Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report: 2016 Nissan LEAF To Get 25% Larger Battery/More Range, New Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
With the market demanding a longer range LEAF to better compete against the likes of the next generation of Chevrolet Volt and other new EV offerings, the current generation of Nissan LEAF will be getting a larger 30 kWh battery for the higher trim levels of the car this Fall.

The move to increase the range of the car by Nissan does not represent the capabilities of the next generation of LEAF – due out in Q2 2017, but does fit with what InsideEVs has been projecting to come along for the past 18 months or so on the current model.

http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-get-25-larger-battery/

No one has an opinion?

Will 30 kWh be enough to hold off the "affordable" BEV competitors like eGolf,Soul EV,Spark EV, 500e, Focus Electric etc and keep Nissan as the dominant player in this price segment?

Will LEAF 30 kWh range be enough to keep a large number of previous Nissan buyers from switching to a 50 AER Volt 2.0?

Last edited:
My maximum commute on the weekends is around 80 miles, so this range improvement is significant for me. I'm hoping to be in a Model 3 by the end of 2017 or early 2018, so the new 2016 LEAF would be great for a 24 or 30 month lease.

That battery increase will definatelly make it a contender when my wife and I turn the volt in at the end of its lease in september. currently, the only options available to us are to lease a B-Class or Gen 2 volt, or to try to scrape together enough cash to buy a CPO Model S (who would not like to be a 2 Tesla family?). In a perfect world, we would lease something that is cheap for 3 years, and then buy a CPO Model X at the end of that lease.

I thought the 2017 was the Leaf that wasn't going to look... visually challenged?
I'm not saying a blind person drew it... I'm saying if they did, it would look less fugly.
Those eyes and that ass end... it's just... omg someone gouge my eyes out, please.

Poor Datsun.

I wonder if Nissan will also increase the motor power to handle the extra weight?

We don't know what the extra weight would be. But for reference the SL currently does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. I suspect most buyers wouldn't be too concerned if that increased a bit.

From a personal point of view 25% extra capacity would mean:
- I have absolutely no doubt that it'd be able to do my commute on cold winter days, including with extra miles when I'm pooling. (I think the current one could do my commute because I don't like too much heat anyway, but I'm not certain).
- A monthly round trip to friends would be a no-doubter, except on very cold of winter days when it'd be a maybe. (We can plug in at their house).

The more miles the car can do, the more value in getting one. Improvements we're seeing _now_ just make me more confident that when I replace my Prius in 2019, it'll be with some kind of BEV.

I think this will be the first (mass produced) car with three digit range (miles, not km) without a Tesla battery and powertrain. If true, that is pretty significant. It would make the Leaf a lot more useable for me, for the (few) days that I drive around town beyond the Volt's EV range (I would need 60-110 miles). I would still need a Volt or Tesla for out of town trips.

It will be interesting to see Nissan's pricing, and specs for the new battery, such as cell number, arrangement, and type. Also, battery replacement cost and its total mass. Does it fit in the same space as the 24 kWh battery or not? Can 2011-15 models be retrofitted with the 30 kWh?

GSP

I think this will be the first (mass produced) car with three digit range (miles, not km) without a Tesla battery and powertrain. If true, that is pretty significant.
GSP

First official three-digit range. Although it's officially rated at 93 miles, I've seen several reports of the Kia Soul EV having a real-world mixed range of more than 100 miles in some conditions. But for me, to be truly considered a reliable three-digit car, the minimum threshold is 150 miles.

I thought the 2017 was the Leaf that wasn't going to look... visually challenged?
I'm not saying a blind person drew it... I'm saying if they did, it would look less fugly.
Those eyes and that ass end... it's just... omg someone gouge my eyes out, please.

Poor Datsun.
This is not officially the "gen 2" Leaf. That one is a 2017 model (supposedly) and will offer double the range. The 2016 still uses the older body style and is a smaller upgrade for now.

for reference the SL currently does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds

Leaf does 0-60mph in around 10 seconds as per:
Nissan Leaf 0-60 Times - 0-60 Specs

Let's be honest here, the Leaf is underpowered compared to it's EV competition, hell, my Smart ED is faster!

- - - Updated - - -

If I had to buy a car for my kids to use today I would buy a Leaf. There is no other choice right now.

Well, my teenager likes our Smart ED. It's an option. And much funkier (which appeals to young people). I have the rediculous boy racer red interior option and clear roof. It's a fun little runabout and given it only holds two people, restricts the "fill the car with friends" method of getting to/from parties for teenagers...not that I ever did that ;-)

If I had kids, I'd go with a smart ED as car of choice, too. No point is spending twice as much on a lease for a smart as you would for a Leaf, which (with two seats and a little less highway range) is pretty much the same car otherwise.

meanwhile LG Chem announced that they have 120kW battery packs for cars available for sale now today to manufacturers "looking to exceed the range of a Tesla Model S"

LG Chem Says Its Ready To Supply 300 Mile, 120 kWh Batteries

They do not say if they are selling just 2nd Gen sells or an actual pack.

What is the energy and power density? What is the cost per kWh at the cell or pack level?

Can OEMs install in a mid size sedan or do they need to install in a full size SUV to achieve 300 miles. EPA, NEDC or JEVS miles?

Will OEMs have to charge their customers $35k or $135k to make a profit?

Inquiring minds want to know.