Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Reported on 12/26/2015) 11+ car wait at Tejon Ranch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has known for some time that Tejon, with 6 stalls in a state with the greatest population of Teslas and along the busiest North/South corridor, is problematic at times. The warning bells have been sounding for over a year now.

I'm glad that Buttonwillow will be online soon. I'll definitely be skipping Tejon both directions.

Its only on weekends, folks. And it will only get worse.

I had a 20 minute wait at Roseville on a recent Thursday at lunchtime. Note that Roseville is in very close proximity to another SuperCharger at Rocklin, so there was an option nearby. For me, I'd already dropped my family off at a restaurant to get seated so I couldn't quickly try it out. Also, I had one behind me - wouldn't it be disappointing to drive 10 minutes only to be in a longer line?

It was my first wait at a SuperCharger. But I think we should be careful assuming it's only on weekends. What will likely be necessary is a congestion app, as many have mentioned in the past.

I wonder how many of these "travelers" are simply people who want free charging and live near.
From having done the drive on I-5 between Nor Cal and So Cal numerous times in my ICEVs, I'd say VERY few (or more likely none) for that SC. That area is pretty much the middle of nowhere other than some farmland.

Population density is very low.

Look around at Google Maps, to see what I mean.

Last edited:
Photo from FB

12410555_10154484092174816_8113864271138613556_n.jpg

The permitted Buttonwillow charger, hopefully opened by next summer, will solve the Tejon congestion problem.
It will help ease the congestion, but solve it? Not so sure about that. There are already more cars in line today than can fit at both the Buttonwillow and Tejon superchargers put together. An expansion of the Tejon supercharger is needed as well.

Best looking bummer of a line you're likely to see anywhere ever. Could use a couple of Model Xs tho. :smile:

A friendly reminder for those who say the horrors foretold are now upon us, there are many MANY SuperChargers out there at which it is a thrill to see a single car, because there are almost always none.

Probably none of them. Who is going to wait in a line of cars 15 deeps just for a few dollars worth of free energy, as well as block the charger stalls for people who need to charge to get to/from home?

Have you been to San Juan Capistrano? Yes, people do that... even leaving the car in the stall for hours and hours while they are elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

It will help ease the congestion, but solve it? Not so sure about that. There are already more cars in line today than can fit at both the Buttonwillow and Tejon superchargers put together. An expansion of the Tejon supercharger is needed as well.

They need more locations, not 15 chargers at one location. Probably one somewhere up the grapevine. Imagine a closed road or a blown transformer at a site with 15 charge stalls.

I wonder how many of those in line would've been on the 101 but diverted because of the brush fires. There are two routes, but I believe that the 101 was/is (?) closed for some brush fires today.

Have you been to San Juan Capistrano? Yes, people do that... even leaving the car in the stall for hours and hours while they are elsewhere.

You didn't read what I posted. No, I haven't been there, and yes, I know "people do that". But I really don't think a local owner would show up and see a line of cars, much less 15, and decided to wait in line for 1 to 2 hours (plus charging time) just to save a few dollars. They'd "make" more money panhandling for dimes from the other owners waiting in line.