Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Report: Tesla Employees Pressured to Take Shortcuts to Meet Production Goals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A new report from CNBC talks to Tesla workers who say they were forced to take shortcuts to meet the company’s aggressive production goals.

Those shortcuts included using electrical tape to patch cracks on plastic brackets containing electrical components, and sometimes passing cars through inspection that were missing bolts, nuts, or lugs.

The employees interviewed also said Tesla encouraged them to work in harsh conditions. The bulk of complaints from employees developed from Tesla’s GA4 production tent, a makeshift assembly line constructed to hit an ambitious production target of 6,000 Model 3’s a week. Tesla continues to use the tent a year later.

A Tesla spokesperson told CNBC that the company hasn’t found evidence of electrical tape being used to make quick fixes in GA4, and would never officially condone or encourage it.

Employees interviewed by CNBC also provided photos from the assembly line to back up their accusations.

Tesla called the anecdotes “misleading” and said that they were unrepresentative of what it’s like to work at Tesla.

CNBC spoke to two former employees on the record for its report, and corroborated their account with six other current and former employees who asked to remain anonymous.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot trust TV (any station!) for anything. Seriously! TV is not news, it's entertainment. And that's not even its real purpose. It's purpose is to sell viewers (you!) to advertisers. Nothing you see on TV is reliable.
This reminds of when I taught intro ethics, where students often confused the idea that 1) you can give an ego-motive for every action with the idea that 2) every action was only because of ego.

You cannot trust TV (any station!) for anything. Seriously! TV is not news, it's entertainment. And that's not even its real purpose. It's purpose is to sell viewers (you!) to advertisers. Nothing you see on TV is reliable.
There are shows that I trust, like GPS, or News Hour. Many here have slammed CNBC, MSNBC, of course FOX.
Are there others? When I say Trust, they don't LIE about facts and they represent both sides of the arguments. CNN was pretty ok until it all got so boring with debates about nothing, calling it Breaking News every minute. But good topic shows from CNN.

If you dont trust any news, how are you informed.... give me a break.

Ofcourse, dismissing this as "fake" news is easy but where there is smoke, there most of the time is also fire. I don't even want to go their if cnbc is a credible source or not.

I'm on the european forums here and all I can say, you see things passing by which are not ok.
I'm sure it had everything todo with the immense pressure on Tesla to deliver the cars so their stock wouldn't tank which "everyone" was hoping for. Wall street and legacy car makers would love the fact that Tesla would go belly up.

It happens in other companies also so I don't see why it couldn't happen at Tesla, especially Tesla. I think that Musk has put tremendous pressure on his work force to achieve the numbers and if not met, I think a lot of the supervisors, managers would have been out of a job.

But facts are facts:

I saw numerous posts of panel gaps, misallignment of all sorts, sensors falling out cars, rattles, paint damage, panels forgotten, panels not painted, stains in the interior, clippings missing, bolts missing, airco no topped up, ..... (most, if not all will be fixed by Tesla)

but please, how much I like the cars, the company, etc, you cannot deny there is/was an issue with quality control during last deliveries.

I'll get my car in Oktober and I expect to see improvement which i'm sure I will because now that all early adopters and enthousiast have their M3, Tesla need to convince and start selling to the masses and believe me, they will not be that forgiving.

That being said, I drove the car, ordered it just after and can't wait!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: notrhj and SOULPEDL
Considering the many posts we see on TMC about shoddy quality of BRAND NEW vehicles upon delivery, there must be some truth to this story.

Your reaction is exactly the motivation for these reporters from BI, WSJ, Bloomberg, LAT an NYT to exaggerate, outright lie and keep churning out negative stories day in and day out.

They tried different ways to kill this company, often shamelessly partnering with TSLAQ folks, and giving publicity to their rumors and lies. But the best way to kill a company is to spread a highly negative impression of its products. When they keep making up and churning bad stories day and day out, naive people like you tend to believe there is some truth to it.

And that is all these guys want. So now everyone goes to delivery with a vernier caliper. They want the public to to not understand and ignore all the amazing strengths of the cars, but focus on just some cosmetic stuff which happens to be the weak point of Tesla.

NONE of the cars out there can compete with battery tech, range, charging speed, driving aids. So all they have is better panel fits. So if the media keep exaggerating and only keep taking about that, public tends to slowly think the doors and panels will fall of the road and kill their loved ones.

And once these Tesla killer-wannabes of which Media is one, choke the demand and put a halt to the growth, Tesla will die a slow death. And that is the whole idea behind these daily negative stories

Last edited:
Reactions: notrhj
You can see media negative stories come in different angles:

- Musk is incompetent and so he shouldn't be leading Tesla
- Musk is delusional, fraud, lier and so he shouldn't be leading Tesla
- Tesla treats employees like slaves and so it is bad company for anyone to work, or buy products from.
- Tesla might go bankrupt anytime now, and you may be left with no company to service your car
- Tesla killers are coming, just around the corner. So you are better of waiting to buy one from the competitors.
- When Tesla killers arrive, it will bankrupt the company
- There is no demand, which means bankruptcy is just around the corner.

Now none of the above made any dent with the public. So you would see that the media would go back to the tried and tested methods - create fear and dislike for their products through exaggerations and lies:

- Teslas catch fire easily.
- Autopilot will kill you
- Panels don't fit, and that points to a deeper problem in quality and reliability.
- They do very bad testing, which means they break often and are unreliable, and even unsafe.

I can list atleast 10 biased articles or tweets from journalists on each of the items above, in the last 2 years.

Your reaction is exactly the motivation for these reporters from BI, WSJ, Bloomberg, LAT an NYT to exaggerate, outright lie and keep churning out negative stories day in and day out.

They tried different ways to kill this company, often shamelessly partnering with TSLAQ folks, and giving publicity to their rumors and lies. But the best way to kill a company is to spread a highly negative impression of its products. When they keep making up and churning bad stories day and day out, naive people like you tend to believe there is some truth to it.

And that is all these guys want. So now everyone goes to delivery with a vernier caliper. They want the public to to not understand and ignore all the amazing strengths of the cars, but focus on just some cosmetic stuff which happens to be the weak point of Tesla.

NONE of the cars out there can compete with battery tech, range, charging speed, driving aids. So all they have is better panel fits. So if the media keep exaggerating and only keep taking about that, public tends to slowly think the doors and panels will fall of the road and kill their loved ones.

And once these Tesla killer-wannabes of which Media is one, choke the demand and put a halt to the growth, Tesla will die a slow death. And that is the whole idea behind these daily negative stories

I think you're missing the point here, nobody on this forum or in this post is disputing the superiority of Tesla tech, its company values etc but only the recent lack in quality (control) which is undisputably documented on this forum and should require some more attention from Tesla.

Don't you find it ought that several delivery checklists are circulating on this forum? I for one did.

Actually, as a Tesla fan, I hope from the bottom of my heart that the story is true! Because then I know it was all about making the numbers to calm down wall street and that Tesla can now go back to producing spotless cars.

By the way: Try not to call people names or naive just because they have a different opinion. You know, opinions are like sh!t, everyone has them and most of them stink, but that goes for yours and mine too so no need to be demening.

A last tip: if the fud starts again, buy more shares

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
If you dont trust any news, how are you informed.... give me a break.

I don't trust TV. When I was young there were news programs on TV. Now there is only entertainment. If you want to be informed, there are other kinds of media than TV. Are you trying to imply with your "Give me a break" comment that you think TV news is the only news? Or did you misunderstand me as saying I didn't trust any news when I said that no TV programs are reliable?

As for Tesla, they have not yet reached the quality-control level of Honda or Toyota, but their cars are way ahead of both on technology, and generally better quality than the American car companies.

Their customer service has not kept pace with what it was before the Model 3. They need to build out their customer service department to keep up with the growing number of cars they've put on the roads. Tesla may have existed as a company for 17 (?) years, but it's only been in the past year that it has become a mass-market car company. They definitely have some improving to do, and given their record I am optimistic.

Reactions: JanG007
but only the recent lack in quality (control) which is undisputably documented on this forum and should require some more attention from Tesla.

Utter utter nonsense.

Undisputably documented? Really, just because there are a few complaints about some issues, that doesn't mean the quality has come down. That is what forums are for. For people to come here explain their issues to get solutions. You are newbie here and I can understand how you can be swayed by reading these issues in this forum. But then check out the BMW forum, or Volvo - you will see the same thing. There will be people coming out and complaining about the problems they had.

Checklists have always existed right from the first Model S came out in 2012. In fact if you look at the number of complaints from 2013-15 for Model S&X, to what we have now relative to the numbers of cars sold, it is very very minuscule. The number of complaints have come down dramatically. In fact I hardly see any issues for Model 3, except some paint issues and panel gaps. We have had many issues of motor and battery failures and charging issues in early S&X, now we don't hear any of those. Close to zero.

The objective of the media is to exaggerate and lie, to give an impression that the company simply doesn't care for quality and the whole thing is a shoddy mess, so that people like you after reading the 20th article from WSJ, NYT, LAT and BI, might start to be think - maybe they are crap. You may see dozen cars and talked to some very satisfied owners, but still these articles have sown a seed in you, with a negative perception - that is the whole objective of the media is to counter the extremely positive reviews from actual owners in social media and in your personal interactions.

- Take this CNBC article - it talks to two fired workers who have an axe to grind, who are in bed and paid by short sellers that are eager to kill the company. The author Lora, connected these two to Tesla short sellers to get funds. Huh? really? I can come up with a highly negative article about any company by talking to a few disgruntled workers.

- Remember the huge negative stories about Tesla putting highly unsafe batteries in Model 3 that came in 2017? "Tesla cutting corners", "Tesla rushing unsafe cars". What happened to all of that? Every outfit ran story after story around that. There are more than 200K Model 3 on the road, was there even a single Model 3 that had a battery safety issue so far?. What happened to that whistle blower? He ran away to a foreign country and is now absconding.

- There was another story that came out in 2017 about how Tesla is skipping "crucial" brake tests to save money. Turned out to be just another exaggeration and twisted facts to suit their 'Tesla is crap' narrative.

Media wants to make sure that by churning out the constant stream of negative stories, it will make a dent in people's perception, that will make people like YOU think that there is something really bad, even if all other real world experiences from actual owners tells you otherwise.

Last edited:
Cleantechnica and unbiased Tesla reporting don't go together.
This is where your duplicity is in full display.

You think that author - who has done nothing but hit pieces on Tesla in every report in the past - is unbiased, and somehow this article does nothing more than shine a limelight on the connection between the fired employees, short sellers and the reporter, is biased.

Reactions: S'toon
Undisputably documented? Really, just because there are a few complaints about some issues, that doesn't mean the quality has come down. That is what forums are for. For people to come here explain their issues to get solutions. You are newbie here and I can understand how you can be swayed by reading these issues in this forum.

What does "You're a newbie here" have to do with anything? I had my fair share of new German cars (2x audi, 3 BMW and 1 merc) and always was/am very picky on build quality and have high expectations. It's newbies like me you need to convince, not the die-hard, first hour fan.(no disrespect)

People buying rivets, which Tesla forgot to put on, on Amazon to put on their cars, indeed, as a future customer, not sure how I should interpret that....that's indeed quite new to me .... and that's only what I read here so what about people that are not on the forum?

so please, understand that I don't take your word for it that it's just the "media"

Checklists have always existed right from the first Model S came out in 2012.
Discussion over, never, EVER, I had a checklist to go through on my previous cars. I find it very strange you find that normal but hey...
For all clarity, it where checklist circulating on this forum for people to get their new car to make sure to refuse it or get it noted to be fixed by Tesla. I'm not sure but in my eyes that means that people are expecting shortcommings due to ...... dodgy quality control?

The objective of the media is to exaggerate and lie
Yes, bad bad media, we got a brain so we're supporsed to use it. It is solely the problem of the reader. I had this feeling regarding the european Q2 delivery rush after reading and seeing lot of posts and photos on this forum, BEFORE the CNBC article got out.
As a newbie Tesla customer that makes me quite nervous for delivery day. However it's after the rush so AGAIN I think it will be ok.

Take this CNBC article - it talks to two fired workers who have an axe to grind,
for what, the whopping sum of $207 that was mentionned by Cleantechnica ? + they just acknowledge what I've been reading here.

Bottom line :
Is there negative sentiment in the media against Tesla? Absolutely.
Did they mess up quality control on the cars for Q2 heading to Europe ? for me 100% sure

look, let's agree to dissagree and i'll let you know how my delivery went![/QUOTE]

for what, the whopping sum of $207 that was mentionned by Cleantechnica ? + they just acknowledge what I've been reading here.

It is not the amount that was disclosed, but it is the teaming up of this fired worker, Tesla shorts and journalist - which is very common in the Tesla world. How does anyone even have any faith and make conclusions from that article is beyond me.

Look every manufacturer has issues in every model, just varying degrees. If the media only focuses and highlights the issues, it will seem highly magnified and then you get one or two corroborative evidence from a forum, you connect these two and come to the conclusion that everything is crap.

Today Volvo is recalling 500k cars for fire hazard. How much of spotlight do you think media is going to give on that? Who is willing to risk ad revenue from Volvo?

I also noticed that you conveniently ignored the other two media storms that came out in 2017, which now we all know was pure bullshit. This article too would be another footnote in an year of exaggerations and lies, but the damage is done.

Add another FUD story that was in the news throughout 2015 and 16 - poor suspension components that will make your wheels fall of. Utter bollocks. Model S&X had no more issues compared to any other vehicle of that size and weight. But every accident that had the wheels torn off, was heavily scrutinized. It took 3 years for that story to die off.

But every one of those made up stories, has impact on people like you.

Last edited:
Reactions: S'toon
Today Volvo is recalling 500k cars for fire hazard

at least they left the factory as a whole (that one is one you :p)

But every one of those made up stories, has impact on people like you.

"People like you", here you go again ....What impact exactly?, an enthusiastic but discerning Tesla customer which traded his BMW for a Model 3?

I suggest to go over my points again before answering with FUD articles again... oh wait don't.

Again, this is going nowhere and this discussion doesn't contribute to anything usefull anymore for our fellow forum members so if you feel the urge to reply still, be my guest, I wont.

Have a wonderfull evening.