Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replika R187 wheels causing issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought seperate black nuts for mine. I am not saying the replika wheels are bad, tomorrow I will put my summer tire with OEM to see if it does the same thing. Pretty sure it won't, but I want to eliminate the possibility of my car being the issue. Not sure what I will or can do if the wheels are the problem.
Before changing wheel, just change the lug nuts. It is possible that 1 of your lug nut is bottoming out and not torquing the wheel. You dont have to lift the car for changing the nuts, just replace one at a time. I hope that will fix the issue.

When switching from my winter to summer rims, I forgot the lugs at home, Kal made sure and confirmed the lugs are not compatible between the OEM original Tesla 5 star rims and the Replika rims.

Kal secured lugs from their inventory that fit the Replika rim. I paid extra for the lugs (forget, it was cheap enough).
Kal just want some extra bucks from you. OE lugs definitely fit the replika. That is even claimed on their website.
All Replika alloy wheels are:
  • Certified to meet or exceed the internationally recognized JWL and VIA quality standards
  • Hub-centric for a direct fit on the vehicle's hub without the need for centering rings
  • Designed to use the vehicle’s original nuts or bolts with the correct seat configuration (radius, 60°, or flat)
  • Designed to meet or exceed the intended vehicle’s load rating requirements

Here is my wheel all scratched up. OEM wheel is clearly not as close to the knuckle.

Attachments

• 20171116_095822.jpg
    20171116_095822.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 542
I just had 187s with Pirelli Sottozeros installed on a 2016 facelift last Friday and I thought it felt like rubbing/friction when I left the grocery store on Sunday. I’ll have to check again.

Worth noting I’m not using OEM nuts. They are the black ones PMC sold me.

I’m interested to hear if your spacers worked.

Kal just want some extra bucks from you. OE lugs definitely fit the replika. That is even claimed on their website.

I have an old 2013 Model S, VIN 6xxx, so my experience might be different.

Sorry if I was unclear, I was switching from Replika RIM to OEM rim, the lug nuts I purchased with the Replika rims would absolutely not fit the OEM wheel, could not torque the nut.

2013 with 21" turbine lugs and have not noticed any rubbing on my replika winter setup. But I don't know if I ever maxed out my steering while reversing! I'll have to give it a shot and report back.

As for the quality of the product, it is perfectly fine for a winter setup imo. The thickness and durability of the paint isn't very good but other than that they are fine.

Reactions: Struja
They are going to be 3mm or 5mm spacers on mine which should stop the issue

Tested this morning. No rubbing sound and took a picture of rim, no scratched paint.
The lug nuts dont make sense because you would feel the wheel being loose on the highway in a major way. Car wouldn't be drive able.
The knuckle doesn't make sense because it moves with the wheel, it is not stationary, the caliper is mounted to it.
Maybe suspension? Do you have air or spring suspension? Mine is air.

Attachments

• 20171117_074927.jpg
    20171117_074927.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 429
Reactions: Struja
Wow a lot of discussion here. I had a similar issue but am not sure it's the same one. My problem, and I posted on this site, was the balancing weights that Kal Tire used were too thick. Took the car back after figuring out it was one of the weights and the problem was solved. Not sure if it is the same issue, but have not read anyone suggesting checking this.