TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Report: Tesla Has Refunded 23% of Model 3 Deposits

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TMC Staff, Jun 4, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

Nearly a quarter of all Model 3 deposits in the U.S. have been refunded, according to a report from a company that analyses anonymized credit and debit card purchases. About 450,000 people gave a $1,000 deposit to reserve a place in line for Tesla’s electric car for the masses. However, Second Measure says 23 percent...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. TimK

TimK Member

What's not showing is how many people updated to the Model S/X. I got my reservation refunded as I bought a Model S - arrives on the 12th June :D

• Like x 10
    • Love x 1
  3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

4. dauger

dauger Member

Reading a glass as 23% empty? Why not read it as 77% full + upselling to Model S & X?

The other thing that's missing are the numbers in absolute accumulated terms. If the total of deposits kept + 3's delivered is constantly increasing, why worry?

• Like x 4
  5. Peaviner

Peaviner Member

Same. I couldn't wait, so I took back my reservation for the Model 3 and picked up a Model S in September of 2016. Been loving it ever since.

• Like x 6
  6. Rowan256

Rowan256 Member

This number doesn't say much, it probably became more popular in America and Canada and maybe a bit less in Europe. This since Tesla is planning to mass produce it in Canada and America this quarter because of some tax rule and in Europe it will only start in 2019 if I understood it correct.
    So, 23% might be refunded, but at the same time a milion new ones could be added, the amount of new reservations is still unknown.

7. Darscot

Darscot Member

Elon was right, when he said no matter what the number is it would be seen as negative, which is exactly why they don't release the data.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  8. TimK

TimK Member

When the UK got dropped back to September 2019 (as told by my Service Centre) earliest, the waiting game lost its charm.

9. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

I got my deposit refunded/transferred to my S as well.

• Like x 2
  10. Brando

Brando Active Member

Check out 10Q everyone should read the textual parts - use search, such as Ctrl-F to find key words such as deposits
    Tesla - Quarterly Report
    Customrer deposits are nearly $1 billion dollars - not all Model 3..

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. Soff

Soff New Member

That looks exactly like my car in the photo on delivery day! Famous now :)

Attached Files:

12. XjteX

XjteX Member

I put a deposit down on a 3. Then I went to the showroom and sat in an X. I'm a pretty tall guy. The extra money for a roomier car, and not having to wait in line for 2 years.... I decided to make it work.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah I had a 3 reservation, but then decided to go for an updated S instead.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  14. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

This is just FUD. When Tesla starts building the standard battery Model 3 at the end of this year or early next year, the flood gates will open. Reservations won't matter anymore.

• Like x 2
  15. DR61

DR61 Member

I had never driven a Tesla, so I went to a store and did a test drive on an S P100D. I was very tempted to get an S and switch my $1000 reservation fee. Ultimately decided it was too large for my taste.

• Helpful x 2
  16. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

Unclear why refunds are growing as of late, when the exponential capacity growth is obvious and Tesla is about to start manufacturing at a full throttle, which means getting to everybody's reservation asap, no more delays.

17. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Not surprising, but also not a particularly meaningful number in my opinion. Some of those are up-sells, but there's probably a significant chunk that thought they were going to be able to buy a $27,500 Tesla and it's pretty obvious at this point that few if any SRs will be sold before the credit starts to phase out. I'd also bet a decent chunk were people hoping to flip the car at a profit and the window for that is closing. It'll probably only be another year before you start to see used Model 3s hitting the market for reasonable prices as people opt for newer features.

What really matters for Tesla is that they reach the production volume they need to be profitable and then have enough demand to sustain that profitability. I don't think reservations/cancellations are really good indicators of long term demand, but they have more than enough to either hit or miss their profitability goals.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

23% is a very good number in my opinion.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate Second Measure is due to anonymized data (and their respective customer behaviors). I've used it for market data and the numbers ran contrary to other sources.

• Like x 1
  19. twonius

twonius Member

maybe but I don't think we've seen a bump in Model S/X sales to support that idea. In fact Model S sales are down about 10% vs last year.

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

• Disagree x 1
  20. Kanting

Kanting Member

Some downgraded too. :(