Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Tyres on Model 3 - Tesla versus Tyre store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got Toyo 98W Proxes C100 Plus for our model 3 SR+ and we've found improved acceleration at take off, increased road noise and a significant range drop on wet roads.

The range reduction in the wet was to the point where we dropped below 10% when attempting to travel between superchargers (150km).
That's a shame because Proxes are otherwise excellent performance tyres.

Yeah I called them up and no stock until Michelin gets some new deliveries. Supply chain issue. If you go online and put in 3000 postcode you'll see it says call them.
I didn't bother with acoustic foam (T0) tyres - from reading around there's only 1db difference for PS4 (figured the increased likelihood of a roadside flat repair is worth that anyway).

I didn't bother with acoustic foam (T0) tyres - from reading around there's only 1db difference for PS4 (figured the increased likelihood of a roadside flat repair is worth that anyway).

Yeah I did likewise and switched to the standard non T0 PS4.

I can’t tell any difference in noise levels. And yes as you point out, on the off chance I need to repair a puncture, it’s easier to plug without that foam liner inside.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Anyway, one thing I did find out is there is a new Michellin tyre out for EV's which is available on special order and in stock for 18inch: Michelin ePrimacy, which is $292 per tyre, fitted and installed on sale right now till the end of the month.
Supposedly made to be very quiet, stronger sidewall and extra 7% range with its low rolling resistance, same Y speed rating. MICHELIN e·PRIMACY Summer Road Tyre

I did ask about the Michellin Sport EV and they're not coming out in 18inch.
Has anyone in Australia gone with the Michelin ePrimacy tires on Tesla and can comment, how would they compare to Michelin Primacy 4 tires? How is their wet grip?
I'm just about to replace my original Pilot Sport 4 tires that lasted just over 37k, but seem to be 1.5-1mm from wear line and I have noticed they have substantially lessened their grip in wet in the last 1000km, so definitely need replacement soon.
I have never used tyrepoint, they seem to be wholesales company but say fitting and disposal of old tires included, who do they use for fitting and how good are they with Teslas?

I got the ePrimacy installed on Sunday at Costco (they have a Michelin deal running until the end of Jan, $100 back on a set).

So initial thoughts was quiet and it actually does roll nicely.
The QLD Costcos near Brisbane only list Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in my size, so no ePrimacy on their website listed. Do you need to be Costco member to be able to buy their tires and how much are they at Costco?

So, I thought I would provide an update. Since I was close enough to the wear line on my original Pilot Sport 4 tires, I figured, I might as well go for it and I took the deal from the TyrePoint for the ePrimacy tires. Got the full set for $1156 with the replacement and all (appeared reasonable deal with the supply issues and availability elsewhere). Since they only have 1 option to do the tire replacement on Gold Coast on their website during ordering, I did not really have a choice so I went with that option. Its a company named "Gas Wheels & Tires" located in Burleigh Heads. TyrePoint website said they were open till 5PM and last appointment was for 4:30PM, so I scheduled that as my work finishes at 4PM. The next day they called and asked if they could move me earlier from 4:30 to 3:30 as it may take a little longer. I spoke to my boss and agreed to finish up at work at 3PM and agreed to 3:30 for the tire change. So 2 days later they called again and said that turns out they close at 4PM, so they want to move me a bit earlier again. I was like, I already moved earlier, and would like to stick with that. They said fine, they should be able to get it done in 30 min. So I rocked up there about 3:15PM and they said they had done a Tesla before, so should be no issues. I reminded them of the tire pressure sensors and they said that will not be a problem, so I pulled out the rubber jack pads that I sourced when I first bought the car. They had never seen those before but were happy to use them to protect the bottom of the car when lifting, so I was fine with that. I was trying to find a service mode to put the car in, but could not find a button, so went with car wash mode and enabled free roll and left the car there in the workshop. True to their prediction, they got the whole thing done in 30 min and I drove out of there just 10 minutes before 4PM. The tire pressure sensors were screaming at me, so I pulled over and reset them. That fixed it and car was happy again.
Now to the first impressions on the Michelin ePrimacy tires. So mine are the standard 235/45R18 size 98W. When driving home the first 5-6km there was a low pitched hum from the tires when driving at low speeds 0-70km/h. When I got to the highway though the hum disappeared and by the time I got home 13km later, there was no hum on low speeds either, so possibly some form of new tire initial wear thing?
Since my Pilot Sport 4 tires were so close to wear line the new tires appeared to have at least similar or better grip on fist impressions. the highway tire noise was very close to exactly same as the Tesla original Pilot Sport 4 tires noise and after the initial hum was gone so was the low speed tire noise.
For the grip and wear on longer drives and different weathers I cannot comment yet as I have only started on those tires.
Though the whole experience with the TyrePoint and Gas Wheels & Tires shop, I can only give good feedback as I had no issues with either and am happy with result.

So, I thought I would provide an update. Since I was close enough to the wear line on my original Pilot Sport 4 tires, I figured, I might as well go for it and I took the deal from the TyrePoint for the ePrimacy tires. Got the full set for $1156 with the replacement and all (appeared reasonable deal with the supply issues and availability elsewhere). Since they only have 1 option to do the tire replacement on Gold Coast on their website during ordering, I did not really have a choice so I went with that option. Its a company named "Gas Wheels & Tires" located in Burleigh Heads. TyrePoint website said they were open till 5PM and last appointment was for 4:30PM, so I scheduled that as my work finishes at 4PM. The next day they called and asked if they could move me earlier from 4:30 to 3:30 as it may take a little longer. I spoke to my boss and agreed to finish up at work at 3PM and agreed to 3:30 for the tire change. So 2 days later they called again and said that turns out they close at 4PM, so they want to move me a bit earlier again. I was like, I already moved earlier, and would like to stick with that. They said fine, they should be able to get it done in 30 min. So I rocked up there about 3:15PM and they said they had done a Tesla before, so should be no issues. I reminded them of the tire pressure sensors and they said that will not be a problem, so I pulled out the rubber jack pads that I sourced when I first bought the car. They had never seen those before but were happy to use them to protect the bottom of the car when lifting, so I was fine with that. I was trying to find a service mode to put the car in, but could not find a button, so went with car wash mode and enabled free roll and left the car there in the workshop. True to their prediction, they got the whole thing done in 30 min and I drove out of there just 10 minutes before 4PM. The tire pressure sensors were screaming at me, so I pulled over and reset them. That fixed it and car was happy again.
Now to the first impressions on the Michelin ePrimacy tires. So mine are the standard 235/45R18 size 98W. When driving home the first 5-6km there was a low pitched hum from the tires when driving at low speeds 0-70km/h. When I got to the highway though the hum disappeared and by the time I got home 13km later, there was no hum on low speeds either, so possibly some form of new tire initial wear thing?
Since my Pilot Sport 4 tires were so close to wear line the new tires appeared to have at least similar or better grip on fist impressions. the highway tire noise was very close to exactly same as the Tesla original Pilot Sport 4 tires noise and after the initial hum was gone so was the low speed tire noise.
For the grip and wear on longer drives and different weathers I cannot comment yet as I have only started on those tires.
Though the whole experience with the TyrePoint and Gas Wheels & Tires shop, I can only give good feedback as I had no issues with either and am happy with result.
Good write up, has the Wh/km consumption improved at all?

Reactions: dcdttu
Good write up, has the Wh/km consumption improved at all?
i cannot really comment on that yet. My lifetime average on power consumption has been 141Wh/km for over 37k km. Now since the new tires I have done 35km and the consumption for that has been 124 Wh/km, however I have not done much highway driving and the average goes up if you sit on 110km/h for a while, so at least for now looks similar to the Pilot Sport 4 tires.

Reactions: RedSky1 and Leeroy
My experience with the tyres is similar to Priit, they seem to be a good choice.

The difference is I used Costco to install and they seem to do a lot of Tesla's as once I said Tesla he's like, yep no issue, it'll just take a extra 15mins as they don't use the normal high lift jacks to lift the car but use the pucks and do a corner at a time. Costco doesn't do wheel alignment, only balancing.

The guy said most tyre places don't know how to do alignment on Tesla's as you need to pull off some coverings. They said most places will charge a bit extra as there is more time to get it done. Anyway, i'm getting Tesla to do it, it's free as part of the Corporate plan.

I'm looking at some new tyres for an SR+, any feedback on the ePrimacy tyres after a few months?
I have done a few thousand k-s on my ePrimacy tires and so far no complaints. Not enough driving to be able to tell about the wear speed as there is no noticeable wear as of yet. Grip is excellent. Seems that certain types of road surfaces occasionally cause a very slight humming sound if conditions are very specific, but that happens rather rarely (2-3 times in 2 months). Otherwise from sound point they are as quiet if not more than the original Pilot Sports the car came with. From power consumption since replacing the tires my power consumption average has dropped by 2w/km, so possibly a 1.5% better, however as there are too many factors, I suspect it might be just that the temperature has been rather mild so less AC and no heating in the car over last 2 months.
I am very happy with my choice to go with ePrimacy so far.