Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Model 3 Inspired Compact Hatchback Planned for Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is planning a compact hatchback based on the Model 3 to be built and sold in Europe, according to a report from Autocar.

Details are thin, but it seems to line up with recent statements from Musk that Tesla needs a more affordable option.

“We will not succeed in our mission if we don’t make cars affordable.,” Musk said on Tesla’s most recent investors call. “The thing that bugs me the most about where we are right now is that our cars aren’t affordable enough. We need to fix that.” 

Musk added that “it would be reasonable to assume that we would make a compact vehicle of some kind.”

Autocar reported that the Model 3 hatchback will be built at Giga Berlin, which Tesla expects to be operational next year.

Smaller cars, such as a possible Model 3 hatchback, are more practical and preferred in markets like Europe and China. It certainly makes sense for Tesla to be aggressive in targeting those consumers.

Making Tesla’s vehicles more accessible to the masses is an exciting development, but there are still questions about the form of the this new compact and its powertrain.

What would you like to see in a Tesla compact?

Last edited by a moderator:
A hatchback Model 3 was seriously wanted in the US as well. I'm guessing the hatch likely increased build costs and breaks up the glass roof - hence the small rear glass on the Y. There's always a tradeoff, but I would have loved a Model 3 hatchback... are you kidding? Just for sleeping better at night if need be. Please do, and export to US cuz we'll buy them too, I am certain. 240Z style, why not.
If that were available, I would consider trading in my model 3 which is perfect minus no hatch back and not lift gate. We have a Y and I love hatchback style but the Y is too big for me. I prefer a compact. My husband drives the Y mainly.

One big deciding factor in my MS purchase was the hatchback. I could either purchase a new model 3 or, for a similar cost I could purchase a used MS. I originally ordered M3 but when I discovered it didn't have a hatchback I went for the 2016 MS JUST FOR THE HATCHBACK. Hatchback requirements for a useful hatchback are that I can fit a 4 foot wide piece of plywood (at least diagonally) AND it be able to take a 10 foot long piece of whatever in order for me to close the hatchback.

One big deciding factor in my MS purchase was the hatchback. I could either purchase a new model 3 or, for a similar cost I could purchase a used MS. I originally ordered M3 but when I discovered it didn't have a hatchback I went for the 2016 MS JUST FOR THE HATCHBACK. Hatchback requirements for a useful hatchback are that I can fit a 4 foot wide piece of plywood (at least diagonally) AND it be able to take a 10 foot long piece of whatever in order for me to close the hatchback.
Same here. Love the size of the Model 3 but can't live with the trunk (and the lack of any instrument in front of me and the lack of a mechanical way to open the rear doors in case of power failure)...

No idea how much it cost her to make it. Obviously she’s a “popular” YouTuber so she gets paid for the content. Plus she had friends helping her; plus they have their own channels.

CyberTruck will be cheaper than a M4 Ute conversion unless you do it yourself.

Why compete in the highly contested hatchback market when you can cater to true Next-Gen electro-mobility?
Which takes in consideration that more than half of the world's population lives in and around cities where there is less space,
particularly in Europe and Asia.

Vehicle length is not per se the issue... Vehicle width IS.
Most hatchbacks tend to be not that significantly sleeker than sedans.

And since most people sit in their car alone most of the time, and ride-hail taxis have an average occupancy of 1.2 passenger,
a three-seater will suffice 99% of the time, particularly when sleekness will contribute to making the 3-seater operate autonomously.
En6d2ipXUAIOW3k

Early-adopters, greenies, couples, singles, two-car households make for a target group much larger
than 1 out of every 900 prospective buyers, the ratio necessary to justify production.

EnnxdfYW8AIBvrx

Why compete in the highly contested hatchback market when you can cater to true Next-Gen electro-mobility?
Which takes in consideration that more than half of the world's population lives in and around cities where there is less space,
particularly in Europe and Asia.

Vehicle length is not per se the issue... Vehicle width IS.
Most hatchbacks tend to be not that significantly sleeker than sedans.

And since most people sit in their car alone most of the time, and ride-hail taxis have an average occupancy of 1.2 passenger,
a three-seater will suffice 99% of the time, particularly when sleekness will contribute to making the 3-seater operate autonomously.
En6d2ipXUAIOW3k

Early-adopters, greenies, couples, singles, two-car households make for a target group much larger
than 1 out of every 900 prospective buyers, the ratio necessary to justify production.

EnnxdfYW8AIBvrx
My counter would be why not just use the technology already available? E-scooter, motorcycle, bicycle. Heck, in Holland you don't even have gears on most of the bikes, so this seems like overkill for city dwellers, no? I guess it keeps you dry in the rain, and warm in the winter, but with some big trade offs.

It might be different in Europe, but I'm reminded of the Smart car's demise in North America. I always wanted the EV version, but with the price of insurance, parking, etc (all the same as a full size car), it was economically senseless. Hence the Model 3, and my bicycle for getting around town when small size and easy parking is priority.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and voyager
My counter would be why not just use the technology already available?

Yup, you are right that is easier for Tesla just to extrapolate and to chop off the rear of the Model 3 (sort of)
to get itself a hatched back, to round off its present model range with a smaller and cheaper EV.

Perhaps my suggestion should be continued in a separate, new thread...

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Yup, you are right that is easier for Tesla just to extrapolate and to chop off the rear of the Model 3 (sort of)
to get itself a hatched back, to round off its present model range with a smaller and cheaper EV.

Perhaps my suggestion should be continued in a separate, new thread...
Yeah the core concept makes a lot of sense, but it is one of those chicken and the egg problems where infrastructure and regulations need to change to make the idea viable. I don't know how well Smart is doing in the EU, but in the NA market, they had to exit completely in 2019, which was a shame.