Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report: Tesla, Hertz Negotiating Timeline of Massive Model 3 Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s whale of a deal with Hertz for 100,000 electric vehicles is still being negotiated, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.

When Hertz announced the order, Tesla stock spiked. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk took Twitter to say that the two companies had no contract in place and that fulfilling such a large order would be a challenge.

Hertz responded by saying it has already received and is renting Tesla vehicles.

Hertz is prominently promoting the all-electric Tesla Model 3 on the homepage of its website.

“Ditch the gas pump when you go electric,” the site says. “Experience instant torque on the open road or cruise the downtown strip in style with a sleek, zero-emissions sedan. This spacious 5-seater is perfect for when you need to recharge.”

The Wall Street Journal reported that the two companies are currently trying to come to an agreement on how soon Hertz can overhaul its fleet with electric vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a compliment actually …the Camry comparison. Dependable, reliable brand what’s…not to like? Good on Hertz though…I just don’t want to see any police departments buying any of the S3XY as fleets. Then I’d have to say goodbye…yeah I’m that shallow.
Camrys and Accords are boring, that's what's not to like. A Model 3 is not.

Anyone else feel like having 100,000 Hertz Model 3s rentals just cheapens the car? They are starting to lose that special feeling as these go mainstream now. You already see them all over the place. Kind of like seeing an iPhone now. Just pick a color...
I think this is what Elon originally said he wanted to do (remember that roll-out of the Model 3 back in 2016?)- to make the Model 3 (Y?) more "common" and affordable. It was never touted as a true luxury car, even though the vehicle was put in the same class. So, if things go "right," and this car becomes more affordable and more common, someday, the Model 3 may become the new "Prius." Sounds weird doesn't it. We'll see...

It’s a compliment actually …the Camry comparison. Dependable, reliable brand what’s…not to like? Good on Hertz though…I just don’t want to see any police departments buying any of the S3XY as fleets. Then I’d have to say goodbye…yeah I’m that shallow.
Huh? Why not as a police vehicle? Numerous departments have already bought M3s and MYs. A couple have even sprung for MSs. For my tax payer dollars, I think the 3 and Y make ideal police cars

Anyone else feel like having 100,000 Hertz Model 3s rentals just cheapens the car? They are starting to lose that special feeling as these go mainstream now. You already see them all over the place. Kind of like seeing an iPhone now. Just pick a color...
Its just like the iphone in 2007. If someone had one it was special and ooo moment. Now in 2021, everyone has one and no one even cares if you have the latest model haha.

Reactions: raptor5244
I think this is what Elon originally said he wanted to do (remember that roll-out of the Model 3 back in 2016?)- to make the Model 3 (Y?) more "common" and affordable. It was never touted as a true luxury car, even though the vehicle was put in the same class. So, if things go "right," and this car becomes more affordable and more common, someday, the Model 3 may become the new "Prius." Sounds weird doesn't it. We'll see...
Don't even compare the model 3 to a Prius haha, I had a ford fusion energi, and there is no comparison in any way to any other vehicle in my opinion. Everything about a Tesla is just amazing. Although the suspension could be a little more forgiving. I do find it a lot more bumpy then other cars.

Its just like the iphone in 2007. If someone had one it was special and ooo moment. Now in 2021, everyone has one and no one even cares if you have the latest model haha.
This is true. In fact, buying a Tesla Model 3 feels somewhat similar to buying an iPhone, pick a model, 5 colors to choose from. I am looking forward to more EVs options since seeing so many Model 3s on the road is quite boring.

How could you not? But I think that was the whole point of the M3. To make them ubiquitous…the Camry of Tesla’s and EVs really.
Yes, the M3's purpose was to make an EV affordable for the masses. While the "$35,000 Tesla" doesn't really exist, the M3 is a proof of concept that there is a market for a more affordable EV with good range. If someone wants to buy an expensive EV that's unique, get a Lucid or Audi Etron.

Yes, the M3's purpose was to make an EV affordable for the masses. While the "$35,000 Tesla" doesn't really exist, the M3 is a proof of concept that there is a market for a more affordable EV with good range. If someone wants to buy an expensive EV that's unique, get a Lucid or Audi Etron.
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 9.01.28 PM.png

Sure it does. Well, yes, it was 36,990 total, but that was rock bottom, less than the median cost of a new car in the US. That's from my purchase agreement.

View attachment 742562

Sure it does. Well, yes, it was 36,990 total, but that was rock bottom, less than the median cost of a new car in the US. That's from my purchase agreement.
OK, "doesn't really exist" was maybe a bit off. It does exist, but you have to order off menu and know the hoops to jump through.

Not unlike going to any car dealer lot and finding a base model with no options or add-ons in their inventory (or available in the region). Only the "EX", "LX", "XLT", "Titanium", "Touring" etc. with many options added to increase their margins.

No hoops. I just went for the cheapest one. I liked the white paint and black interior, I didn't need different wheels. Those are the only option choices.
"Hoops" as in placing an order online, then contacting them amend your order before delivery, etc. to eventually get the "$35k" version. I don't see a $35k version on the website, so isn't it still an "off menu" item that takes some extra steps to actually order?

It is no longer available at that price.

I placed my order online, and then waited until I got delivery. No phone calls, no nothing. They even lowered the price while I waited. They have since raised the price a few times. It is all online, no haggling. You pay what they publish unless you get lucky like I did where they reduced the price by $1k while I waited. But also as I said, I didn't pay 35k, I paid 36,990. That extra 2k was for the SR+, which is as base as they get anyway.