Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of slower accelleration after latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thought... They mentioned "cherry picking" the best motors to go into the new P-AWD models.

What if they decided that motors that can't do as well with high current go to the lowly RWD, so they needed to turn down the amps on the RWD to accommodate the lower spec RWD motors they will now use for that model?
They want to encourage more people to pony up for the higher markup P-AWD version, so putting the lower spec motors into the pedestrian RWD would fit that plan, perhaps... (?)

emt1.jpg

Did I interpret that correctly? "lowest sigma output" motors get lot sorted to go to RWD ?

I wonder how long they have been sorting them like that? Have they been hand picking the best motors for a while and storing them for performance production?

Last edited:
Another thought... They mentioned "cherry picking" the best motors to go into the new P-AWD models.

What if they decided that motors that can't do as well with high current go to the lowly RWD, so they needed to turn down the amps on the RWD to accommodate the lower spec RWD motors they will now use for that model?
They want to encourage more people to pony up for the higher markup P-AWD version, so putting the lower spec motors into the pedestrian RWD would fit that plan, perhaps... (?)

View attachment 306568

Did I interpret that correctly? "lowest sigma output" motors get lot sorted to go to RWD ?

I wonder how long they have been sorting them like that? Have they been hand picking the best motors for a while and storing them for performance production?

The way I interpret this is, the front drive unit is AC Induction motor which is designed for performance and will get double the burn-in. Rear drive unit is Switched Reluctance PM motor and both gets Carbide inverters. My understanding is current RWD drive unit already uses Carbide inverter and is of Switched Reluctance PM motor.

But my concern is, whatever the reason may be(may be long term reliability or keeping the performance in the check) they reduced initial current draw. Since my M3 at Service Center for 4 days for various body related fixes, I got old model S 85 RWD, and initial acceleration(off the line pull) is very good.That is what the change I have been experiencing in my M3 before and after the updates.

• Disagree
Reactions: AWDtsla
When a performance car launches, the weight bias shifts rearward, so I would think that rear motor should be doing the heavier current push at launch.
Front motor could be geared higher to slowly take over pulling as the speed increases.
I mean if you look at Model S & X, the P versions have bigger REAR motor.
So to me, P-AWD Model 3 should have more powerful motor in the rear, and so I assumed the "performance drive units" comment was about the rear motors, not the fronts.
I view the front motor as a "helper motor", gear optimized more for high speed cruising, not off the line acceleration.

But I could be wrong.

This would be the worst case explanation in my opinion. Intentionally crippling cars THAT THEY NO LONGER OWN in order to sell more upgrades on future models would be corporate sleaziness on par with enron, monsanto, and martin skrelli. I hope there's a better explanation.

Reactions: xborg and Racinjay
So much angst, so little data.

We want someone to post data to, I promise

But for now I will admit that I have none and I’m speculating more out of fear than any level of certainty. It is just perception and even at that sometimes it feels faster than others. Tonight on my way home, even after my earlier post about my concerns, the car actually seems really quick!

Leaving Temecula supercharger and the thing is jumping forward like it used to. Basically kills my earlier “confirmation of NERF” ... wtf is going on

I’m genuinely thinking there must be more to it and not actually intentionally detuning customer cars. Some serious algorithms for all kinds of conditions to protect the battery from damage? Or maybe I just get a higher output than usual occasionally when everything is warm and happy? I don’t know.

I really hope Tesla would not detune a car I already took home and have already been driving for 6 months. Would they really nerf my car to push upgrades to AWD and P3D??? Would we fall for it?

And maybe I should just sell mine and buy a P3D if it matters so much to me but now it’s fast again so I guess I’m keeping it. I’m all for Tesla giving us an up-rated power mode though, if any Tesla engineers are reading this here...

We want someone to post data to, I promise

But for now I will admit that I have none and I’m speculating more out of fear than any level of certainty. It is just perception and even at that sometimes it feels faster than others. Tonight on my way home, even after my earlier post about my concerns, the car actually seems really quick!

Leaving Temecula supercharger and the thing is jumping forward like it used to. Basically kills my earlier “confirmation of NERF” ... wtf is going on

I’m genuinely thinking there must be more to it and not actually intentionally detuning customer cars. Some serious algorithms for all kinds of conditions to protect the battery from damage? Or maybe I just get a higher output than usual occasionally when everything is warm and happy? I don’t know.

I really hope Tesla would not detune a car I already took home and have already been driving for 6 months. Would they really nerf my car to push upgrades to AWD and P3D??? Would we fall for it?

And maybe I should just sell mine and buy a P3D if it matters so much to me but now it’s fast again so I guess I’m keeping it. I’m all for Tesla giving us an up-rated power mode though, if any Tesla engineers are reading this here...
You are fearing the loss of something you’re struggling to even detect.
Just forget about it.

You are fearing the loss of something you’re struggling to even detect.
Just forget about it.
I'm more concerned with the principle of it. It's not like a .3 sec 0-60 affects my day to day use of the car, but I have a big problem with any company that would intentionally cripple cars they don't own in order to encourage sales of more expensive new models.

Honestly, having owned a Model S for a couple of years now, I have often thought the "performance" can seem "different" at different times. I can never really put my finger on it though. Sometimes I think it is tied to battery temperature or exterior temps. Other times I think it is charge related or all of the above. Wait until you Model 3 owners get a few drive unit replacements under your belts....then you will really have a lot of variables to debate! ;)

I have no way to time my cars. I decided to buy the Model 3 and sell my Roadster because I wanted a more practical car with the additional safety & convenience features. That said, I was wary of losing that neck-snapping acceleration. But the Model 3 feels almost as fast, subjectively, as the Roadster. Maybe the difference between 4 seconds and 5 is just too small to notice, or the different feel of the two cars obscures the feel of the acceleration. Still on 2018.18.13, though, so I'm hoping the next update does not slow it down.

FWIW, the Roadster was most definitely slower to accelerate when it was wearing the winter tires than it was on summer tires. (The Model 3 won't get winter tires this winter because I'll be spending the winter in warmer climes.)

I have a strong hunch this is all wrong due to the subjective nature of the highly calibrated instrument known as the "Butt Dyno"!

When I first got my Boss 302 Laguna Seca, it scared the hell out of me. 444hp but it was turned at the top end so the explosion of acceleration with the sound of Lucifer's minions out the side pipes was glorious to experience. After a couple of months, it just felt "fast". Thank God I never had it long enough to supercharge it the way some speed addicts do!

Years ago when I swapped a J-spec motor into my Ford Probe GT (same as Mazda MX-6) I instantly went from 164hp to near 200hp and was really impressed-for about a month until that became the "new normal".

This is a fairly common phenomenon to car owners- it blows you away at first but eventually becomes the "new normal" which is part of the reason performance cars these days have become absolutely absurd for driving on the street. My first thought when I drove a P90DL was I was troubled that being able to write the check was the only price of admission. I've never become accustomed to that level of acceleration, but if you all want to crowdfund me a new roadster I'm happy to try! ;):D

The two are pretty close...

View attachment 307509

That's pretty impressive! 4 1/2 seconds for the Model 3. That's a lot faster than the 5.1 seconds in the specs, and explains why it feels so quick to me. It's a lot closer to the Roadster than I thought.

I like the acceleration of the Roadster, but I don't need it. I'd rather have the convenience and improved safety of the Model 3. Which is why I bought the 3 and am selling the Roadster. But the Roadster is a great car. Whoever buys it from me will be very happy with it.

That's pretty impressive! 4 1/2 seconds for the Model 3. That's a lot faster than the 5.1 seconds in the specs, and explains why it feels so quick to me. It's a lot closer to the Roadster than I thought.

I like the acceleration of the Roadster, but I don't need it. I'd rather have the convenience and improved safety of the Model 3. Which is why I bought the 3 and am selling the Roadster. But the Roadster is a great car. Whoever buys it from me will be very happy with it.
That graph includes a rollout and a good timing within the quarter second API rounding. But right in line with Motor Trend's 4.8.

FWIW, I’ve often experienced variability in the perception of power and acceleration in ICE sports cars I’ve owned in the past. Air temp, engine temp, RPM, cargo weight, traction control, etc. can all affect this by a slight margin. I think we are all more used to that in ICE cars due to the already laggy nature of an engine that has to downshift and rev up. We’re now spoiled by the near magical quality of Tesla’s acceleration such that we expect it to be 100% consistent. As if it were a software program running against a spec. We have to remember there are real physical factors at play here.

475Nm and 250kW are the before numbers. Here Let Me Google That For You. Not having my AWD 3 yet I have to rely on you all to do the after run.

View attachment 304099

I’m happy to collect this data. But it appears that Tesla has blocked the streaming API on the Model 3. The only other option is to collect it over the CAN bus. Also happy to do this if someone documents it.