Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report: Tesla to Deliver First Cars from Shanghai Factory on Dec. 30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will start delivering on Dec. 30 Model 3s built at its Shanghai plant, according to a report from Reuters

The deliveries will take place just 357 days after the factory’s construction started in an empty field, a new record for global automakers in China. The 15 customers that will receive the earliest cars off the line are Tesla employees, a company representative told Reuters.

Tesla confirmed in October that it was producing vehicles in the Shanghai factory, the company’s first outside the U.S. Tesla plans to ramp up production to 250,000 units of the Model 3 and Model Y at Gigafactory 3. 

The factory is an important milestone for Tesla, offering access to the largest electric car market in the world without tacking on an important tax. 

A Model 3 will cost Chinese customers about 355,800 yuan ($50,000) before subsidies. Tesla is also building service centers and charging stations across China “to assure customers of standardized after-sales service,” Reuters reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that is great news! In the short term, I wonder if it will hurt sales in China this quarter, as people might have delayed buying a more expensive imported car waiting for a less expensive car built in China. We'll find out shortly after the first of the year. Still, exciting news for Tesla and will definitely help in 2020.

I agree that is great news! In the short term, I wonder if it will hurt sales in China this quarter, as people might have delayed buying a more expensive imported car waiting for a less expensive car built in China. We'll find out shortly after the first of the year. Still, exciting news for Tesla and will definitely help in 2020.

Regarding sales in China, it doesn't really matter, since any allocation would have been diverted elsewhere anyway.
Global sales will remain as planned

Tesla will start delivering on Dec. 30 Model 3s built at its Shanghai plant, according to a report from Reuters.
The deliveries will take place just 357 days after the factory’s construction started in an empty field...
The 15 customers that will receive the earliest cars off the line are Tesla employees, a company representative told Reuters.
I wonder how many Tesla Model 3 may have already be build at the Giga 3 factory in Changhai?

VIN 000553 - Nov 8, 2019
Tesla  China - Model 3 - VIN 00553 .jpg

Made-in-China Model 3 First Drive: the Miracle

VIN 3,243 - Dec 29, 2019
Tesla  China - Model 3 - VIN .jpg

Details of Made in China Tesla Model 3 delivered to Chinese customers

Tesla  China - Model 3 - Rear Windows 2 .jpg

Here’s how you decode the Tesla Model 3 VIN
tesla-model-3-vin-decoder.jpg