Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Giga Berlin Construction Delayed Six Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A new Tesla factory under construction in Berlin will be delayed by six months, according to a new report.

Automobilwoche, a car industry trade publication, reported Sunday that production at Giga Berlin will not begin until January 2022. Tesla boss Elon Musk officially gave the team half a year more, the report said, citing “company circles.”

Tesla was targeting a July 1 opening of the factory, however, it seems difficulties with permits have cause the delay. The factory in Berlin is one of two currently under construction. Tesla is also building a new factory in Austin, Texas, which is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

There is some dispute around the report. Just a week ago on Tesla’s Q1 2021 earnings call, Chief Executive Elon Musk said both Texas and Berlin should be operational this year. 

“We’re building factories as quickly as we can,” Musk said on the call. “Both Texas and Berlin are progressing well, and we expect to have initial limited production from those factories this year and volume production from Texas and Berlin next year.”

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to get your facts right. Tesla isn't employing people to build factories. It's the contractor. Any issues regarding what they pay their people is not Tesla's responsibility. Also, having lived in Germany and having some understanding of the crazy labor laws there, I seriously doubt a business would survive long if it was known to pay less than the legal minimum!

Reactions: job-lek
You need to get your facts right. Tesla isn't employing people to build factories. It's the contractor. Any issues regarding what they pay their people is not Tesla's responsibility. Also, having lived in Germany and having some understanding of the crazy labor laws there, I seriously doubt a business would survive long if it was known to pay less than the legal minimum!
I actually have my facts straight. Many times companies that hire contractors just look to the side when something like this happens. Also, an old friend of my works at the Giga Berlin Factory and he has been there for 4 months now, laying pipe around the building. He said himself that they are underpaid by 1€, the only reason why isn't making a fuss about it is because its much more money then what he would make in our home country and he will work there for next 2-3 months after that he is going home.