Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing worn push button transmission selector switches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has replaced the Drive / Park or Reverse push button switches / lens on a 2.0 and has any tips? The lens' on mine are worn out from over 44k miles of pushing them (fat fingers I guess). They still work fine and light up but the actual D, R and P are worn off and hard to read. Also looking for anyone that may have these salvaged switches available for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_101227.jpg
    IMG_20181124_101227.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 105
Be thankful yours is still working - maybe put homemade stickers on the buttons. Mine was replaced after I drove through miles of freshly rebuilt forest roads (dust and more dust) with windows open in hot summer conditions. A few days later car died and I towed it to Service Center. They replaced Selector Switch rather than blowing it out and douching with WD40 which is what I would have tried had I any clue about why the car failed to start. But if dust was the problem it would have had to affect both D and R switches it would seem. Still a bit of a mystery.
--

when you do ID replacements (maybe best from a salvage as you noted), cut circles from clear wrap car film such a xpel and put on the buttons. Mine started to wear, after xpel (or any similar product) all is well. Also good idea if you have carbon fiber sills, protects from scuffs. Let us know where you were able to find replacements.

Also looking for anyone that may have these salvaged switches available for sale.
I found a few complete sets of the buttons in the parts vehicles, with a couple having little to no wear on the letter masks. I also found out there are at least five complete sets of the push buttons new from Tesla in the US and they cost about $48 per push button. The ones I have would be about $41 a piece, or about $34 a piece for buttons with wear like yours to perhaps practice modifications on.

Good luck!

Wondering if anyone has replaced the Drive / Park or Reverse push button switches / lens on a 2.0 and has any tips? The lens' on mine are worn out from over 44k miles of pushing them (fat fingers I guess). They still work fine and light up but the actual D, R and P are worn off and hard to read. Also looking for anyone that may have these salvaged switches available for sale.

My car had the same. I always thought it added 'character' to the vehicle. ;)

Reactions: X.l.r.8
I have secured the new selector buttons directly from Tesla and will attempt the replacement in the next week. I will let everyone know if I find any tricks or challenges along the way. I wish I could find the carbon fiber door sills as ion_1 suggests but no luck. I have wrapped my aluminum scuff plates with carbon fiber tape but it is not the real deal (see picture). If anyone knows where a real set of carbon sills can be had please let me know. Petergrub, where are you finding the "salvaged" parts vehicle? I would love to have access just in case Tesla can't source something.

Attachments

• IMG_20181206_150045.jpg
    IMG_20181206_150045.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 79
If anyone knows where a real set of carbon sills can be had please let me know. Petergrub, where are you finding the "salvaged" parts vehicle? I would love to have access just in case Tesla can't source something.
I'm fairly certain I have seen a set or two of the carbon fiber door sills around here. Let me check and get back to you.

Mostly from salvage lots, but a few came from previous owners who started parting it out or bricked the battery. We have 7 Roadster I can pull parts from, and a stock of new parts. Just let me know what you're looking for, and if I don't have it I may be able to source it. In fact, I found a set of carbon fiber hood vanes just the other day.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm fairly certain I have seen a set or two of the carbon fiber door sills around here. Let me check and get back to you.

Mostly from salvage lots, but a few came from previous owners who started parting it out or bricked the battery. We have 7 Roadster I can pull parts from, and a stock of new parts. Just let me know what you're looking for, and if I don't have it I may be able to source it. In fact, I found a set of carbon fiber hood vanes just the other day.

Do you actually have any Carbon Fiber door sills? Please let me know. You are a great new source of parts. Do you have a phone number or email to contact you directly?
Thanks
Brian

Do you actually have any Carbon Fiber door sills? Please let me know. You are a great new source of parts. Do you have a phone number or email to contact you directly?
Yes, I found one set! The other one I thought we had were the carbon fiber dash trim pieces.

Just send an email to [email protected] with your parts request. If we don't have the parts you're looking for, we may be able to find them.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
What did you do with the old switches?? I’m after some for my Tesla powered race car. I want to have the same drive selectors as I have in my Roadster. Don’t have to be perfect but it would be cool to have the same rather than dip switches.