Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I was wondering if it makes a difference whether I take it to some local shop to install a windshield or Tesla? I heard cameras need to be calibrated but I've heard you could that yourself through the car. Anyone have experience taking it to a shop thats not Tesla or safellite? How much did you guys pay?

There is only OEM glass for the windshield so any place you go will have to have that part in stock. Tesla is likely to have it. Others, not so much. There isnt any calibration required (well, the car does it automatically), so the camera calibration is not an issue.

I had to replace my front glass and agree with @jjrandorin. It's simple and straightforward. Used a 3rd party to replace it, not Tesla. That was about 1.5 years ago and no issues. I didn't have to recalibrate anything, but in the unlikely event you do there's an option on-screen to initiate it.

There are multiple threads reporting HVAC problems after a windshield replacement. I guess a microcontroller in the rear view mirror assembly needs to be reprogrammed so it can properly read the temp & humidity sensors.

The fix: An OTA software install. One can ask Service to re-push your current software version, or ask the windshield installer to ask.

Slight bump but related. I took my S85 to Raleigh,NC last Friday for a windshield replacement (~$1400 was the quote). I was ok with the cost as I had read it is better to go to Tesla to get it done fine. After my car sat there all day they called and tell they can't get to it. I drove an hour there and I couldn't stay and wait for them to get it done Sat (if that was even possible). I assume this incident is more of a reflection of the Raleigh SC (Charlotte SC has been great to me) but now I'm thinking more about Safelite.

I got an online quote from Satellite and it came out to $450 (No Autopilot, I have wiper heater bars though). Honestly I'm shocked at the difference. I thought Safelite had to get the glass from Tesla? I'm going to call and speak to someone at Satellite tomorrow because that quote seems off.

Anyone go through Safelite and pay considerably less than Tesla?

You may want to find out if Safelite (or other automotive glass replacement shop) is getting the glass from:
* Tesla
* Saint-Gobain / Sekurit (Tesla's supplier, probably their plant in Mexico; no Tesla branding on replacement glass, but probably lower cost than Tesla-branded glass)
* Some other automotive glass company (Fuyao, Carlex, etc. plants in North America; most risk as to incorrect fit, etc. if they are not the OEM supplier for the car being repaired)

Also check if there is any recalibration procedure for the cameras behind the windshield after windshield replacement.

Slight bump but related. I took my S85 to Raleigh,NC last Friday for a windshield replacement (~$1400 was the quote). I was ok with the cost as I had read it is better to go to Tesla to get it done fine. After my car sat there all day they called and tell they can't get to it. I drove an hour there and I couldn't stay and wait for them to get it done Sat (if that was even possible). I assume this incident is more of a reflection of the Raleigh SC (Charlotte SC has been great to me) but now I'm thinking more about Safelite.

I got an online quote from Satellite and it came out to $450 (No Autopilot, I have wiper heater bars though). Honestly I'm shocked at the difference. I thought Safelite had to get the glass from Tesla? I'm going to call and speak to someone at Satellite tomorrow because that quote seems off.

Anyone go through Safelite and pay considerably less than Tesla?

This is the model 3 subforum you posted in. I am sure you are aware of that, but it is entirely possible that model S glass is available through third parties, or has aftermarket equivalents, where model 3 glass does not (yet).

There are multiple threads reporting HVAC problems after a windshield replacement. I guess a microcontroller in the rear view mirror assembly needs to be reprogrammed so it can properly read the temp & humidity sensors.

The fix: An OTA software install. One can ask Service to re-push your current software version, or ask the windshield installer to ask.

what are the HVAC symptoms? Here in AZ 3rd parties do rebates (upto $200!). Not sure if I can trust them w/ sensors etc though

Also I usually ask the windshield to be tinted, but not here just in case it messes w/ cameras?