Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report after a 2700 mile trip with Software Limited 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a long road trip from San Diego up to Sun Valley ID and Jackson WY and I thought I'd share some things I learned.

Time estimates: I averaged about 50 mph including charge times. This seemed to be a good rule of thumb over the trip. Charge time wasn't the big delay, we hit some bad weather in Northern Utah on New Years day that ground us to a halt in Tremonton UT. Also on the 3rd, we drove From Sun Valley to Jackson, this ended up being a very long leg due to icing on the roads, limiting our pace to 40-45 mph on roads posted as 80 zones.

Even with the 60's limited range, the only time this was a real issue was traveling from Sun Valley to Idaho Falls. Instead of taking the direct route (155 miles) i decided to go around and take the highway via Twin Falls. This added some time to the trip but added a lot of piece of mind. This is probably the only time I wold consider a 75 and it's kind of an edge case unless you live in the area or if I regularly did this with a ski-box. If I'd been more confident in the road conditions I might have just slow-steamed it there to stretch the range since the Highway was slow anyway, but there was no room for error.

I still haven't figured out the optimum point at which it is quicker on average to charge shorter and drive slower. I did some back of the envelope estimates of this but it came out to being only about a 5-10 net gain per 100 miles so I don't even know if there's much point in worrying about it. Since the 60 still charges fast near the top of it's limited capacity I found it better to just way over charge and then not have to worry about possibly slowing down or turning down the climate control in sub-zero temps.

Consumption / Range: The trip planner in the car is very overly optimistic in cold weather. Once the temperatures dropped below 40 consumption went way up, and on one leg from Pocatello to Tremonton i was pulling down 450 wh/mile at 70 mph in -17F. I noticed as the temperatures dropped that the tire pressures dropped about 5 psi. I added some back but didn't notice a big difference, but conditions were variable so this is hardly a good experiment.

I tended to have better luck just taking whatever the consumption was on the last leg, multiplying it by the length of the next leg, then dividing by 56.5 kWh (accessible battery capacity estimated by me, may be wrong) and adding 20% to that. I played a bit with the Windity app for estimating headwinds but I haven't reached the level of Bjørn-fu where i know how much the headwinds and elevation changes add.

Autopilot: Really helps with fatigue on a trip like this. We did 800 miles a day with 2 drives and not too much trouble. For some sections where I couldn't use AP I really felt the difference of having to drive manually for hours.

Chains: I tried out the Traks tire chains heading over the pass into Jackson, they worked great but I didn't end up needing them so I took them off after a few miles. as the road was actually better cleared than it looked at the bottom. Keeping them in the frunk simplified things quite a bit.

Other Notes: The Twin Falls Supercharger has an amazing view of the Snake River Canyon where Evel Knievel made his attempted rocket jump.

Plug share misses some chargers that the chargpoint app has. I found out after 2 days in Jackson that there's charger near the lifts. Even my hotel concierge and valet didn't know about it and it was 1/2 burried by the plough, but it did a great job charging to 100% and warming up the car before I got off the slopes.

Overall I'm glad I drove instead of flying. I haven't seen that much of the American west, and it saved me about $300 versus flying. Taking regular breaks really helped me control fatigue as prior to this I'd set my limit around 500-600 miles with an ICE, having done Michigan to DC several times and feeling no desire to continue further afterwards.

Attachments

• AAII7462.JPG
    AAII7462.JPG
    627.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    409.6 KB · Views: 130
  • NBTU1536.JPG
    NBTU1536.JPG
    593.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
What a great trip. I will admit that I don't have the ba**s yet to take my 60 in these conditions and in a fairly remote part of the country. Did you see any Teslas in Idaho and Jackson ?

I saw an X heading south out of sun valley but other than that no others north of Salt Lake City.

A couple people in IcEs stopped to ask questions when they saw me charging so I don't think they see many Teslas up there

I have been using the same technique in cold weather. Seems really absurd to be making little hand (mind) calculations while sitting in a car that is driving itself down the freeway but whatever works.

Car and Driver has a couple trips documented in articles about driving from MI to VIR (race course) with both the old (apparently worse) navi and the update. Good reads.

Just be aware that in some cases the system panics 1/2 way into a trip route when it finally realizes the battery is dropping faster than planned. At that point it does some really wack things including telling you to return to the SC you just left EVEN when you are closer to the next one.

The B team has obviously been assigned to the navi, but that's because the A team is busy with EV and AP development...and that's for the best

@twonius,

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.

I did not expect the new 60 to work so well for long trips in below freezing weather. Your experience should be helpful to anyone considering a 60.

GSP

PS. "Bjørn-fu". Love it. LOL. I have watched most of Bjørn's videos. He's the man!

Reactions: mikerathbun
I have been using the same technique in cold weather. Seems really absurd to be making little hand (mind) calculations while sitting in a car that is driving itself down the freeway but whatever works.

Car and Driver has a couple trips documented in articles about driving from MI to VIR (race course) with both the old (apparently worse) navi and the update. Good reads.

Just be aware that in some cases the system panics 1/2 way into a trip route when it finally realizes the battery is dropping faster than planned. At that point it does some really wack things including telling you to return to the SC you just left EVEN when you are closer to the next one.

The B team has obviously been assigned to the navi, but that's because the A team is busy with EV and AP development...and that's for the best

Yeah I had it panic once 6 miles after the charger because we were driving fast up a hill. It'd be good to have some options to configure driving style and perhaps add some corrections for weather.

Another feature which is technically possible but we probably won't see for a while due to limited development resources. Too bad since my solution just ties up the charger longer. If I had more confidence I'd charger 10% less.

My understanding (and experience -we are based in Montana) is that the big driver of increased consumption at very low temperatures is increased air density. And what I mean by that is the biggest factor that you can't control, so it doesn't include things like driving around with the temperature set at 80

My understanding (and experience -we are based in Montana) is that the big driver of increased consumption at very low temperatures is increased air density. And what I mean by that is the biggest factor that you can't control, so it doesn't include things like driving around with the temperature set at 80

I'm not an aerospace engineer, so I may be wrong, but back of the envelope, even if the air density increases 10% that's likely only going to increase you consumption by a less than that since rolling resistance of the tires is not affected by air temp (neglecting inflation pressure changes). Also, there'd probably be some offsetting of the temperature effects by increased altitude (4-5000 feet above Sea Level in places)

The Drag Equation

I think it's the battery heater having trouble keeping up with what is probably a -50F wind chill at highway speeds pulling heat off the whole bottom surface of the car. as my consumption was in the 450 wh/mi range, much more than could be accounted for by environmental effects on dry roads.

I just got back from a long road trip from San Diego up to Sun Valley ID and Jackson WY and I thought I'd share some things I learned.

Time estimates: I averaged about 50 mph including charge times. This seemed to be a good rule of thumb over the trip. Charge time wasn't the big delay, we hit some bad weather in Northern Utah on New Years day that ground us to a halt in Tremonton UT. Also on the 3rd, we drove From Sun Valley to Jackson, this ended up being a very long leg due to icing on the roads, limiting our pace to 40-45 mph on roads posted as 80 zones.

Even with the 60's limited range, the only time this was a real issue was traveling from Sun Valley to Idaho Falls. Instead of taking the direct route (155 miles) i decided to go around and take the highway via Twin Falls. This added some time to the trip but added a lot of piece of mind. This is probably the only time I wold consider a 75 and it's kind of an edge case unless you live in the area or if I regularly did this with a ski-box. If I'd been more confident in the road conditions I might have just slow-steamed it there to stretch the range since the Highway was slow anyway, but there was no room for error.

I still haven't figured out the optimum point at which it is quicker on average to charge shorter and drive slower. I did some back of the envelope estimates of this but it came out to being only about a 5-10 net gain per 100 miles so I don't even know if there's much point in worrying about it. Since the 60 still charges fast near the top of it's limited capacity I found it better to just way over charge and then not have to worry about possibly slowing down or turning down the climate control in sub-zero temps.

Consumption / Range: The trip planner in the car is very overly optimistic in cold weather. Once the temperatures dropped below 40 consumption went way up, and on one leg from Pocatello to Tremonton i was pulling down 450 wh/mile at 70 mph in -17F. I noticed as the temperatures dropped that the tire pressures dropped about 5 psi. I added some back but didn't notice a big difference, but conditions were variable so this is hardly a good experiment.

I tended to have better luck just taking whatever the consumption was on the last leg, multiplying it by the length of the next leg, then dividing by 56.5 kWh (accessible battery capacity estimated by me, may be wrong) and adding 20% to that. I played a bit with the Windity app for estimating headwinds but I haven't reached the level of Bjørn-fu where i know how much the headwinds and elevation changes add.

Autopilot: Really helps with fatigue on a trip like this. We did 800 miles a day with 2 drives and not too much trouble. For some sections where I couldn't use AP I really felt the difference of having to drive manually for hours.

Chains: I tried out the Traks tire chains heading over the pass into Jackson, they worked great but I didn't end up needing them so I took them off after a few miles. as the road was actually better cleared than it looked at the bottom. Keeping them in the frunk simplified things quite a bit.

Other Notes: The Twin Falls Supercharger has an amazing view of the Snake River Canyon where Evel Knievel made his attempted rocket jump.

Plug share misses some chargers that the chargpoint app has. I found out after 2 days in Jackson that there's charger near the lifts. Even my hotel concierge and valet didn't know about it and it was 1/2 burried by the plough, but it did a great job charging to 100% and warming up the car before I got off the slopes.

Overall I'm glad I drove instead of flying. I haven't seen that much of the American west, and it saved me about $300 versus flying. Taking regular breaks really helped me control fatigue as prior to this I'd set my limit around 500-600 miles with an ICE, having done Michigan to DC several times and feeling no desire to continue further afterwards.
I am a new member. Just got an S60D. I really like your report. My S looks just like yours but perhaps you are running AP 1? I do not have tire pressure info, do not have Autopilot except on freeway 50 mph. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, my S is nothing like test drive I had.

Reactions: Maaz
I am a new member. Just got an S60D. I really like your report. My S looks just like yours but perhaps you are running AP 1? I do not have tire pressure info, do not have Autopilot except on freeway 50 mph. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, my S is nothing like test drive I had.
Thanks!

Yep, I got my car back In August so I'm on AP1.
There seem to be a lot of blue cars on 19's, I've run into at least 2 twins locally.
Your car does have tire pressure sensors, you just wont see it until you get a low tire pressure warning or if you select it in the driver's display by holding down one of the the thumb wheels on the steering wheel.

If you do get the alert just click the thumb wheel for 3 seconds to dismiss it so you can see the map in the driver's screen again. If you drive somewhere cold you'll likely encounter this.

Last edited:
Personal experience here, riding a bicycle in -20F temps, air density and wind resistance is NOTHING compared to increased viscosity of grease and tire rolling resistance! So much more energy is required that I couldn't travel more than 1/2 my normal summer speed (~8-10 mph vs 15-20 mph summer). Of course things are much different in a car at 60 mph, but still there is a reason that people recommend snow tires and there are summer and winter motor oils.

Thanks!

Yep, I got my car back In August so I'm on AP1.
There seem to be a lot of blue cars on 19's, I've run into at least 2 twins locally.
Your car does have tire pressure sensors, you just wont see it until you get a low tire pressure warning or if you select it in the driver's display by holding down one of the the thumb wheels on the steering wheel.

If you do get the alert just click the thumb wheel for 3 seconds to dismiss it so you can see the map in the driver's screen again. If you drive somewhere cold you'll likely encounter this.

Thank you so much. I did found out I have tire pressure info when one morning up popped a warning that left rear was low at 37 lbs. I was about to leave on a 400 mile trip. I checked the pressure of all my tires. The other three were all at 39. I put 45 in all and have checked them several times. No problem. What a great forum for information.