Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Ford Building More EV Mustangs than Gas Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A new report from Bloomberg says Ford is building more electric Mustang Mach Mach-E vehicles than the traditional gas-powered Mustang.

“Ford has built 27,816 electric Mustang Mach-E models at a plant in Mexico this year compared to 26,089 copies of the traditional internal combustion engine Mustang at a factory in Michigan, according to production data the automaker released Thursday,” the report said.

It’s quite a milestone given Mustang’s nearly 60-year legacy and the fact that the Mach-E is a fresh entrant to the market. 

Ford Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley said the Mach-E has been a hit.

“Mach-E has been much stronger than we expected, so we’ve totally run out of stock,” Farley told reporters at the introduction of the electric F-150 Lightning pickup May 19, according to Bloomberg.

Farley said he expects four-in-10 Fords to be electric by 2030. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The comparison is silly, the Mustang EV is not a real mustang, the 2 cars are comepletely and totally different and have completely different customer bases. It means nothing.
I still think it's great news that Ford has a success on its hands with the Mach-E. It'll lead to improvements in the class, competition, and demands to increase electric grid capacity which will have other positive effects.

Now, if they could only decide on a standard battery pack so they could be swapped at stations in-stead of charged like propane tanks we'd really be onto something.

The comparison is silly, the Mustang EV is not a real mustang, the 2 cars are comepletely and totally different and have completely different customer bases. It means nothing.
The Mustang is the top selling entry-level sports car and has a level of brand recognition that trumps Tesla by a wide margin.

If Ford is truly producing more electric versions of that vehicle, it’s a huge win for them.

The writing is on the wall Elon. You better stop over promising and under delivering, and you also better get your support act together - fast.
The writing on the wall is next to the non-functional or non-existent CCS charging station you need to continue your trip without waiting 8 hours to Level 2 charge. The writing typically contains unprintable words. :eek:

By the time there are CCS 150kW, unshared stalls in numbers to support this "threat" to Supercharging, FSD in Teslas will probably be on HW4.

The writing on the wall is next to the non-functional or non-existent CCS charging station you need to continue your trip without waiting 8 hours to Level 2 charge. The writing typically contains unprintable words. :eek:

LOL, true but the Mach-E does not have the range. I think the reason CCS is lacking is because of a lack in need - right now Tesla’s are about the only car with enough range to honestly leverage enroute charging options. But if the big boys start pumping out EVs in big numbers, CCS will likely appear. Just image the money available from the big boys to make it happen once they create the demand.

My point is Tesla is clearly the leader now, but Tesla buyers fall into the category of “Early Adopters.“ Mainstream buys will not tolerate what most of us do and they will buy from the big boys who, for all their faults, understand how to build, deliver and support cars.

This is Tesla’s market to lose. BTW I love my MS!

Reactions: BigNick
LOL, true but the Mach-E does not have the range. I think the reason CCS is lacking is because of a lack in need - right now Tesla’s are about the only car with enough range to honestly leverage enroute charging options. But if the big boys start pumping out EVs in big numbers, CCS will likely appear. Just image the money available from the big boys to make it happen once they create the demand.

My point is Tesla is clearly the leader now, but Tesla buyers fall into the category of “Early Adopters.“ Mainstream buys will not tolerate what most of us do and they will buy from the big boys who, for all their faults, understand how to build, deliver and support cars.

This is Tesla’s market to lose. BTW I love my MS!
It may have enough range for road tripping, but only if there are enough CCS stations (that work) on the route.

Reactions: bruce4000
A 4-door crossover SUV is building built in more quantities than a sporty 2-door 2+2? Shocking. 😐

Midsize SUVs
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 1.46.15 PM.png

Muscle cars
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 1.46.21 PM.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the Mach E was built. But to compare aggregate numbers between Mach Es and traditional Mustangs is comparing apples to oranges. Even if the Mach E is an EV, the market share for crossover SUVs is WAY bigger than the sporty 2-door 2+2 market. So it makes sense a Mach E would be built in more quantities. The reverse would be more shocking; Mach Es built in fewer quantities than traditional Mustangs.

By the time there are CCS 150kW, unshared stalls in numbers to support this "threat" to Supercharging, FSD in Teslas will probably be on HW4.

I tried road-tripping my wife's BMW i3 a few times this spring, and while the CCS charging was inconvenient, it was not unworkable. Here's a video about one of them,
(Although the i3 has a short range that's not great on the road-- ~150 miles -- it can't charge faster than 50 kWh, so any old CCS would do.)

I pick up my Tesla MY next weekend. Looking forward to re-creating these trips with it over the next few months. I think it will be much easier in the Tesla in general, but for at least one of the them, an Electrify America station with 150 and 350 kWh stalls looks like it's much more convenient to the route than the closest Supercharger.

Reactions: justjack77
I tried road-tripping my wife's BMW i3 a few times this spring, and while the CCS charging was inconvenient, it was not unworkable. Here's a video about one of them,
(Although the i3 has a short range that's not great on the road-- ~150 miles -- it can't charge faster than 50 kWh, so any old CCS would do.)

I pick up my Tesla MY next weekend. Looking forward to re-creating these trips with it over the next few months. I think it will be much easier in the Tesla in general, but for at least one of the them, an Electrify America station with 150 and 350 kWh stalls looks like it's much more convenient to the route than the closest Supercharger.
Which CCS car under $50K charges at 350kW? But you see how a cross-country trip with a CCS EV in fact IS much more challenging than in a Tesla.

And again, that assumes the CCS station is operational when you pull in with a 5% charge. CCS is a major cluster.

Reactions: Brando
:D
Tesla MY has sold over 200k in North America alone so far from a single factory. They'll be built in Austin when it's up and running. MYs are being built in Shanghai as well. A single MY has yet to be sold in Europe.

The writing is on the wall Elon. You better stop over promising and under delivering, and you also better get your support act together - fast.

Ford had to take their most valuable IP, the Mustang name, and slapped it on a CUV to get some traction. ;)

The Mustang is the top selling entry-level sports car and has a level of brand recognition that trumps Tesla by a wide margin.

If Ford is truly producing more electric versions of that vehicle, it’s a huge win for them.

:D
Tesla MY has sold over 200k in North America alone so far from a single factory. They'll be built in Austin when it's up and running. MYs are being built in Shanghai as well. A single MY has yet to be sold in Europe.

Ford had to take their most valuable IP, the Mustang name, and slapped it on a CUV to get some traction. ;)
Mustang is the way Ford says "It's quick".

People can quite rightly criticize Musk for his bullshit, but ,.,,

[QUOTE name="Another Bullmodifiedforsensitivityting CEO (this time it's Ford)"]
Mach-E has been much stronger than we expected, so we’ve totally run out of stock,[/QUOTE]

We've heard this same bullmodifiedforsensitivity from every car company that has released a decent BEV to the market.

Last edited:

Ford isn't producing electric versions of the Mustang. The Mach-E has nothing in common with the pony car. The Mach-E is more like an electric Edge or Escape. They should be comparing the numbers with Edges and Escapes produced, ICE crossovers in the same size class.

It may have enough range for road tripping, but only if there are enough CCS stations (that work) on the route.

As for non-Tesla fast chargers, it's a chicken-egg problem. More charge stations will appear when more EVs are sold, and more EVs will be sold when there are more charge stations. IMO no manufacturer would have stepped up to the plate any time soon if Tesla hadn't built out their own network.

Mustang sales have been on a steady decline year over year. Ford had seen the writing on the wall hence the Mach-e and the push for all EVs in the future.

Is the Mach-e ready to challenge Tesla both on quality and reliability yet? I don't think so.

Hate to be blunt, but this car has cheap parts written all over hit. It's just a matter of what's going to break next. Remember, this is the company that's been in business for over a century and should know how to put a car together, or so everyone claims.

And that's just the hardware, the software is another issue altogether.

I get that people are on the Mach-e hype bandwagon, making bold claims about quality, but the facts aren't adding up.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Mustang sales have been on a steady decline year over year. Ford had seen the writing on the wall hence the Mach-e and the push for all EVs in the future.

Is the Mach-e ready to challenge Tesla both on quality and reliability yet? I don't think so.

Hate to be blunt, but this car has cheap parts written all over hit. It's just a matter of what's going to break next. Remember, this is the company that's been in business for over a century and should know how to put a car together, or so everyone claims.

And that's just the hardware, the software is another issue altogether.

I get that people are on the Mach-e hype bandwagon, making bold claims about quality, but the facts aren't adding up.
I test drove a 2016 Mustang ragtop and compared it to a 2016 BMW 228i ragtop. Prices were comparable and the build quality of the 228i was far superior. I also test drove a Mach-e before ordering the MY and thought it a reasonable competitor. And good for the field to have more competition. They really need to get their fast charging act together though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I test drove a 2016 Mustang ragtop and compared it to a 2016 BMW 228i ragtop. Prices were comparable and the build quality of the 228i was far superior. I also test drove a Mach-e before ordering the MY and thought it a reasonable competitor. And good for the field to have more competition. They really need to get their fast charging act together though.
Good quality stands the test of time. Initial fit and finish only tell half the story. Quality issues on any car are guaranteed to show up in the auto forums at some point.