Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Reported on 12/26/2015) 11+ car wait at Tejon Ranch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cost of temporary and mobile chargers would likely cost more than just building more superchargers. The people who bought a Model S for the zero emissions aspect would probably throw a fit too :frown:

As for those suggesting that the navigation system include information about current supercharger usage, I like it! Except that Tesla can't even be bothered to add some basic features to the navigation, so the chances of that kinda stuff are slim.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Tesla has hit some limitations on the amount of electricity they can pull at Tejon and Harris Ranch. But that stretch of I-5 is far too important to be left as is.

It really was a perfect storm of bad circumstances that led to that huge wait at the supercharger. But I expect that it will get much worse once all those Model X orders are fulfilled.

As I mentioned elsewhere, whenever all operative SuperCharger stalls are occupied at a given location, I think Tesla should message owners as their cars finish charging, kindly informing them that others are likely waiting in line.
Good idea for some locations, but unlikely to give any benefit in this scenario. Everyone was sitting in their cars waiting to get the h*** out of there.

As a hypothetical ICE driver I would certainly have a hearty chuckle at Tesla's expense if I saw that setup.

I don't really get that sentiment, even though that's what was reported there. The only reason I see it being "funny" to those ICE drivers is that Tesla owners have been painted in an improper light to them. They must see us in some way that makes them happy to see this. My guess is that, due to the cost of the vehicle, they imagine a privileged class of some type.

In my view, we're all doing something for society overall by adopting sustainable transport. To have fellow drivers laughing about it is pretty backwards.

I don't really get that sentiment, even though that's what was reported there. The only reason I see it being "funny" to those ICE drivers is that Tesla owners have been painted in an improper light to them. They must see us in some way that makes them happy to see this. My guess is that, due to the cost of the vehicle, they imagine a privileged class of some type.

In my view, we're all doing something for society overall by adopting sustainable transport. To have fellow drivers laughing about it is pretty backwards.

Living in Arizona for 10 years might have altered my faith in humanity. While I would never do such a thing, I routinely encounter people on a daily basis who want to see Tesla fail and try to find anything and everything they can to argue against change. It's just another form of denial, I know that, but it's there and some will seize on that emotion.

There are a lot of backwards people that love to laugh at others' problems. Especially when they feel what those people are doing will impact their lifestyle in a negative way.

All the fuss about showing up to a SC and it be full but only 6 people checked in, in the past 3 days with PlugShare. I'm sure I'll flak.
Why would anyone "check in" to a supercharger on Plugshare? It's useful for finding out about J1772s and other charging in the wild, which are often out of service or otherwise not useful, but most people don't use Plugshare to find out about superchargers.

I think the mobile generator supercharger solution is misguided.

Anyone with access to all the supercharging data and all the sales data ( Tesla ) could have predicted this exact event at this exact location many months ago.
The margin for error would likely have been only a few cars.

Why go to all the trouble to build a mobile supercharger when you know exactly where it will go?

Either they decided it wasn't worth the cost to expedite capacity to prevent this event, or they are wasting the mountain of data they have by not understanding it.

02e2d8c77f51a40712d9573218d6b99d.jpg

Yep still looks busy on Google maps!!! In fact same cars have been there for days!! ;)