Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reporting delivery faults later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just noticed a cut on the steering wheel of my M3LR (which was delivered in December). I'd covered 400 odd miles when I reported it, the car has been sitting on the drive most of the time and the cut is not directly in the driving position, so only noticed on recent drive. Tesla say this is outside of the reporting period so tough. Given the very limited use of the car is this reasonable?

Attachments

• IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 175
I've just noticed a cut on the steering wheel of my M3LR (which was delivered in December). I'd covered 400 odd miles when I reported it, the car has been sitting on the drive most of the time and the cut is not directly in the driving position, so only noticed on recent drive. Tesla say this is outside of the reporting period so tough. Given the very limited use of the car is this reasonable?

Unless you can prove it was present at delivery I’m afraid it’s down too bad luck if you haven’t notified them of it within the claim period they give.

Unless you can prove it was present at delivery I’m afraid it’s down too bad luck if you haven’t notified them of it within the claim period they give.
Their policy is seven days or 100 miles which seems a woefully insufficient period to diagnose or notice any fault and also seems to fall short of the consumer goods act. Had it not been the lockdown I would certainly have noticed it sooner, although as the cut is out of sight and not in the normal driving position I'm not sure I would have before driving a reasonable distance. I wish they would just be honest about it and not try and shove some small print to try and avoid covering what was a fault present at delivery. It wasn't that long ago when you could drive 1000 miles or seven days and give the whole car back if you didn't like it!

Their policy is seven days or 100 miles which seems a woefully insufficient period to diagnose or notice any fault and also seems to fall short of the consumer goods act. Had it not been the lockdown I would certainly have noticed it sooner, although as the cut is out of sight and not in the normal driving position I'm not sure I would have before driving a reasonable distance. I wish they would just be honest about it and not try and shove some small print to try and avoid covering what was a fault present at delivery. It wasn't that long ago when you could drive 1000 miles or seven days and give the whole car back if you didn't like it!

The 100 miles is for paint issues - the seven days is for other defects.

They will argue that 7 days is long enough for you to fully and thoroughly inspect the vehicle inside and out and report any defects to them. Given that this is made clear at collection in the paperwork you sign your going to be hard pressed to argue it.

You can still return the car within 1000 miles and 7 (maybe 14 days?) if you wish.

Based on Which (quote below) I have right of repair, not sure if anyone has got Tesla to move on something like this?

What are my rights after 30 days?
If a problem is found after 30 days, but within six months of purchase, you can request a repair or a replacement vehicle. The onus is on the seller of the car to prove the fault wasn’t present when it was sold; if they can, and you’re likely to have known about it, you won’t get a refund.

It depends on what the defect is. I reported several defects outside the time/mileage period and they were acted on. Some would have been warranty issues which would have been covered pretty much any point during the warranty period, but some were only noticeable over time.

We had what was in the end a massive scratch down 2/3 of the inside of the passenger side windscreen which only became evident in certain lighting conditions (but once seen, never forgotten) - new windscreen.

Another example was an air gap in the sealant of the front roof panel - that became evident first time it was hard frost and cabin pre conditioning was used - two new roof panels as ironically in testing the issue they found further occurrences including rear panel.

Yours sounds in similar vein to our scratched windscreen. Whats the chances of it being scratched like that in normal use? For us, our scratch could not have been anything other than there during manufacturing. That looks to be a bit harder to prove here but, imho, likely to be the case - seems to be on the reverse edge of the wheel so unlikely to be cut by anything being inside the car. A more tricky discussion. So soon after delivery imho it would be up to Tesla to prove it wasn't there. Old photos may help.

Good luck claiming for something that could reasonably have occurred after you took delivery. Even paint issues once you drive off become arguable if its a stone chip on the front whereas over spray or a missed area of paint would be more obviously a defect. While I'm a critic of Tesla on many things, I have sympathy for them on this. If it had been stitching coming apart that would be different, that looks potentially like a ring scuffing the wheel or even a finger nail. The thing in your favour to argue is if they wanted to kick you off site quickly when you took delivery and they didn't make it clear how long you had to report things

In essence, there's a difference between a defect and damage, that looks like damage and so isn't warranty as such.

Usually they have been fine about sorting things, that is going through the early snags process a couple of times. But I gues the wheel costs a bit more to sort.

I spoke to trading standards and the consumer rights act of 2015, as they explained to me, seems to be fairly clear: up to six
months it is up to them to prove that the damage was not there on delivery, and they should repair or make good. What their own policy is is irrelevant, the law is what counts.

It is obviously going to be a pain to sort but will persist. Hopefully they can be reasonable. They should want to fix these type of faults IMO.

Good luck claiming for something that could reasonably have occurred after you took delivery. Even paint issues once you drive off become arguable if its a stone chip on the front whereas over spray or a missed area of paint would be more obviously a defect. While I'm a critic of Tesla on many things, I have sympathy for them on this. If it had been stitching coming apart that would be different, that looks potentially like a ring scuffing the wheel or even a finger nail. The thing in your favour to argue is if they wanted to kick you off site quickly when you took delivery and they didn't make it clear how long you had to report things

In essence, there's a difference between a defect and damage, that looks like damage and so isn't warranty as such.

I bite my nails, one of my many sins!

Of the numerous problems I have had with Tesla’s the handful have involved scrapes and cuts look similar to this. I am pretty sure this happens during the rushed prep ahead of delivery. Not sure if they use those little safety knives to remove the coverings.

I bite my nails, one of my many sins!

Of the numerous problems I have had with Tesla’s the handful have involved scrapes and cuts look similar to this. I am pretty sure this happens during the rushed prep ahead of delivery. Not sure if they use those little safety knives to remove the coverings.
You're not the first to report this, whether that helps your case or not....

Cut on Steering Wheel Cover

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Surely that six months thing has exclusions, otherwise anyone could pretty much do any damage like this to their car, accidentally or otherwise, and then get it repaired for free?

Have to say that I agree with @GeorgeSymonds. Playing Devils Advocate there’s only you say so that this was there at the point of collection. It’s one of those things that could reasonably occur during ownership through carelessness etc.

Hope you get it sorted though.

Surely that six months thing has exclusions, otherwise anyone could pretty much do any damage like this to their car, accidentally or otherwise, and then get it repaired for free?

Have to say that I agree with @GeorgeSymonds. Playing Devils Advocate there’s only you say so that this was there at the point of collection. It’s one of those things that could reasonably occur during ownership through carelessness etc.

Hope you get it sorted though.

Sure I see your point. I could well be Edward Scissorhands.