Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of slower accelleration after latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it seems everyone is feeling less neck snap. This is probably due to your body and mind learning what to expect. The longer you drive the car the more you will naturally anticipate what happens when you floor it. DragTimes on YouTube dynoed and ran the quarter mile with a Model 3 with Vbox data. I am sure they could get get the info you desire.

A user name has never been more appropriately fitting.

Not sure if this helps but since my Model 3 seems to be unable to recieve an update for whatever reason I’m still on old software.

2018.14.13 82% SOC

Not sure how I can share the log file but if someone needs it I guess PM me and we’ll work it out.

Attachments

• 7B7B934B-74A2-459D-8AC8-20C7EB8B6F57.png
    7B7B934B-74A2-459D-8AC8-20C7EB8B6F57.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 429E8A8D-FE2E-4354-89E6-C4BD830B8402.png
    429E8A8D-FE2E-4354-89E6-C4BD830B8402.png
    375 KB · Views: 84
80% is not good enough, especially because where 80% is in real SoC moves around, but also pack temperature often dominates the available power output over SoC. If you guys aren't controlling for that, means nothing. Of course, no Model 3 owner has a battery heat button, so good luck guaranteeing peak power battery temp.
We aren't looking at the 0-60 times. We are looking at max power settings and deriving torque from the initial acceleration of power. So you can still learn a lot from those their standard deviations.

The bigger problem is a lack of samples. We have 400,000 model and X vehicles on the road and 150 samples of performance runlogs. We have 20,000 model 3s and one pair of runlogs. I suspect what we really lack is time.

We won't be controlling for pack temperature until we get CANBus data samples which, considering how the CANBus data is carried on the 3. may be a while. I suspect you check back in with us in a year.

So it looks like max power stayed the same. Odd that it took you nearly 7 seconds to get to 60 though.
For whatever it’s worth when I left to do the run I was at 90% SOC and the max power I saw was 255kw when I mashed it getting on the highway shortly after leaving. That was at around 70mph then it tapered off as usual. Not totally sure why it tapers off on a 0-60 run sooner.

We aren't looking at the 0-60 times. We are looking at max power settings and deriving torque from the initial acceleration of power. So you can still learn a lot from those their standard deviations.

The bigger problem is a lack of samples. We have 400,000 model and X vehicles on the road and 150 samples of performance runlogs. We have 20,000 model 3s and one pair of runlogs. I suspect what we really lack is time.

We won't be controlling for pack temperature until we get CANBus data samples which, considering how the CANBus data is carried on the 3. may be a while. I suspect you check back in with us in a year.

How do you think the cars slows down at different SoC's? Total power goes down, even for the same current draw.

How do you think the cars slows down at different SoC's? Total power goes down, even for the same current draw.
I don't see the torque changing much. But you see a discussion that it can here between MikeBur and Jason Hughes.

I overlayed recent contributor's (newer, mostly non performance) data on Old Man Mike's performance data below.

Again there is no Model 3 data here and none of mine is adjusted for temperature.

But the conclusion is that in a high performance car, especially the older ones that max power drops a lot with lower State of Charge (SoC). Also that in car like the S75D if you put a high performance battery in it (BTX8) then the car limits the max power so that changes in SoC have no effect.

upload_2018-5-29_11-52-19.png

Last edited:
So it looks like max power stayed the same. Odd that it took you nearly 7 seconds to get to 60 though.
Just pointing out with regards to max power staying the same I’m still on old software. I’m on 2018.14.13, 2018.18.3 was the update that people claim is slower so we need to find someone still on that version to run a test. By the time I get an update it will be past there likely in the 2018.20 range.

I don't see the torque changing much. But you see a discussion that it can here between MikeBur and Jason Hughes.

I overlayed my (newer, mostly non performance) data on Old Man Mike's performance data below.

Again there is no Model 3 data here and none of mine is adjusted for temperature.

But the conclusion is that in a high performance car, especially the older ones that max power drops a lot with lower State of Charge (SoC). Also that in car like the S75D if you put a high performance battery in it (BTX8) then the car limits the max power so that changes in SoC have no effect.

If you just think about it from first principles it's not that complicated, nor is it magic. If you are never current limited, you can draw exactly as much power as you want by increasing demand current. Of course the highest performance models are current limited for quite a while.

This is still neither here not there if one of you guys is trying to prove Model 3 got slower. You MUST control for battery SoC AND pack temperature. If it did get slower, then uninformed speculation and uncontrolled data is not helping that case.

Just a thought... This came about around the same time as the AWD version was being announced / produced.

I wonder if the rear motor firmware was tweaked so that it is optimized for AWD with a front motor helping with acceleration?

( We saw some threads where it looked like some Tesla's had audio quality degrade and it seemed like a change designed for one type of MCU that adversely impacted cars with different MCUs. )
Now that Tesla has different versions of Model 3 to support, they need to have firmware with "#ifdefs" that handle all the different configurations optimally.
It would be a shame if RWD "took a back seat" to AWD and had some performance hit as they retuned things for the AWD cars.

I settled for RWD in part because the reports of 0-60 in ~4.6 sounded "good enough", and I had expected AWD to be not that much different (assuming battery pack power output was main limitation.)
If the AWD gets 4.5 0-60 and RWD is actually detuned back to 5.1, then I end up somewhat disappointed.

My Model 3 is too new / recent for me to have a before / after experience since I already had the "new" firmware when I picked it up.

Again, just brainstorming / rambling. Maybe not related at all.

Last edited:
I observed same. I was pulling my hair, why am I feeling that initial acceleration is considerably slowed down. Like many here, I checked Chill vs Other modes, still feeling same. Once I get to 20+ MPH it feels alright.

I first ran into this change, when I was trying to turn left on the local curvy road, no cars when I checked to the left and then checked right, and while pressing accelerator looked left again, I see a car coming in and pressed hard on accelerator, but no gain in acceleration. My pulse raised a little because other car came closer before I crossed. At that moment it felt like I am driving Prius, looked at steering wheel to confirm I am still in my M3, not in my wife's Prius.. LOL. I was more worried something would happen to my M3 though.

Later I tested doing few local acceleration runs, I can see there is considerable drop in the "off the line performance". Once we are at 20+, it is rapid as usual.

I called Tesla and I formally complained about this issue to Tesla along with Blank Rear Camera view on cold start. Rep said he did not hear about this issue. So whoever ran into this issue appreciate if you can formally send your request for fix to [email protected] from your official Tesla Account email, preferably with your VIN also so that they can check if this impacted some set of cars because of some differences.

I am hoping they will fix it asap. Initial acceleration is more important to avoid things like I described above.

We had no problem connecting both of our iPhones up as "keys" to accommodate keyless entry and start.

maybe they just tweaked the torque curve and it's the same 0-60

We are looking at max power settings and deriving torque from the initial acceleration of power.
For those reasons I like teslalog.com much better than powertools. It plots a nice power curve. Here is a 30-90 mph run at WOT and ~80%SOC with late Feb firmware.

upload_2018-5-29_19-36-9.png

Sorry I can't yet find a good 0-100mph run at a higher SOC. It's a bit of chore to try to find old runs.

I have to agree that getting the before and after specs. is important but I must share that I thought I was going crazy. As most Model 3 owners I have given quite a few interested parties rides and after the update noticed the reduced acceleration on startup. When it reaches 30 mph it seems fine. The reason it seems so dramatic is the initial response is something my wife and I were looking for. She drove a Suburu Forester with the turbo engine. It was pretty quick for a Suburu but had that turbo lag. This was not experience with the M3 until after the recent update. Same sort of lag. I think the startup acceleration is more important than 0-60 specs.

• Informative
Reactions: slipnslider