Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replika R187 wheels causing issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you get the centre cap off yours Flexbomb? I'm using the same suction cup as I do for my 18" aero but the blank caps are on way too tight on the Replikas to get them off.
You have to push them off from the back with the wheel off the car if their to tight to remove from the front with tape or suction.

I tried the suction cup method and it didn't work either. From the back the easiest way I found is to first pull out the metal circular wire "ring clip" with pliers which reduces the pressure on the tabs, then gently push in each tab towards the centre while pushing on the back of the blank cap. One of the Replika wheels was missing the ring clip and one of the tabs on the blank cap broke when I pushed it out.

In addition to the centre cap, the lug nut covers from the Tesla aero wheel kit also work and look good on the stock Tesla lug nuts on the Replika wheels.

Here's some pictures of the Deep Blue Metallic Model 3 with 18" R187 and Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires and generic TPS valve stems I got from PMC Tire.
IMG_20181208_155006.jpg
IMG_20181208_154957.jpg

The Michelins are very quiet, even quieter than the stock Michelin all-seasons with the acoustic foam.

I'm getting some blue lug nuts from ebay to go with the Deep Blue Metallic. I'll have to post when I get them on, assuming they work, though I do kind of like the Tesla lug nut covers as is.

Reactions: fidodido and 03DSG
I tried the suction cup method and it didn't work either. From the back the easiest way I found is to first pull out the metal circular wire "ring clip" with pliers which reduces the pressure on the tabs, then gently push in each tab towards the centre while pushing on the back of the blank cap. One of the Replika wheels was missing the ring clip and one of the tabs on the blank cap broke when I pushed it out.

In addition to the centre cap, the lug nut covers from the Tesla aero wheel kit also work and look good on the stock Tesla lug nuts on the Replika wheels.

Here's some pictures of the Deep Blue Metallic Model 3 with 18" R187 and Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires and generic TPS valve stems I got from PMC Tire.
View attachment 359812 View attachment 359815
The Michelins are very quiet, even quieter than the stock Michelin all-seasons with the acoustic foam.

I'm getting some blue lug nuts from ebay to go with the Deep Blue Metallic. I'll have to post when I get them on, assuming they work, though I do kind of like the Tesla lug nut covers as is.

They look great. Especially the center cap ‘T’ valve stem alignment ;)

How did you get the centre cap off yours Flexbomb? I'm using the same suction cup as I do for my 18" aero but the blank caps are on way too tight on the Replikas to get them off.

Just read this, sorry.

I didn't even know there was a "suction cup". I used a small flathead screwdriver on the backside of the replicas and popped them off the clips (gently). After you get the metal ring out, you can just push the centre cap out pretty easy.

View attachment 359812 View attachment 359815

I have the same setup with Deep Metallic Blue and Replika R187. Wondering if the ones from Tesla website would cover these? I switched from the 19 stilettos. Forgive my ignorance, but do i currently have covers on I see grey plastic.. I can't even tell.

IMG_20181208_134446.jpg IMG_20181209_165009.jpg IMG_20181209_165024.jpgIMG_20181208_134401.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same setup with Deep Metallic Blue and Replika R187. Wondering if the ones from Tesla website would cover these? I switched from the 19 stilettos. Forgive my ignorance, but do i currently have covers on I see grey plastic.. I can't even tell.
The lug nut covers are small plastic caps that go over the lug nuts. Your photo does not have the lug nut covers. Here is a comparison.
Lug nut covers.jpg

I got them from Tesla shop with the logo centre caps as the "aero wheel cap kit"
Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

You may be able to get them separately from a Tesla service centre, or similar products from other sources such as Amazon or ebay.

However make sure you get the lug nut cover puller or something similar as you won't easily be able to remove the caps from the recessed R187 sockets without one, it's a pretty snug fit with little room to pry them out otherwise (a picture of Tesla's puller is in the tesla shop entry above).

Last edited:
The lug nut covers are small plastic caps that go over the lug nuts. Your photo does not have the lug nut covers. Here is a comparison.View attachment 360087

I got them from Tesla shop with the logo centre caps as the "aero wheel cap kit"
Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

You may be able to get them separately from a Tesla service centre, or similar products from other sources such as Amazon or ebay.

However make sure you get the lug nut cover puller or something similar as you won't easily be able to remove the caps from the recessed R187 sockets without one, it's a pretty snug fit with little room to pry them out otherwise (a picture of Tesla's puller is in the tesla shop entry above).

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the side by side comparison. I think iIll definitely just pick up the caps from Tesla since i can't find anything on Ebay where the price is even reasonably cheaper. Therefore it'll for sure have the "puller" included. If you end up getting Blue caps, please be sure to post them. I'd love to see how they look. Clearly you have good taste too.,.LOL

Have you considered painting you calibers? I did mine in red and absolutely love it and so happy i did.

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the side by side comparison. I think iIll definitely just pick up the caps from Tesla since i can't find anything on Ebay where the price is even reasonably cheaper. Therefore it'll for sure have the "puller" included. If you end up getting Blue caps, please be sure to post them. I'd love to see how they look. Clearly you have good taste too.,.LOL

Have you considered painting you calibers? I did mine in red and absolutely love it and so happy i did.

I've been looking into it but probably will never get around to it, I don't see them much with the aeros on, and I'm kind of liking the futuristic look the aeros have.

I've gotten the blue lug nuts and here are some pictures (its from my garage at night so excuse the poor lighting).
lug_side.jpg
lug_angle.jpg
lug_tire.jpg
lug_car (2).jpg

They are lighter in colour than the deep metallic blue, but it does give a bit of an accent to the wheels.

Its a set of hefty 14x1.5 acorn nuts with locks, 4 normal lugs plus a spline locking lug per wheel, and comes with two spline sockets for the locking lugs. The normal lugs use a 21 mm socket, the same as the factory zinc lugs, and the locking spline sockets are 13/16", close enough to the 21 mm to work with a 21 mm socket to install them onto the lugs (it is a bit loose with a 21 mm socket, but the nuts aren't).

The widest part of the nut at the base, while wider than the widest part of the Tesla nut, is just a hair smaller than a 21 mm socket, so it should fit in any rim that you can use on a Tesla.

BLUE HEMI/SRT8 FORD MUSTANG LUG NUTS 14x1.5 C'DAK ACORN LUG & LOCK ANTHONY KALI | eBay

I've been looking into it but probably will never get around to it, I don't see them much with the aeros on, and I'm kind of liking the futuristic look the aeros have.

I've gotten the blue lug nuts and here are some pictures (its from my garage at night so excuse the poor lighting).
View attachment 360246 View attachment 360247 View attachment 360248 View attachment 360258
They are lighter in colour than the deep metallic blue, but it does give a bit of an accent to the wheels.

Its a set of hefty 14x1.5 acorn nuts with locks, 4 normal lugs plus a spline locking lug per wheel, and comes with two spline sockets for the locking lugs. The normal lugs use a 21 mm socket, the same as the factory zinc lugs, and the locking spline sockets are 13/16", close enough to the 21 mm to work with a 21 mm socket to install them onto the lugs (it is a bit loose with a 21 mm socket, but the nuts aren't).

The widest part of the nut at the base, while wider than the widest part of the Tesla nut, is just a hair smaller than a 21 mm socket, so it should fit in any rim that you can use on a Tesla.

BLUE HEMI/SRT8 FORD MUSTANG LUG NUTS 14x1.5 C'DAK ACORN LUG & LOCK ANTHONY KALI | eBay

Maybe blue Tesla ‘T’s for the Center cap to go with it?

Vinyl Wheel Decal Inserts (All Models)

353CD64E-8586-4053-B82A-EA864945BC9A.jpeg

I regret mounting them with my winters too. They look good in photos but look amazing in person. Although with the Hakka R3s getting curb rash on rims isn’t an issue. Ask me how I found out on the first day with them on.

Ha! The same thing happened to me when I put the R187s on my S for winter rims a few years ago. I just couldn't bring myself to put the stock ones back on come spring so I bought another set of the R187. No regrets!

I was able to remove one of the 4 hubcaps using a suction cup from Amazon, but the other 3 are being stubborn. Is there a recommended suction cup for removing these hubcaps? Maybe heating it up first as it's rather cold or adding moisture to increase the seal strength?

I was able to remove one of the 4 hubcaps using a suction cup from Amazon, but the other 3 are being stubborn. Is there a recommended suction cup for removing these hubcaps? Maybe heating it up first as it's rather cold or adding moisture to increase the seal strength?

If you mean center caps, this is how I remove them (not my video -- thanks go to the poster):

Really easy to do.