experienced more nails in 15 months of ownership in my tire than 15 years in any other car that I've ever owned. On two occasions I was told I need a new tire only to find out the second time it happened they didn't have my tire so I went to a tire service center & they found a nail in the tread area. Of the three nails, only one was patched.