Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Model 3 Inspired Compact Hatchback Planned for Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is planning a compact hatchback based on the Model 3 to be built and sold in Europe, according to a report from Autocar.

Details are thin, but it seems to line up with recent statements from Musk that Tesla needs a more affordable option.

“We will not succeed in our mission if we don’t make cars affordable.,” Musk said on Tesla’s most recent investors call. “The thing that bugs me the most about where we are right now is that our cars aren’t affordable enough. We need to fix that.” 

Musk added that “it would be reasonable to assume that we would make a compact vehicle of some kind.”

Autocar reported that the Model 3 hatchback will be built at Giga Berlin, which Tesla expects to be operational next year.

Smaller cars, such as a possible Model 3 hatchback, are more practical and preferred in markets like Europe and China. It certainly makes sense for Tesla to be aggressive in targeting those consumers.

Making Tesla’s vehicles more accessible to the masses is an exciting development, but there are still questions about the form of the this new compact and its powertrain.

What would you like to see in a Tesla compact?

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the larger issues i think with the model 3 is a height issue. the car is so low to the ground for taller people (like... 6ft+) its a bit a challenge to get in an out efficiently.
I'm always curious when people list this as a problem. I'm a pretty large dude, 6'4 and 210 pounds, yet I have no problems getting in and out of my Model 3, nor with headroom, legroom, or width. Heck, the Model 3 is one of the few cars I have been in where I don't put the seat at the furthest rear position. The room inside with the glass roof leaves me at least 3 inches of headroom, more than I get in most cars, and I could easily have enough leg room to the point where touching the pedals would be hard. Usually I have the opposite problem, even in most SUVs, where my knees are jammed into the dash or steering wheel.

I'm always curious when people list this as a problem. I'm a pretty large dude, 6'4 and 210 pounds, yet I have no problems getting in and out of my Model 3, nor with headroom, legroom, or width. Heck, the Model 3 is one of the few cars I have been in where I don't put the seat at the furthest rear position. The room inside with the glass roof leaves me at least 3 inches of headroom, more than I get in most cars, and I could easily have enough leg room to the point where touching the pedals would be hard. Usually I have the opposite problem, even in most SUVs, where my knees are jammed into the dash or steering wheel.
upload_2020-8-26_13-4-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-26_13-2-23.png
    upload_2020-8-26_13-2-23.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Funny
Reactions: AdamMacDon
pretty much what SOULPEDL said.

I used to do competition circuit racing and the model 3, while its far much more comfortable inside, the process of getting in and out reminds me of getting in and out of a race bucket, just because of the low stance of the vehicle and the wider sideskirt area.

Compared to a lot of other brands and SUV's, its hard to explain. but go try to get into a newer GMC cab pick up and you'll understand the extreme polarity.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
The Model Y already is a hatchback based on the Model 3. I don't see any significant cost savings that would result from making another variant of the Model 3 with little lower roofline, a little less ground clearance, and a little lower seating position.

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass
I would trade in my Model 3 for a smaller, Prius-sized hatchback. But the new car should use the upcoming higher-density battery cells so I could still get over 300 miles range.

And hatchbacks are NOT stuck in the 80's as another posted stated. Toyota has sold more than 10 million Prius HATCHBACKS since 2004.

why not? because the US market is focused on SUV's. Because, Murica.

they arent going to build a hatch back for you and maybe a dozen other people who are stuck in the 80's.

Then why are they considering building one? Have you seen Elon make a significant mistake yet? The one thing I hated giving up my Prius for a Model 3 was it was almost like having a pickup truck. Prius isn't that big but it holds a ton and Toyota sold a lot. That small opening between trunk and rear passenger compartment is very restrictive. YOU are the dozen or so people who don't occasionally need to carry big stuff.

A hatchback Model 3 was seriously wanted in the US as well. I'm guessing the hatch likely increased build costs and breaks up the glass roof - hence the small rear glass on the Y. There's always a tradeoff, but I would have loved a Model 3 hatchback... are you kidding? Just for sleeping better at night if need be. Please do, and export to US cuz we'll buy them too, I am certain. 240Z style, why not.
I totally agree. Where am. Supposed to put my dogs, on the white pleather?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I have a 96 honda civic 2 bolts and a model S . At 6'5" it is difficult to get in and out of the S and the civic as they are both low cars . But it is a small sacrifice to have a low center of gravity and its benefit to handling . I don't think Im stuck in the 80's .I have always disliked large cars and suv's . Gas guzzling and visibility issues . Now with what we know about climate change .Why would anyone buy an suv ?

Then why are they considering building one? Have you seen Elon make a significant mistake yet? The one thing I hated giving up my Prius for a Model 3 was it was almost like having a pickup truck. Prius isn't that big but it holds a ton and Toyota sold a lot. That small opening between trunk and rear passenger compartment is very restrictive. YOU are the dozen or so people who don't occasionally need to carry big stuff.
I have never understood people on this site hassling others for wanting a tweak, a feature or, in this case, an affordable hatchback. What skin is it on your back if you wouldn’t want such a thing to let others speak of their support?!? If you’re not interested, why do you imagine anyone cares?