Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Ford Doubles Production Target for F-150 Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford has doubled its production target for the all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup, according to a report from Reuters.

The first electric version of the nation’s top-selling truck is expected to start deliveries next year. According to the report, demand for the Lighting has been so strong that Ford has decided to pump $850 million in production efforts.

Ford is now aiming to produce 80,000 electric F-150s in 2024, an increase from 40,000, according to the report. 

The company is planning to build 15,000 next year, 55,000 in 2023, and up to 160,000 units of a second-generation 2025 Lightning.

Ford unveiled the vehicle in May. The truck will have two separate liquid-cooled batteries, the 230-mile standard and the 300-mile extended range. Ford says the F-150 Lightning targets 563 horsepower, 775 lb.-ft. of “near-instantaneous” torque and a 0-60 mph time in the mid-4-second range. Ford is targeting a maximum 2,000 pounds of payload in the standard-range model with 18-inch wheels, and a maximum 10,000 pounds of available towing capacity on XLT and Lariat trucks with the extended-range battery and Max Trailer Tow Package.

The F-150 Lighting is part of a pack of electric pickups coming to market soon, including the Tesla Cybertruck, GMC Hummer, and the Rivian R1T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic Ford support (start from page 23)

To spare anyone interested from reading that full thread. Basically, the driver instrument cluster on the Mach-e makes a buzzing noise (coil whine) that's annoying to quite a few drivers (who has good hearing). Now, I can clearly hear it over the phone video posted, so it has to be pretty noticeable for the phone mic to pick it up.

Basically, Ford said it's normal and they're not doing anything about it. So, through persistence, one member (mirak) got his dealer to replace the screen (which took several days I believe) with a supposedly updated version.

The poor guy was so excited to have his buzz free screen. Guess what? It still buzzes. In fact, I'm not even sure if that's an updated screen. This type of support is nothing new and I've seen it repeated on forums with their other cars.

And this is the company that's going to outdo Tesla?

Classic Ford support (start from page 23)

To spare anyone interested from reading that full thread. Basically, the driver instrument cluster on the Mach-e makes a buzzing noise (coil whine) that's annoying to quite a few drivers (who has good hearing). Now, I can clearly hear it over the phone video posted, so it has to be pretty noticeable for the phone mic to pick it up.

Basically, Ford said it's normal and they're not doing anything about it. So, through persistence, one member (mirak) got his dealer to replace the screen (which took several days I believe) with a supposedly updated version.

The poor guy was so excited to have his buzz free screen. Guess what? It still buzzes. In fact, I'm not even sure if that's an updated screen. This type of support is nothing new and I've seen it repeated on forums with their other cars.

And this is the company that's going to outdo Tesla?

Yes, it is the company that will outdo Tesla. The Mach-E is like Tesla’s first Model 3 with a subpar build quality. 2nd and 3rd year production will be better while Tesla continues to deny any issues. It is well known in the auto industry to never buy a first year model. Yes, Ford will get it right and not deny that there are any issues, unlike Tesla.

Speaking of buzzing…..

Yes, it is the company that will outdo Tesla. The Mach-E is like Tesla’s first Model 3 with a subpar build quality. 2nd and 3rd year production will be better while Tesla continues to deny any issues. It is well known in the auto industry to never buy a first year model. Yes, Ford will get it right and not deny that there are any issues, unlike Tesla.
I'm pretty sure the first Model 3 had no where near the amount of issues facing the Mach-E. But I can agree that a first year model would certainly have some growing pains although you'd think by now, Ford would know how to fit a roof properly. As for getting it right, they haven't gotten their most popular models right yet and they've had decades to do so.

Speaking of buzzing…..
I'd expect a pump to vibrate, not an instrument cluster. Besides, that's a two-page thread since may. How many model 3s have been delivered? And even so, Tesla would certainly remedy the 'issue' if it becomes a common complaint. It doesn't seem to be though. That's the main difference between both companies. As long as sales are up, Ford would let a problem like that continue indefinitely.

Reactions: RobDickinson
When will Ford announce 1st year sold-out ??
I don't think Ford would invest another $850 million unless they were already sold-out for the first year. I don't think Ford can make enough electric f-150s to meet demand. We shall see.
I suspect they can make a good Lightening. Interesting to watch.

For those that don't need a work truck, I think the more SUV like CyberTruck will get the order.

I'm pretty sure the first Model 3 had no where near the amount of issues facing the Mach-E. But I can agree that a first year model would certainly have some growing pains although you'd think by now, Ford would know how to fit a roof properly. As for getting it right, they haven't gotten their most popular models right yet and they've had decades to do so.
So you are new around here. The problems w/ the early M3s are legion. Bumpers that were ripped off the car when it rained. Leaking roofs. Buggy software.

On the just released refresh MS the driver's mirror vibrates so badly that you can't see out of it. Oh and if you try to open the Owner's Manual the screen crashes.

The bottom line is that Tesla's quality is going downhill. We can hope that Ford's will get better.

Those in glass houses should not be throwing stones....

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
So you are new around here. The problems w/ the early M3s are legion. Bumpers that were ripped off the car when it rained. Leaking roofs. Buggy software.

On the just released refresh MS the driver's mirror vibrates so badly that you can't see out of it. Oh and if you try to open the Owner's Manual the screen crashes.

The bottom line is that Tesla's quality is going downhill. We can hope that Ford's will get better.

Those in glass houses should not be throwing stones....
Yes, and the stuff you listed with model 3 is few and far between today. Again, that's the difference between Tesla and Ford. Tesla actually fixes the major stuff going forward. Stuff like the manual crashing on the screen has been there for a while but it worked the last time I tested so it probably got fixed in an OTA. At least they got around to fixing it. Anyway, a manual crashing on the screen is less of an issue than a car door that won't open and leaves you stranded. You're comparing apples to oranges. Yes, I've been here less time than you, but the threads are still there. The biggest issues I saw with the early model 3 were the failing drive units and there have been many revisions since then that's it's rare now. There have been suspension problems with the control arm which still happens every now and then, but a lot less than before. I'm sure there are others that have been fixed already.

And I'll take a vibrating mirror over a car dead on the road because it overheated going down a hill. Again you're comparing minor issues to major ones:

-PAAK not working when you need it can be a major safety issue.
-A door lock panel not functioning when you need it to is a major safety issue
-A car shutting down on the middle of traffic is a major safety issue
-A door not closing because the mechanism that pops-open the door is stuck causing the driver to have to hold the door shut can cause an accident
-Water leaking onto a connector causing the car to give all sorts of errors after a rain storm can be a major issue
-The center console going out while driving can possibly be a safety issue
-etc, etc, etc - too numerous to list

Those are all COMMON issues reported on the Mach-E and owners are required to visit the dealer to get the supposed 'fixes', 90% of which don't seem to be a
permanent fix. So, no real OTA fixes yet. That means there are a lot of Mach-Es running around with potentially serious issues. And you're comparing these to a manual crashing on the Tesla's screen or a vibrating mirror?

Ford is the one claiming to have all these years of experience and I have yet to see it. Plus, they had other cars like Model 3 and the Model Y as a baseline reference. Yet, they still couldn't get it right.

Ford today is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to reliability. They were once good, not these days.

Last edited:
Those are all COMMON issues reported on the Mach-E and owners are required to visit the dealer to get the supposed 'fixes', 90% of which don't seem to be a
permanent fix. So, no real OTA fixes yet. That means there are a lot of Mach-Es running around with potentially serious issues. And you're comparing these to a manual crashing on the Tesla's screen or a vibrating mirror?
You are the one making huge accusations that despite DECADES Ford "hasn't gotten their most popular models right yet." Ford has sold a gazillion more F-150s and Mustangs and every other model than Tesla has. If they are so terrible, why do people keep buying them? History? Brand Loyalty? No. If they didn't do the job then people wouldn't buy them. So what you said is simply wrong.

Based on the car in your .sig and your join date here, I am assuming that you have been a Tesla customer for a total of 5 months. I have been a Tesla customer for 11 YEARS. I have seen the company riding high and also weeks away from bankruptcy. I have experienced stellar customer service and amazing products, and I have been lied to and left without a car for 5 months waiting on parts to be shipped. I know from where the company has come and I can see the path that it is on.

Look, I get it. Your first EV/Tesla is exciting. I love driving electric and a Tesla is a great car. I still have 2 of them and have no plans to replace them. The Lightning or CT will replace our diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee and then we will be totally electric. But after 11 years I can look objectively at the good and the bad. You are still in the honeymoon phase of experiencing the joy of driving electric. What else can I say? Ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: Brando
You are the one making huge accusations that despite DECADES Ford "hasn't gotten their most popular models right yet." Ford has sold a gazillion more F-150s and Mustangs and every other model than Tesla has. If they are so terrible, why do people keep buying them? History? Brand Loyalty? No. If they didn't do the job then people wouldn't buy them. So what you said is simply wrong.

Popularity isn't always an accurate measure of reliability. Brand loyalty with Ford is a thing. For the Mustang (especially the GT, 350 and 500), there's the hype, history and people do like the looks and performance. Ford also spends a ton in advertising and influence over the big publications. But reliability is a different story. They've got a lot of known issues that I had no plans to put up with when I looked at possibly getting a 2018 Mustang GT. I combed over the web like I did for every car I've ever owned.
You are still in the honeymoon phase of experiencing the joy of driving electric. What else can I say? Ignorance is bliss.

You were a Tesla customer during their growing pains. Early adopter of new tech. Issues were to be expected. You should have known that going in. However, the Model 3 / Y and Model S today are a far cry from 10 years ago. I didn't need to be Tesla veteran to know that. And EVs aren't new territory for Ford, so they can't exactly use that as an excuse.

Now, the Mach-E looks like it cannot even meet the performance hype that circulated for months. What else can go wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: electric miles
When you discuss towing range for the F150 lightning keep in mind the Tesla is a very efficient vehicle that gets its range in part ftom excellent aerodynamics. One reason range drops so fast while towing is the dramatic increase in aero drag. The F150 on the other hand starts out as a barn door and gets its range from a big battery. It will see less range degradation while towing since the increase in aero drag will be far less.

Ford has doubled its production target for the all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup, according to a report from Reuters.

The first electric version of the nation’s top-selling truck is expected to start deliveries next year. According to the report, demand for the Lighting has been so strong that Ford has decided to pump $850 million in production efforts.

Ford is now aiming to produce 80,000 electric F-150s in 2024, an increase from 40,000, according to the report.

The company is planning to build 15,000 next year, 55,000 in 2023, and up to 160,000 units of a second-generation 2025 Lightning.

Ford unveiled the vehicle in May. The truck will have two separate liquid-cooled batteries, the 230-mile standard and the 300-mile extended range. Ford says the F-150 Lightning targets 563 horsepower, 775 lb.-ft. of “near-instantaneous” torque and a 0-60 mph time in the mid-4-second range. Ford is targeting a maximum 2,000 pounds of payload in the standard-range model with 18-inch wheels, and a maximum 10,000 pounds of available towing capacity on XLT and Lariat trucks with the extended-range battery and Max Trailer Tow Package.

The F-150 Lighting is part of a pack of electric pickups coming to market soon, including the Tesla Cybertruck, GMC Hummer, and the Rivian R1T.
"Soon" as in my lifetime?

Ford has doubled its production target for the all-electric F-150 Lightning pickup, according to a report from Reuters.

The first electric version of the nation’s top-selling truck is expected to start deliveries next year. According to the report, demand for the Lighting has been so strong that Ford has decided to pump $850 million in production efforts.

The company is planning to build 15,000 next year, 55,000 in 2023, and up to 160,000 units of a second-generation 2025 Lightning.

Go ahead and try and reserve or order a Ford F-150 Lightening.

Reactions: AquaY

Free ad space for Ford. The proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: AquaY