Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Reported on 12/26/2015) 11+ car wait at Tejon Ranch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much better (faster) it would be if Tesla stopped sharing power between pedestals. If they can't add more pedestals, at least double the power. Or maybe, better switching apparatus that doesn't just split two pedestals but all pedestals (if that is even possible).

Paired pedestals share a single Supercharger cabinet, which by design can only output 130kW, max. Doing what you suggest requires a redesign of the Supercharger hardware and replacing the Superchargers already in place, all in order to handle an edge case. It would be far better to increase the number of Supercharger locations. Second choice would be to increase the number of Supercharger cabinets and pedestals at existing locations.

There also is a 4000ft climb from burbank to Tejon
At first, I thought the number was wrong (too high), but it looks like you're right given
Tejon Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Tejon Pass, aka The Grapevine Truck Crash.

I haven't been thru there in awhile myself and don't make it a habit to take notes on the elevation signs.

For those who haven't been on it, I found these. They're the right highway.

California Interstate 5 (I-5) Grapevine Ascent at 300 MPH - YouTube (climb starts at ~1:40)
Interstate 5 North: Driving Over Tejon Pass The Grapevine - YouTube

Last edited:
I was lucky was at Tejon yesterday at noon. Only 2 cars besides me. I was in a hurry I usually do 220 - 230 rm to make it to Cabazon and avoid Rancho Cucamonga. I only did 200. I wasn't sure going to make it Cabazon due to weather d. Rolled into Rancho Cucamonga to find it filled and no owners in site. Everyone in the mall and probably a good amount of locals. Had to wait approx 30 minutes. The good part was I got the 1/2 of the pair that was use used due to a volt using the slot that shares a supercharger and a level 2

Nope. I'm staying far away. All I ever hear is that Tejon, and everything else on the 5, is a nightmare. I totally prefer taking the 101, since is it such a nicer drive and really takes almost no more time.

I hate the 5 and have for 20 years.
FWIW, Google Maps says for me from home to the city of LA is 5 hours via I-5 (well, I have to go on 101 then 152 before 5).

If I alter the route to take 101, it's 5 hours 42 minutes.

If I alter it to take 99, it's 5:36, but it doesn't bypass Tejon Ranch, Grapevine, etc. You need to get on I-5, eventually, unless you feel like diverting towards Mojave (99 to 58 to 14) and making a 335 mile trip into a 410 mile 6:26 one.

For people going between Sacramento and LA, taking 101 REALLY extends the trip vs. I-5.

Typical lithium battery technology can be charged at 2c without long term damage to the cells, for a 90kWh pack that would be 180kW charging, with balancing of cells that would achieve a full charge in about 30 minutes from cells that are not completely discharged.

IMHO Tesla should be focusing on enabling a much higher amperage from a supercharger.

If I were a business owner on a major travel corridor I would happily PAY Tesla to install superchargers near my business as it would bring in clientele with time to kill and money. Ultimately the fast charge infrastructure needs to be as ubiquitous as the petroleum based infrastructure is today.

I know battery swapping wasn't popular and they decided not to expand that, but superchargers and battery swap capability were two of the key reasons I reserved a Model X in 2012. If traveling around CA becomes impractical because of supercharger oversubscription it will have a definite negative impact not only for Tesla but for EVs in general as I am certain I'm not unique in Superchargers being key to my decision process.

Yah, that will make a great front-age article about Tesla - look, Tesla uses diesel generators to power its "clean" cars. No thanks.

The solution is to build more Superchargers. If they aren't keeping pace, then spend more money and hire more people...

I don't see a problem with diesel generators on a limited basis. For example, just on Holiday weekends. It's not like this hasn't been done before. Spending more money would be nice, but TM doesn't have Apple's cash reserves.

I don't see a problem with diesel generators on a limited basis. For example, just on Holiday weekends. It's not like this hasn't been done before. Spending more money would be nice, but TM doesn't have Apple's cash reserves.
I agree, it's no different than the electricity used to charge the cars at home or at a supercharger coming from coal or natural gas. The benefit is no exhaust pollution in the city where the car is being driven. Everyone knows the electricity had to come from somewhere.

Took a trip to visit the family in AZ this week. Since Tejon and Harris Ranch were fairly crowed on my way out, I decided to avoid peak times at Tejon this weekend (12/26/15). I left Tucson 10 AM on 12/26 and drove straight though (idea being drive a few hours and nap for a few while charging). I hit Tejon at 11PM 12/26 with one other person there. I was there a 2 hours and only one more Tesla showed up. I hit Harris Ranch at 3am and didn't see anyone at all while I was there. I made it home (Sunnyvale, CA) 8am 12/27. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm wiped out today. Don't think I'll be doing that again soon :) Certainly hitting Tejon very late or early is a good idea for now.

With Burbank now open I decided to play with the routing app while charging. I seem to remember it was saying you can make it from Burbank to Harris avoiding Tejon if you have a full charge (your milage may vary). So this may be another option. Button willow (when open) and Burbank will certainly alleviate the crowing at Tejon.

Nostalgia: I drove I-5 when it was fresh & new. A white ribbon of smooth, clean concrete. Your tires were almost silent because the surface was so uniform. Now it's somewhat different. HyperLoop anyone!?!

An expensive solution is a 400 mile battery pack. Skip the frequent stops and enjoy getting home on time.

Maybe the air suspension could be made to rise up for a second loaner pack attached to the bottom for long hauls.

A Tesla Truck would offer the easiest extra kW capability, just drop it in the truck bed and drive.

I'd like to see some supercharger stalls and a few 80A HPWC at the Tejon outlet mall across the freeway.

We drove home from Ventura today, and the busiest site was Atascadero at 1:30pm, 1 car waiting when I pulled in but luckily he got a spot within a few minutes and then another car pulled out within 10 minutes.

We've gotten used to planning our trips around the car, but a multi hour wait or expecting us to draft semi trucks for 300 miles would just be too much.

I agree, it's no different than the electricity used to charge the cars at home or at a supercharger coming from coal or natural gas. The benefit is no exhaust pollution in the city where the car is being driven. Everyone knows the electricity had to come from somewhere.
Natural gas is far cleaner burning than coal or diesel.