Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report Map Errors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if I'm in the right place. Recently, in my area, they have started the rebuild of an overpass - Yes, the overpass is still open, BUT you are no longer allowed to make a left turn onto it, and of course, navigation still wants you to make the left. Not a huge deal, follow the detour sign down the service road to the next overpass, make the left there, another left, and come back (or go to where ever now that you are on the other side of the highway)

How would one report the change to Tesla (supposed to be closed another 6 months to a year)?

Other forum participants have reported that Tesla uses map data from TomTom and/or OSM (OpenStreetMaps).

I have attempted to report a serious speed limit error (45 mph indicated by Tesla on a 65 mph Interstate) on TomTom many months ago, but so far it has not "taken".

I hope people will post detailed instructions of error reporting procedures they believe have worked for them. I think this point is a mystery to many of us.

Other forum participants have reported that Tesla uses map data from TomTom and/or OSM (OpenStreetMaps).

I have attempted to report a serious speed limit error (45 mph indicated by Tesla on a 65 mph Interstate) on TomTom many months ago, but so far it has not "taken".

I hope people will post detailed instructions of error reporting procedures they believe have worked for them. I think this point is a mystery to many of us.
If Google Maps navigation has the same error, I would start by reporting it there.

Tesla just needs to use Google for NAV and that would fix lots of issues and most likely fix FSDb too. I had a drive where nav wanted me to make a right turn and then immediate u-turn in the intersection even though there is a non protected left turn lane.

speed limit error
speed limit error
My Feb 2022 MSLR gets speed limit information when the camera sees a speed limit sign.

rebuild of an overpass
Reporting construction doesn't make sense. In the case of overpass construction, adding graphics or detours for temporary modifications would require constant daily changes to the maps. Could these daily changes be trusted, how much would it cost to be so fluid? What about storms that wash out roads, closures for parades? Security risks when navigation map is updated showing closures for a presidential visit. 🙄 yup, getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Tesla pulls their map data from Google. Report the error in Google Maps and it should show up in your Tesla once Google accepts the update.
Tesla doesn't use Google Maps. They use Google satellite and map images. So you can change things like business names in Google Maps and that will change since it is embedded in the images but not mapping or navigation info. Looks like Tesla aggregates data for the Navigation Data file from Tom Tom, Open Street Maps and probably some others.

All map and navigation errors or located in here and unless or until this file is updated (about every 6 to 12 months) nothing can change.

IMG_0312.jpeg

Tesla just needs to use Google for NAV and that would fix lots of issues and most likely fix FSDb too. I had a drive where nav wanted me to make a right turn and then immediate u-turn in the intersection even though there is a non protected left turn lane.
Google will never open up their turn-by-turn directions unless you have some sort of business partnership with them and agree to share a ton of user data. Map tiles and POI search is fair game, but not navigation.

Also Tesla probably wants to keep owning their navigation engine because even though the data may not be as consistent in quality as Google Maps, they have special needs with FSD and Supercharger trip planning.

Last edited:
Okay, then any better Nav then what they are using now. In some of the FSDb video's it appears that its fighting with the Nav on directions and that could be the reason why FSDb its missing turns, being in the incorrect lanes, not getting over soon enough, etc..

Okay, then any better Nav then what they are using now. In some of the FSDb video's it appears that its fighting with the Nav on directions and that could be the reason why FSDb its missing turns, being in the incorrect lanes, not getting over soon enough, etc..
I think they need to rely more on vision and only use the course map data for "hints". I see this all the time in OSM, you can tag lane restrictions for a roadway, but the map path segments don't align exactly to where the lanes split and merge. So if the car is making decisions from map data, it sees a "rightmost lane=right-turn only" restriction, then tries to bail out of the right lane, only to discover the right-turn lane doesn't split off until hundreds of feet down the road. It's super brittle when you try drive on maps.

OP's original question was about navigation and not map data per se. The issue is navigation is giving a route over a portion of road with restricted access during some construction period. This situation isn't an update to the core mapping data but falls more under the real-time traffic conditions portion of navigation. The problem is, it sounds like traffic heading in some directions is allowed to proceed whereas traffic from other directions is not. I'm not sure if the car's navigation will ever realize this.

Recently a portion of the road near my home was closed for bridge replacement. Within a few days, navigation started defaulting to the detour route. And 8 months later when construction was done, navigation reverted to the original route. I don't know if Tesla is pulling data from some centralized traffic service like INRIX, or if the real-time traffic conditions just noticed that nobody was traveling on this section of road and routed around it.

OP's original question was about navigation and not map data per se. The issue is navigation is giving a route over a portion of road with restricted access during some construction period. This situation isn't an update to the core mapping data but falls more under the real-time traffic conditions portion of navigation. The problem is, it sounds like traffic heading in some directions is allowed to proceed whereas traffic from other directions is not. I'm not sure if the car's navigation will ever realize this.

Recently a portion of the road near my home was closed for bridge replacement. Within a few days, navigation started defaulting to the detour route. And 8 months later when construction was done, navigation reverted to the original route. I don't know if Tesla is pulling data from some centralized traffic service like INRIX, or if the real-time traffic conditions just noticed that nobody was traveling on this section of road and routed around it.
I know a few years ago they dropped INRIX for the traffic weights and use their own homegrown solution now, but not sure where they get road closure info from, if they do at all.

I know a few years ago they dropped INRIX for the traffic weights and use their own homegrown solution now, but not sure where they get road closure info from, if they do at all.
They do since I go through a street I use almost 2x a day that has a high rise under construction for over a year and the street is opened and closed. Beta sometimes routes around it but it is sort hit and miss as to getting it correct. Not sure where the data comes from (maybe multi source/aggregated) but I think this falls into the traffic data rerouting bucket of info.

EDIT: [conjecture] It is possible the traffic data may come from Google since it is dynamic like the satellite images. Google may offer traffic data as part of the images.

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't use Google Maps. They use Google satellite and map images. So you can change things like business names in Google Maps and that will change since it is embedded in the images but not mapping or navigation info. Looks like Tesla aggregates data for the Navigation Data file from Tom Tom, Open Street Maps and probably some others.

All map and navigation errors or located in here and unless or until this file is updated (about every 6 to 12 months) nothing can change.

View attachment 895425
I agree with you but the file update: actually they change dynamically the blocked roads and so on. Everything rely on their servers. So even if the map file did not change, sometimes, it proposes a new route, a wrong direction, and so on. There is a constant: the proposed route to my home is ALWAYS wrong since 2.5 years and I really can't understand how to report to Tesla...

Ps: Google's route is completely fine

speed limit error
My Feb 2022 MSLR gets speed limit information when the camera sees a speed limit sign.

Reporting construction doesn't make sense. In the case of overpass construction, adding graphics or detours for temporary modifications would require constant daily changes to the maps. Could these daily changes be trusted, how much would it cost to be so fluid? What about storms that wash out roads, closures for parades? Security risks when navigation map is updated showing closures for a presidential visit. 🙄 yup, getting ridiculous.
It is LONG term reconstruction - supposed to be closed another 8-9 months