Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report Supercharger Damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
What's the best way to report damage to Superchargers?

PXL_20201226_193904935.jpg

There doesn't appear to be a good place in the app to do that.

Honestly there's not a great way to communicate this to Tesla as they don't advertise a customer service email or whatnot. You could call Tesla (1-888-518-3752) and try the phone tree (which changes constantly) or just pick a spot via the app and let the receiver try to push it to the appropriate people internally.

Contact | Tesla

The SuperChargers are networked and real-time so "they" know about outages but reporting damage like this is not something they know about until it's push up but it's hard to do that. Is there a local Tesla Service Center? Sometimes reaching out to them can do something.

It's a pain in the butt that we users have to jump through hoops to get Tesla to take care of things like this but currently it's where we're at.

**** post where and when this picture was taken in case someone here on the forum has a contact they can reach out to.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Honestly there's not a great way to communicate this to Tesla as they don't advertise a customer service email or whatnot. You could call Tesla (1-888-518-3752) and try the phone tree (which changes constantly) or just pick a spot via the app and let the receiver try to push it to the appropriate people internally.

Contact | Tesla

The SuperChargers are networked and real-time so "they" know about outages but reporting damage like this is not something they know about until it's push up but it's hard to do that. Is there a local Tesla Service Center? Sometimes reaching out to them can do something.

It's a pain in the butt that we users have to jump through hoops to get Tesla to take care of things like this but currently it's where we're at.

**** post where and when this picture was taken in case someone here on the forum has a contact they can reach out to.
Another HUGE oversite on Tesla's part. They want us to use the app for ALL things customer service and then blatantly omit one of the simplest features they could integrate into the app to make our lives easier: report Supercharger issues. You could do it from the app or the car and it would be done instantly. The car already knows where it is and can add all sorts of metadata to assist Tesla in addressing the issue. Just have a place for notes so you can specific which stall(s) and what the issue(s) is and done. But that would be WAY too easy for the manufacturer who's trying to revolutionize how the car ownership process works.... and not for the better by all accounts to this point.

You could do it from the app or the car and it would be done instantly. The car already knows where it is and can add all sorts of metadata to assist Tesla in addressing the issue. Just have a place for notes so you can specific which stall(s) and what the issue(s) is and done.

This sounds potentially useful, although I bet if they did what you suggested, the actual useful reports (like what the OP would provide) would get get lost in the noise from “this Supercharger isn’t charging my car fast enough” reports from owners who don’t understand Supercharging.

Bruce.

Another HUGE oversite on Tesla's part. They want us to use the app for ALL things customer service and then blatantly omit one of the simplest features they could integrate into the app to make our lives easier: report Supercharger issues. You could do it from the app or the car and it would be done instantly. The car already knows where it is and can add all sorts of metadata to assist Tesla in addressing the issue. Just have a place for notes so you can specific which stall(s) and what the issue(s) is and done. But that would be WAY too easy for the manufacturer who's trying to revolutionize how the car ownership process works.... and not for the better by all accounts to this point.

I was going to post something similar but I was on my phone. The issue of what you're describing is explained by @bmah below. Tesla would have to create a whole department just to filter all these ACTUAL issues. Think of how many stupid "installing new software 2020.48.x.x" threads we've had in the last couple weeks. Or the "OMFG my car isn't charging at 250kW!!#%@&" posts....... if it's bad enough here on the forum where the user has to go out and find the forum, create an account then randomly start posting then think about how many crap submissions Tesla will get from random owners who already have no idea how their car works.

Now... I'm in the same field as you that Tesla could do something. Possible a list of drop downs and then if that doesn't fit the issue then a text box to submit the issue but oooof that's still gonna be a lot of stuff headed to them. And SURE, Tesla is a MULTI HUNDRED-billion dollar company and they've created this issue so they should fix it, I wholeheartedly agree but this is Elon's company and we know how he does or doesn't work some issues.

I travelled from Las Vegas, NV -> Santa Fe, NM and back this week and boy o' boy are there some crappy SuperCharger locations on that route that are old, away from anything, no cell service and oh yeah super slow V2's over a holiday. Tesla should be building their Cafe style charger locations on these desolate highway locations (looking at you Kingman, Gallup, ABQ...) but until the issue is on the news like in 2019 during the holidays and all us customers look like chumps waiting in line Elon won't fix it.

This sounds potentially useful, although I bet if they did what you suggested, the actual useful reports (like what the OP would provide) would get get lost in the noise from “this Supercharger isn’t charging my car fast enough” reports from owners who don’t understand Supercharging.

Bruce.

Bruce.

I was going to post something similar but I was on my phone. The issue of what you're describing is explained by @bmah below. Tesla would have to create a whole department just to filter all these ACTUAL issues. Think of how many stupid "installing new software 2020.48.x.x" threads we've had in the last couple weeks. Or the "OMFG my car isn't charging at 250kW!!#%@&" posts....... if it's bad enough here on the forum where the user has to go out and find the forum, create an account then randomly start posting then think about how many crap submissions Tesla will get from random owners who already have no idea how their car works.

Now... I'm in the same field as you that Tesla could do something. Possible a list of drop downs and then if that doesn't fit the issue then a text box to submit the issue but oooof that's still gonna be a lot of stuff headed to them. And SURE, Tesla is a MULTI HUNDRED-billion dollar company and they've created this issue so they should fix it, I wholeheartedly agree but this is Elon's company and we know how he does or doesn't work some issues.

I travelled from Las Vegas, NV -> Santa Fe, NM and back this week and boy o' boy are there some crappy SuperCharger locations on that route that are old, away from anything, no cell service and oh yeah super slow V2's over a holiday. Tesla should be building their Cafe style charger locations on these desolate highway locations (looking at you Kingman, Gallup, ABQ...) but until the issue is on the news like in 2019 during the holidays and all us customers look like chumps waiting in line Elon won't fix it.

Combing through the BS to get to the genuine & addressable issues is a part of customer service. Tesla seemingly wants noting to do with that anyway so suggesting a drop-down like their existing "Customer Service" support menu that would help them to pre-sort these types of things is kind of pointless. No matter how they weigh these reports it's only a matter of time before they don't have the resources to address the actual broken stations anyway. Any other manufacturer would see it as an easy win to appease customers and keep their network online and running but Tesla sees it as an expense when all they care about is profit. No solution is going to fit that budget.

• Disagree
Reactions: bluedog
Combing through the BS to get to the genuine & addressable issues is a part of customer service. Tesla seemingly wants noting to do with that anyway so suggesting a drop-down like their existing "Customer Service" support menu that would help them to pre-sort these types of things is kind of pointless. No matter how they weigh these reports it's only a matter of time before they don't have the resources to address the actual broken stations anyway. Any other manufacturer would see it as an easy win to appease customers and keep their network online and running but Tesla sees it as an expense when all they care about is profit. No solution is going to fit that budget.

The ability to triage customer support requests is independent of the ability to fix broken Supercharger stations.

And in an attempt to get back on-track and actually answer the OP's question, I've had moderate success over the past 5+ years by just calling the tech support number. Admittedly I haven't had to do this for awhile.

Bruce.

I would tend to agree but like you said this is Tesla. Hey, I've done my fair share of tweeting to Elon since that's pretty much the only way to communicate with the company. I have no interest in becoming a YouTuber in order to get his attention.

They could create a portal to submit Supercharger problems and have a team of volunteers to filter it and identify top problems or request more info from the submitter. I'd volunteer for that.

There would have to be a list of required details. Location, time, photos, submitter's contact info, etc.

They could even have a way for a volunteer to answer a live call and make sure the submitter collects all the info before they leave.