Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replika R187 wheels causing issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does anyone have any experience with the 20" R187 on a facelift MS? I have winter tires mounted on my OEM 19" slipstream wheels but am planning to go to either the 20" R187 or TST Sportline wheels for the summer.

FWIW there is a difference between the pre and post facelift vehicles wrt to wheel clearance. When I was looking for winter wheels I bought a set of OEM 19" rims from a 2015 MS and they would not fit over the rear brake caliper on my 2017 MS75D. The 19" R187 was sold out so we tried the R200 and the offset was wrong so ended up with the same issues as the OP hitting/rubbing on the knuckle. IMHO any spacers used to address an offset issue is sub-optimal, so I made the decision at that point to use the 19" slipstreams for winter and upgrade to 20" wheels for the summer.

Any insights you can provide are welcome.

Thanks!

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the 20" R187 on a facelift MS? I have winter tires mounted on my OEM 19" slipstream wheels but am planning to go to either the 20" R187 or TST Sportline wheels for the summer.

FWIW there is a difference between the pre and post facelift vehicles wrt to wheel clearance. When I was looking for winter wheels I bought a set of OEM 19" rims from a 2015 MS and they would not fit over the rear brake caliper on my 2017 MS75D. The 19" R187 was sold out so we tried the R200 and the offset was wrong so ended up with the same issues as the OP hitting/rubbing on the knuckle. IMHO any spacers used to address an offset issue is sub-optimal, so I made the decision at that point to use the 19" slipstreams for winter and upgrade to 20" wheels for the summer.

Any insights you can provide are welcome.

Thanks!
I will not recommend any spacers, as there is not much thread on the studs. If you want to put spacers make sure you have atleast 10 turns of the nut before it bottoms. Call replika for the stock @ their dealers. When I bought them weeks ago from jamrimz, they still had stock.
wheel.jpg

Reactions: SmartElectric
Just noticed this thread. I've have two sets of Replika R187 on my S for a few years now (summer and winter rims) and no problems with either set. Kal Tire did one and 1010 Tires did the other.

I would be hesitant to buy replica wheels.

Please keep on topic. The wheels in your video are not "Replika" at all -- they are cheap oversea's replications. Please also don't associate Canadian replications with other countries. Our laws are the same as the US, if not stricter, when it comes to regulation and quality control.

"Cheap" wheels are cheap for a reason.

And here's the reason for Canadian made Replika: They are made in Canada so we don't have to spend an absurd amount of converted currency for T-Sportline's outrageous prices. Sorry if we like to keep our dollars in Canada and support a quality Canadian wheel maker with a proven track record for quality.

Sorry OP for your problems but I doubt it has to do with your rims. They are plug and play with no spacers required and the Tesla T wheel caps even fit and match colour perfectly. I bought new lug nuts in black to better match the rims -- one set from Kal and the other from 1010 and both work fine.

Last edited:
Hello all, so sorry I didn't catch this thread sooner, and I hope the Mods won't mind me chiming in to help resolve this, as I work for the parent company Fastco.

We only started received sporadic reports of this issue mid-winter and it took us a little time to isolate it.

It appears that at some point in 2017 Tesla changed the design of the front suspension knuckle on Model S and the new one has much less clearance between the upright section and the inner wheel lip.
The 19" version of our R187 has an 8.5" width, so 0.5" wider than the OE, but retains the identical +40 offset. This fit beautifully on all the earlier models, but the revised suspension upright is now so close than it can potentially touch the inside rim edge when reversing with the wheels cranked over near full lock.

As a result we changed the offset specification to +38 for all new production. This is low enough to ensure clearance on the 2017+ models while remaining high enough to avoid causing the tire rubbing issue on the plastic inner fender liners when turning that is sometimes experienced on the early year cars.
Note that if you do have this latter problem there is a revised liner available from Tesla that offers more clearance, and that can be a necessary fix for certain winter tires whose tread blocks will rub the liner even with the OE wheels.

So if anyone here is experiencing the front suspension rubbing issue with the R187 on a 2017-18 Model S, please contact your retailer and have them order the new revised offset version from us, which should be available next month. We will be glad to exchange them for you.

Please feel welcome to PM me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Hello,

I installed the R187 last summer and didn't notice any issues with it. (I have them on for summer tires). (Model S March 2017)

Now the wheels has been changed for my second summer with it and I'm experiencing the same problem as Ditto. I have a "tick tick" sound when turning left on the front left wheel.

Just saw Mad Hungarian message, I will definitely contact my retailer. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric