Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing windshield, with dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a September 2016 build Model X. I experience a fair amount of ghosting, and given the success others have had with replacement windshields I'm considering trying to get it swapped under warranty.

However, I have a BlackVue 650 installed, with the cables run in the original conduit (Calibred Customs did an awesome job). I have no idea how this might interfere with the replacement process. I'm sure Tesla would replace the windshield, but if they left my wires hanging out everywhere I'd be sad.

Anyone had a windshield replaced who also had a dashcam installed? How was the process?

Check with your dash cam installer if they have experienced a windshield swap.

You may want to have them remove/tuck the wires and replace when done.

I wouldn’t trust a window person to the job, unless they have done others and have experience.

The SC removed everything involved with my dashcam during the windshield replacement. The taps were disconnected from the mirror and any wires fished through the trim around the windshield were pulled back quite a ways. For instance, I run an always-on from the driver footwell up around the windshield down through the tunnel and that was coiled up in the foot well. Rear camera line was pulled back to the A-pillar.

They informed me before the replacement that they are prohibited from re-running any of the dashcam wiring, so it was pretty much as I expected.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca and brkaus
I have a Blackvue 650, and Tesla replaced my windshield due to a bad rock chip and crack.

They left all the wiring in place. They removed the dashcam and its plastic holder from the windshield and left them in my car for me to apply to the new windshield.

The gluepad on the holder was really not very good at sticking on the second windshield, and the dashcam would fall off every 2 days or so.

I ordered a new holder pad from here:

The Dashcam Store | Sales, Install and Support for U.S. and Canada

Really not a Tesla problem. They helped as much as they could.

I have a Blackvue 650, and Tesla replaced my windshield due to a bad rock chip and crack.

They left all the wiring in place. They removed the dashcam and its plastic holder from the windshield and left them in my car for me to apply to the new windshield.

The gluepad on the holder was really not very good at sticking on the second windshield, and the dashcam would fall off every 2 days or so.

I ordered a new holder pad from here:

The Dashcam Store | Sales, Install and Support for U.S. and Canada

Really not a Tesla problem. They helped as much as they could.

Had you routed wiring through the windshield conduit? Did they leave that in place? I don't mind remounting the camera itself, but I don't relish the idea of pulling down the conduit to route the wire again.

Had you routed wiring through the windshield conduit? Did they leave that in place? I don't mind remounting the camera itself, but I don't relish the idea of pulling down the conduit to route the wire again.

MBK,

I have a pre-AP car. My wiring goes from the OBD-II port by the driver's legs up through the headliner to a point behind the rear view mirror. The wires are not visible to anybody unless you look behind the mirror. They didn't disturb any of that. I didn't go through any conduit. The cable to the rear camera also goes into the headliners, and around the trim above the doors to the rear hatch.

MBK,

I have a pre-AP car. My wiring goes from the OBD-II port by the driver's legs up through the headliner to a point behind the rear view mirror. The wires are not visible to anybody unless you look behind the mirror. They didn't disturb any of that. I didn't go through any conduit. The cable to the rear camera also goes into the headliners, and around the trim above the doors to the rear hatch.
I suspect you have a Model-S. With the Model-X, it's a whole different ball-game due to the panoramic windshield. It's a pain, but the best option is to use the center channel from the mirror to the "headliner".