TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Report Says Tesla Had to Rework Most Cars in Push to 5,000

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TMC Staff, Aug 22, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

About 4,300 of the 5,000 Model 3 units that came off the production line in June needed to be reworked, according to internal Tesla documents obtained by Business Insider. Tesla has fought production delays since the Model 3 was introduced, continuously missing production goals against high demand. The company originally intended to produce 5,000 units...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I would love to hear Tesla’s response. I am quite happy with my Model 3 and the 37 min repair time is not much. Is this the major reason they built 20,000 in July but only sold 14,000?

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Tesla did formally responded to Business Insider:

"A Tesla representative said customer-satisfaction scores for the Model 3, its newest vehicle, have averaged around 90% since January. The representative also said the company's internal data shows that the Model 3 has improved since the beginning of this year."

As a public company, there's a pressure to make profit so the emphasis might be quantity and not quality controls which might compromise production number.

Thus, going private might be a good move!

4. SO16

SO16 Member

It was possibly due to paperwork taking longer than it should.

5. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

“Dedicated inspection teams track every car throughout every shop in the assembly line, and every vehicle is then subjected to an additional quality-control process towards the end of the line," couldn't be any more vague!

• Funny x 1
  6. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Make that 4301. I need some stuff fixed on mine too. Loose headlight. Loose side mirror. Warped windshield glass. And for some reason the sound system doesn't sound as good as the early build model 3 i rented a few months back.

• Informative x 1
  7. cfttester

cfttester Member

Looks like a good start of a fixing hell. :)

8. frank69

frank69 Member

I wonder if there is a VIN range for the ones produced in June

9. Stevaughnator

Stevaughnator Member

Got mine at the end of June and have not had 1 issue with it yet.

• Like x 2
  10. zzf00l

zzf00l New Member

Most if not all manufacturers rework their cars.. some rework better than others some don't appear to bother. So.. no news here then, move along to the next slight against Tesla.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. Xenius

Xenius Member

Enjoy the new car!

12. zzf00l

zzf00l New Member

Just like any other vehicle manufacturer.. I've worked in Automotive all my working life and this is nothing new.

• Like x 2
  13. SO16

SO16 Member

I used to work in manufacturing as well. We certainly had a “rework” area that was always busy. Once again, a nothing burger. Can Tesla improve? Of course and they will. But to expect perfection after only one year of production is absolutely absurd.

14. theblindtree

theblindtree Member

Yeah, I'm really surprised articles like this get reported, as if it's some new phenomenon just because it's Tesla. I guess that's part of the problem when you're on the cutting edge of an industry - everyone is putting magnifying glasses to everything you do.

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black New Member

Could also be due to limitations in their delivery system. Delivery location in Atlanta is packed with cars waiting to be delivered, but you can't get anyone to answer the phone and return calls take days. Production may have grown beyond delivery logistics.

• Like x 1
  16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

You got it end of June. That means your car was built in May or early June. Outside the range of the mentioned time frame.

17. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

Hey car manufacturer experience people,

That every manufacturer has a rework line is maybe kind of relevant, but mostly a red herring. It's not that Tesla had to rework cars; it's that Tesla had to rework 86% of the cars. This isn't hard to grasp.

And Tesla's repeated fall back onto claims about customer satisfaction in the face of criticisms of quality is a move to talk of owners instead of products. That owners will tolerate massive garbage for the sake of long range EV vehicles and for the smugness of being Tesla owners doesn't entail that the cars are well-built. I've not filled out any owner satisfaction surveys, but not because I'm satisfied, but because I'm smart enough not to care about owner survey results.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. SO16

SO16 Member

What does seem difficult to grasp is that people often compare a car line that’s been producing for a year to Toyota that’s been producing the same cars for years with minor alterations.

As stated above, Tesla has a lot of room for improvement. And they shouldn’t get a free pass. But If you don’t fill out the customer satisfaction survey showing your dissatisfaction, don’t turn around and complain that companies like Tesla point to positive satisfaction surveys. You say you don’t care....well perhaps you should fill them out because it looks like you do care.

19. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

Apparently it is hard for you to grasp. Your logic is flawed...you are cherry picking out a date range....it's not 86% reworked cars, it is a reported 4300/total M3 built (insert number here which I don't have). Granted, I am sure there have been other reworks during the production ramp up...this is normal for a new vehicle going down the assembly line and will improve over time. You can spin that percentage any way you want based on your methodology.

20. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

1. I'm not Captain Defend TSLA. I didn't immediately blather on about "other car manufacturers are not perfect; therefore, TESLAALLALA RULEZ!!!111" Those were introduced by the great supporters of obfuscation and diversion who wanted to say "Hey, no big deal!" I didn't say Tesla was worse. I was suggesting why it was notable. You are offering what is called "an explanation" for why Tesla's rework % is high. That the line is new. I think that's likely an oversimplification, but I also find all of this boring. I mostly like to observe how psychologically and rationally broken posters are. People here are convinced and reason backwards. It's the most amazing petri dish of epistemic investmentalism.

2. I believe in principle that such surveys have no value. I care that people cite them. Caring that they are cited is completely unrelated to how I would fill the survey out. If surveys were overwhelmingly negative, I'd also think citing them was stupid.

I'd proofread this but I'm going to tea.