Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Ford Doubles Production Target for F-150 Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford has doubled its production target for the all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup, according to a report from Reuters.

The first electric version of the nation’s top-selling truck is expected to start deliveries next year. According to the report, demand for the Lighting has been so strong that Ford has decided to pump $850 million in production efforts.

Ford is now aiming to produce 80,000 electric F-150s in 2024, an increase from 40,000, according to the report. 

The company is planning to build 15,000 next year, 55,000 in 2023, and up to 160,000 units of a second-generation 2025 Lightning.

Ford unveiled the vehicle in May. The truck will have two separate liquid-cooled batteries, the 230-mile standard and the 300-mile extended range. Ford says the F-150 Lightning targets 563 horsepower, 775 lb.-ft. of “near-instantaneous” torque and a 0-60 mph time in the mid-4-second range. Ford is targeting a maximum 2,000 pounds of payload in the standard-range model with 18-inch wheels, and a maximum 10,000 pounds of available towing capacity on XLT and Lariat trucks with the extended-range battery and Max Trailer Tow Package.

The F-150 Lighting is part of a pack of electric pickups coming to market soon, including the Tesla Cybertruck, GMC Hummer, and the Rivian R1T.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect Ford will sell all they can make.
- Won't make enough to meet demand - example: Tesla can't make enough
- Dealers are the wild card - buyer beware is the usual advice
- will Ford ask for bail-out ? I suspect so bail out 1 or 2 in next decade?
- batteries the usual limiting factor - even for Tesla (now silicon chips too)

CyberTruck NOT a work truck like many F-150s - interesting to watch sales.
How do you figure the cyber truck is “NOT” a work truck?
Going by the specs of each the Cyber truck is clearly a better work truck
It has more towing capacity, higher clearance, more bed load capacity, a bigger bed, a longer range and it’s made of a tougher body.

Reactions: EinSV
Let me say it again.....the CT hasn't been proven to be a better work truck while the F-150 is currently the better work truck.

All this "The Cybertruck is a better......." is nothing but assumptions ....

The Cybetruck is still a prototype

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Let me say it again.....the CT hasn't been proven to be a better work truck while the F-150 is currently the better work truck.

All this "The Cybertruck is a better......." is nothing but assumptions ....

The Cybetruck is still a prototype
The F150 ICE vehicles are proven work trucks. The Lightening Hasn’t proven anything yet.
It is as much of a prototype as the cyber truck.
One could argue even more so since Tesla has much more experience building EVs
As I said in my post , “going on the specs of both”
You are making an assumption that the F150 EV will be like the F150 ICE vehicles.
That’s a bold assumption.

The F150 ICE vehicles are proven work trucks. The Lightening Hasn’t proven anything yet.
It is as much of a prototype as the cyber truck.
One could argue even more so since Tesla has much more experience building EVs
As I said in my post , “going on the specs of both”
You are making an assumption that the F150 EV will be like the F150 ICE vehicles.
That’s a bold assumption.

There is no difference except the powertrain, everything else is the same if not better as far as suspension. The underbody will pretty much have the FX4 package with skid plates.

Range and convenience of fueling up is where the F-150 ICE is superior to the Lightning.

As far as the the Lightning being a prototype, yes you are correct. I should have worded it better. The Cybertruck is a Concept, the Lightning is a prototype with several running around being tested.

F150 would need to triple its range before it’s usable. CT would need to show any signs of reality before it’s taken seriously.

what about Rivian or hummer ? Somehow rivian screwed up the front end but otherwise looks semi promising. Haven’t looked into hummer much yet, not a Gm fan

It has more towing capacity, higher clearance, more bed load capacity, a bigger bed, a longer range and it’s made of a tougher body.
Actual truck users (Sandy Munro farmer turned Machinist. worked at Ford, and founded Leandesign.com he has CyberTruck reservation and another 4 are reserved by his company - or employees)
He mentioned many things the F-150 was better work truck. No one vehicle does everything - every buyer must decide what they need/want.

Last edited:
Not having a flat bed side is a legitimate gripe. The winged bed side provides useful structure and aerodynamics as well, but it will make side loading more difficult. Does that rule it out as a work truck? No, but it's a notable potential issue.

Reactions: AquaY
Between the two, the Cybertruck has a 'coolness' factor the F:150 won't have. It also has a more experienced company backing it up where it matters: software control, automation, and the powertrain. Ford's EV track record for reliability so far, is underwhelming.

An electric F:150 would also have to prove itself as a reliable work truck before many would take it seriously in that regard, even the Ford faithful. It's not that EVs are not capable, it's just new territory. They can also be complicated to repair depending on their design, another area where Tesla is superior. Ford's decades of engine / powertrain experience doesn't apply anymore. And a truck chassis isn't anything special.

As a work truck though, I think more would look at the F:150 in that regard. While the Cybertruck will be capable, my take is that more people would see it as a jack of all trades type vehicle which I feel would be a big sales boost.

Last edited:
Between the two, the Cybertruck has a 'coolness' factor the F:150 won't have. It also has a more experienced company backing it up where it matters: software control, automation, and the powertrain. Ford's EV track record for reliability so far, is underwhelming.

An electric F:150 would also have to prove itself as a reliable work truck before many would take it seriously in that regard, even the Ford faithful. It's not that EVs are not capable, it's just new territory. They can also be complicated to repair depending on their design, another area where Tesla is superior. Ford's decades of engine / powertrain experience doesn't apply anymore. And a truck chassis isn't anything special.

As a work truck though, I think more would look at the F:150 in that regard. While the Cybertruck will be capable, my take is that more people would see it as a jack of all trades type vehicle which I feel would be a big sales boost.

I don’t think many people appreciate Tesla’s ability of “software control”. It’s one of the major turnoffs of many buyers not willing to make the jump to EV. Their question is always, who’s owns the car? Musk or me?

As far as coolness….. not sure many workers are looking to look “cool” and Im sure many don’t want to be ridiculed by some who think it looks like a monstrosity

Last edited:
I don’t think many people appreciate Tesla’s ability of “software control”. It’s one of the major turnoffs of many buyers not willing to make the jump to EV. Their question is always, who’s owns the car? Musk or me?

As far as coolness….. not sure many workers are looking to look “cool”
I don;t know one person turned off by Tesla's "software control" Everyone I know thinks it's amazing that I get updates over wifi.
I have lots of friends that are turned off by EVs. Not one because of software control,

The " coolness" factor of the CT is completely negated by the " It's too different" factor IMO
Most pick ups are not used for real work. Guys that do buy pickups for work that I know, like tried and true and ability to get the job done.
When buying new they do like the looks too so coolness in that regard is important.
But " coolness' is completely subjective. 1 man's "coolness" is another man's " That's ugly"

This conversation started by your post stating the CT is NOT ( you capitalized the word) a work truck and i questioned why not?
You are making assumptions that seem unsupported by specs. You also seem to think an ICE F150 somehow translates to an EV F150 being comparable and somehow proven. I think that's completely wrong.

IMO, the first F150 lightenings and Cyber trucks are not being bought as work trucks ( with some exceptions)
Once they are out, that will change.
The great thing to me about having both the Cyber truck and the F150 truck hit the market is proof that EVs work and that will get out to the general population.
Both vehicles are going to be great for that for different reasons. The CT because it is so different will be noticed and the F150 because it looks like the most popular pick up in America.
While I personally want a CT I hope the F150 is awesome. Competition will make both vehicles better and cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: Brando and Buddyroe

As far as coolness….. not sure many workers are looking to look “cool”
When I say software control, I'm referring to the operation of the various accessories and modules. I could have been clearer there. As far connectivity to the 'home' base, Ford has access to the user's data as well.

Regarding the 'coolness' factor, I'm talking in general. Anecdotal, but the people I know who already preordered the Cybertruck are not workers.

There is a video link in another thread which shows three times the parts in Ford Mach E vs Tesla MY cooling circuit. 3x more coolant too.
Ford has a long way to go to get into the EV business.
Tesla design seems from the ground up, while many other EV offerings tend to take an existing design and force in the battery and electric motors.
Most important is Fords claims in tow capacity and range, want to bet they are not true?

There is a video link in another thread which shows three times the parts in Ford Mach E vs Tesla MY cooling circuit. 3x more coolant too.
Tesla design seems from the ground up, while many other EV offerings tend to take an existing design and force in the battery and electric motors.
Most important is Fords claims in tow capacity and range, want to bet they are not true?

Ill take that bet over Tesla’s claims any day of the week.

Experience tells a different story. Aside from the early Leaf's w/ their air-cooled batteries, non-Tesla EVs have a much better track record of meeting or beating their EPA ratings than Tesla has. Car and Driver did a side by side test w/ the Taycan and MS. Despite there being a massive difference in EPA ranges, the real work range (driving 70mph on a test track) was very close.

But yes, this is a gen 1 product for Ford. Tesla has had several iterations. The heat pump on the MY is definitely a step in the right direction but it is brand new. It has taken Tesla years to figure it out. Also, for all we know they already learned from the Mach E and are using a different cooling system in the F-150.

By putting the Mustang and F-150 names on EVs, Ford is telling everyone that they are committed to building serious EVs. They also outsourced a lot of the EV stuff for the Mach-E and F-150 as they just don't have the knowledge in-house. But they are building it.

Finally, at least the doors on the F-150, the interior door panels line up, and the trunk on the Mach-Es are straight, something Tesla can't seem to figure out.....

Reactions: T3SLAROD
How can you not take that bet? You have Ford making claims about the best selling vehicle in America, I HIGHLY doubt they would put their Truck Reputation on the line without already knowing…..

Meanwhile

Experience tells a different story. Aside from the early Leaf's w/ their air-cooled batteries, non-Tesla EVs have a much better track record of meeting or beating their EPA ratings than Tesla has. Car and Driver did a side by side test w/ the Taycan and MS. Despite there being a massive difference in EPA ranges, the real work range (driving 70mph on a test track) was very close.

But yes, this is a gen 1 product for Ford. Tesla has had several iterations. The heat pump on the MY is definitely a step in the right direction but it is brand new. It has taken Tesla years to figure it out. Also, for all we know they already learned from the Mach E and are using a different cooling system in the F-150.

By putting the Mustang and F-150 names on EVs, Ford is telling everyone that they are committed to building serious EVs. They also outsourced a lot of the EV stuff for the Mach-E and F-150 as they just don't have the knowledge in-house. But they are building it.

Finally, at least the doors on the F-150, the interior door panels line up, and the trunk on the Mach-Es are straight, something Tesla can't seem to figure out.....
Looking at the Mustang and F-150 forums (Coyote and tranny issues) and now the Mach-E with its numerous problems and Ford not yet having a reliable fix for something even as fundamental as PAAK, I beg to differ. And the F-150 might be the best selling truck, but it's far from the most reliable.

As for build quality, have you taken a look at the Mach-E forums lately? Peeling paint, cracking plastic, poor roof alignment, glass roof stress cracks, and constant problems with the instrument panels going out to name a few. And this is the company that's supposed to be way better at build quality?

Yes, Tesla has had a checkered past, but reliability wise (as in get in and drive and expect to reach your destination without issue), Tesla is way above Ford.

Another thing I constantly see Mach-E owners posting about is range. OK great, your Mach-E can go a bit farther. Yet, in almost every trip test, they arrive at their destination way later (an hour or more)than a Tesla. So what good as that extra range when you have to sit at a charger longer, or troubleshoot a handshake problem, or some other random issue? Safety? Not really. A Tesla is more likely to find a working charger and can charge at others if necessary.

At this point, I have no faith Ford coming anywhere close to Tesla in terms overall reliability anytime soon. Maybe if they partner with another company that really knows what they're doing when it comes to EVs. IMO, I have more faith that GM would actually produce a more reliable EV than Ford.

How can you not take that bet? You have Ford making claims about the best selling vehicle in America, I HIGHLY doubt they would put their Truck Reputation on the line without already knowing…..

Meanwhile

Thanks for that link. Could be right. We hope Ford has quality race in them these days, like when they beat Ferrari with Ken Miles. Would love to see it.
But Tesla could be light years ahead of those others. Fords EV production goals also seem low in recent reports (15K then 40K-80K annually),
Mach E is made in Mexico... not USA. Tesla is our first American car since the early 80's, that matters to us and we are frankly very glad to have such a choice.
On the bet, let's pick a % of range, and let's go for the Gents bet. Here we would suggest Tesla is high by ~20%. Tesla = 326 x 0.80 on an MY. Ford is off by greater than 20% in the range estimate is our call. :cool: Time will tell. And that too will affect the truck reputation which is on the line as you noted.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes