Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Reported on 12/26/2015) 11+ car wait at Tejon Ranch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Burbank to Harris Ranch is 188 miles...that's the distance t the Supercharger closest to where i live...I consider that my "easiest" trip. If you have an 85kWh pack you should easily make that, even in cold weather, at 60mph. Completely reasonable.

Wow... 60 mph... I would rather take my ICE. Driving long distances at 60mph on I-5 with dirt as scenery is torcher. Tesla should put disclaimers for supercharger to supercharger charging to drive slower than posted speed limits for little to no range anxiety if that's the case. I just drove from L.A. to San Jose. That cold 30 degree weather sucked the hell out of my battery... even driving between 65 - 70 mph with strong head winds to "safely" make it. I personally don't care to stay on the road longer than needed. Point A to B as quick as possible. I have other things to do.

Ouch, that line is depressing. Having to wait almost two hours to begin charging would make me question my Tesla purchase :eek:

Anyone suggesting that drivers should drive slow and skip the Tejon Ranch supercharger are severely underestimating the elevation change at the grapevine and the speed of traffic on that section of I-5 in general, as well as the fact that the Harris Ranch supercharger can get just as busy as the Tejon Ranch one. The upcoming Buttonwillow supercharger might help alleviate the load, but it's a bit out of the way plus there isn't much around that area. Tesla really needs to upgrade the charging infrastructure at Tejon and Harris Ranch soon!

This is sad to see. I am in the market for a Model S next year and this is my route. Unfortunately sometimes I am forced to drive when it is most crowded. I am not sure why there is no Kettleman City SC since that is a way better place to stop. There's already a lack of SC's on the 5. Los Banos also might be a good place.

This is sad to see. I am in the market for a Model S next year and this is my route. Unfortunately sometimes I am forced to drive when it is most crowded. I am not sure why there is no Kettleman City SC since that is a way better place to stop. There's already a lack of SC's on the 5. Los Banos also might be a good place.

Kettleman City is pretty close to Harris Ranch. The new Buttonwillow one is a good one, especially the proximity to Tejon...

On another note...

Looks like we've made the news: Transport Evolved article on Tejon Ranch.

Kettleman would be perfect, right by the Starbucks would be ideal.

Peter+

Check the Buttonwillow Supercharger thread: it appears that construction has begun!

That's good news for sure. What our people's thoughts on how this would affect your planning for going North or South?

With no real-time utilization info, I'm not sure how I would handle the process. Always stop at Buttonwillow going to Tejon and always stop at Tejon going towards Buttonwillow? Always have enough charge to make that extra 40+ mile trek and then if either of those stations are full, keep going and hope the next one is not?

Just wondering how you others would plan for this...

Tesla does what they can, but we all know that the number of cars will grow faster than the number of chargers.

What interests me is that most of us have known for years that the very busiest of times for charging has been Saturday AM thru Sunday night. And knowing this, we all simply MUST drive where ever on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. And drive the busiest roads, too. And then we all get excited and write posts because we have to wait somewhere.

Of course, I know we can't change our ways at all. We all must travel only on weekends.

I have been charging ever since they put in the first charger. I never had to wait anywhere, ever. People complained of waiting for charging, and I had never been anywhere where the chargers were half filled. Amazing. Then I went somewhere on a Saturday afternoon. And guess what? I had to wait.

I don't suppose this will help any, but if it is at all possible, AT ALL possible, plan your drive for some other time. Leave Friday afternoon. Or come back Monday morning, or even very late Sunday night. Of course, you all know this, and you all think that everyone else will do it.

That will do more for uncrowding the chargers than anything else. Its only on weekends, folks. And it will only get worse.

Pretty good advice roblab. Too bad no one wants to listen to reason.

It will help ease the congestion, but solve it? Not so sure about that. There are already more cars in line today than can fit at both the Buttonwillow and Tejon superchargers put together. An expansion of the Tejon supercharger is needed as well.

The Fresno supercharger will be open in a month. Anyone traveling north and *not* to the Bay Area will use that one instead since 99 is a better smoother 3 lane freeway with a shorter distance from socal to Sacramento and beyond.

Whoops. Was thinking of Harris ranch.

Guess we'll have to wait for the Bakersfield SC next year.

Last edited:
It's actually better to have multiple nearby locations for busy supercharger locations and I am sure Tesla is aware of this.

As bad as this was imagine if a transformer blew and Tejon Ranch was out of commission.... Redundancy is always better.

Agreed.

They should get real time usage online, so drivers know the capacity of each SC while driving, as well as the % SOC of each vehicle there and expected wait time to full (and eventually tap into the car nav to guess how much the car is charging to and give ETAs to other travelers automatically). Then Tesla drivers can just go to the next exit, like we do now with oil cars. Hell, with oil cars, there's this app I always use called GasBuddy that tells me the cheapest gas every single time. I agree with the poster who said a public API that PlugShare can tap into would also make this wonderful, as well as any third party apps and web sites. Tesla doesn't have to code the best version first; they can let the marketplace of programmers do that, and eventually they'll upgrade the car to have as good as everyone else third partying it.

At first, I thought the number was wrong (too high), but it looks like you're right given
Tejon Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Tejon Pass, aka The Grapevine Truck Crash.

I haven't been thru there in awhile myself and don't make it a habit to take notes on the elevation signs.

For those who haven't been on it, I found these. They're the right highway.

California Interstate 5 (I-5) Grapevine Ascent at 300 MPH - YouTube (climb starts at ~1:40)
Interstate 5 North: Driving Over Tejon Pass The Grapevine - YouTube

Awesome YouTube links! Thanks for posting those. They really reminded me of a lot of wonderful times in my life! What memories. Great, good, and always trying to forget the bad (and lessons).

Agreed.

They should get real time usage online, so drivers know the capacity of each SC while driving, as well as the % SOC of each vehicle there and expected wait time to full (and eventually tap into the car nav to guess how much the car is charging to and give ETAs to other travelers automatically). Then Tesla drivers can just go to the next exit, like we do now with oil cars. Hell, with oil cars, there's this app I always use called GasBuddy that tells me the cheapest gas every single time. I agree with the poster who said a public API that PlugShare can tap into would also make this wonderful, as well as any third party apps and web sites. Tesla doesn't have to code the best version first; they can let the marketplace of programmers do that, and eventually they'll upgrade the car to have as good as everyone else third partying it.

I believe Elon laid out this exact plan ... A network of cars and Superchargers so I expect it will appear one day

Is there any specific reason they're adding a station in Buttonwillow versus just expanding Tejon? It seems oddly placed at just 39 miles away from Tejon. It would make more sense if it was at more of the half way point between Harris Ranch and Tejon. It just seems like expanding Tejon is the obvious way to go unless Tesla thinks it's better press to have 4 cars waiting at two different stations not making much news versus 8 cars waiting at one station and drawing a bunch of attention.

On a semi-related note, the southbound Grapevine/ Tejon pass is magic for regen. I picked up my first 85 in Bakersfield with 200 miles of range, needing to get to the Hollywood Hills. I had no idea what to expect for range and was in a semi-state of panic until I hit the pass and started climbing at which point I broke into a full state of panic as I proceeded to lose something like 25 miles of range in 5 minutes. My anxiety was short lived as I think I used something like 5 miles of range between the top of the pass all the way down to Santa Clarita. Going southbound you can pick up about an hour of "free" travel since you're descent into the Santa Clarita Valley is so gradual. It's great.

Is there any specific reason they're adding a station in Buttonwillow versus just expanding Tejon? It seems oddly placed at just 39 miles away from Tejon. It would make more sense if it was at more of the half way point between Harris Ranch and Tejon.
It make sense from the point of view of utility power capacity and mitigating risk of local power failure in single large location. Making it half way may be too far for those that needs the charge badly.