Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reporting FSD Feedback - do you always send email or just "press the button"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I love that they have a button in the car to send feedback, but how do they make sense of it? It's almost impossible for me to remember where/when I was when I get home to send them feedback on the particular time(s) I pressed the button. Especially if it was more than once in a drive.

For example, one time, the car didn't get into the turn lane and just stayed in the straight-through lane and stopped with the turn signal on... I pressed the "snapshot" button and then when I was home about an hour later, I sent an email trying to remember the time and exact intersection. Is the latter necessary? If I don't do that, it's it even worth it? I would love it if you could press the button and record a verbal comment.

Anyway I'm far more likely to report by pressing the button, but hours later - the odds of me remembering enough to send an email is ... uh... less likely. So is it "good enough" to just press the button?

So I love that they have a button in the car to send feedback, but how do they make sense of it? It's almost impossible for me to remember where/when I was when I get home to send them feedback on the particular time(s) I pressed the button. Especially if it was more than once in a drive.

For example, one time, the car didn't get into the turn lane and just stayed in the straight-through lane and stopped with the turn signal on... I pressed the "snapshot" button and then when I was home about an hour later, I sent an email trying to remember the time and exact intersection. Is the latter necessary? If I don't do that, it's it even worth it? I would love it if you could press the button and record a verbal comment.

Anyway I'm far more likely to report by pressing the button, but hours later - the odds of me remembering enough to send an email is ... uh... less likely. So is it "good enough" to just press the button?

I think for me, once I've reported a problem by tapping on the camera icon or intervening, I'd expect some kind of change/improvement after two versions. At least that's the impression I'm getting based on Elon's tweets. I may look to provide more detailed notes to Tesla if I'm not seeing any fixes to the consistent stuff I run into.

For now, I'm just driving the car as much as I can using FSD, and taking over/reporting when it does something incorrect. I have one particular intersection the car does not know how to make a left turn on, constantly tries to swerve into the far right lane instead of just using the left turn lane. Has done this since I first received 10.3, so if by 10.5 it's exhibiting the same behavior I'll likely send off an email.

Right, but you didn't answer my question ;) do you just press the button or do you press the button and then follow it up with an email explaining what was going on when you hit the button?

Apologies for not being explicit 🤦‍♂️. I've thus far only been disengaging/intervening when necessary, and pushing the camera button when something really bad happens. Not sending any emails yet, giving Tesla two versions to see if it improves. If it doesn't improve, I might start emailing specifics.

Right, but you didn't answer my question ;) do you just press the button or do you press the button and then follow it up with an email explaining what was going on when you hit the button?
After hitting the button 100-150 times in one week, yeah no emails for specific situations from me. I would hope the button is like using the Dashcam where it marks video before and after the event to they can see it all. I am sure they are focusing on the obvious so with video before and after the button press they can make improvements.

But when I have general things like the slowdown coming into town with progressively lowering speed limits is waaaay too slow, then those things I email. Each feedback method has its use but I wouldn't write emails for every button press.

Reactions: jbadger and Krock65
I’ve got to re-read the release notes and find that button to send Tesla information because I was on Highway 54 and they have those squiggly tar lines on Highway 54 and it kept giving me all kinds of emergency take the wheel this and add collision blah blah blah and there was nothing and no one anywhere near me and I figured out the cameras were picking up on the squiggly black tar lines embedded in the road I got on another stretch of highway that was just blacktop and it was fine with that one kind of road drove the car FSD crazy.
to inform my stupidity on what screen is that report button?

Some good responses to a thread I started with a similar question:

Regarding when to press the report button, I only do it for egregious errors. Basically safety issues. For example, FSD always wants to make a right turn into a bike lane where I live. It travels in the bike lane for a bit then gets over to the left. I've reported via the button twice or so, but then I stopped.

Also, the original Early Access people have reported that you only get 5 snapshots per drive.

I've only emailed in, when there was a situation where a pedestrian was involved. When 10.2 first came out, we had massive acceleration from stop signs (the so-called "boost"). It didn't see a pedestrian at night doing this (granted he was jaywalking), I had to slam on the brakes to prevent it. I used this to plead with them to cool it a bit on the boost as it was also causing my tires to slip while accelerating. 10.3.1 fixed this.

I seriously doubt emailing adds any value to the feedback loop. Explaining what didn't happen, should have happened, etc. is not something a console operator can really influence, esp. if we are talking about collecting mass video training sets. Asking a human to sit in the middle to moderate would be acceptable early in the modeling phase with limited examples, but with a reasonably large beta with a bunch of *untrained* testers, there's just no way I can see for email can scale.

Where do we submit feedback to? I would love to send feedback when i hit the button because there are scenarios that FSD always gets wrong and they should know.
See post #10 above. I only send emails for serious issues and include location/date/time and snippet from Google maps. Have no idea whether they actually look at them but several problems have been resolved but that may be just a total coincidence.

It is difficult to remember, after the drive, exactly where something happened, but I consider anything that is 'scary' worth noting to Tesla. Much of it, I admit, is my relative i experience with FSD. I did find out the email address and thank you for the help. I haven't used it because I am, for reasons unknown, several iterations back from the current beta version. I only just got the 10.9 update and haven't taken it out yet, but others are on 10.10.1. It seems to me that I shouldn't comment unless/until I am using the version that others have already commented on.

I just do the button, I have sent emails in the past but there are so many issues that I would need a passenger just to keep notes of all the problems and I haven't noticed any fixes happen either way. If I saw any progress on my reported issues I would make more effort like maybe putting a camera in the car to record so I could go back and watch the screen and everything to send an email but I drive a lot for work, many trips in a small area and report all the intersections that have issues and nothing has been fixed with or without sending emails (I completely understand they are swamped with data and issues). I don't expect to report something and it be fixed in the next version, these are all the same issues I have reported in every version since I got beta with the other 99'ers. Just to give reference of how many trips I make, last month I had 547 drives, the month before had 642 drives and this is in a relatively small area so I experience these things over and over. Now I generally use the beta for a few days after a release, report the same issues and anything new that might of popped up then stop using it until the next release as I don't see a point in repeatedly flooding them with the same reports over and over again within the same build and I constantly have to disengage anyway.