Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of slower accelleration after latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Troubling seeing reports like these:
Did Tesla just slow down our cars? | Tesla

Can anyone confirm?

I know the BMW i3 was slowed down with a software updates because too much torque was breaking engine mount bolts.

Why would tesla do it, and is it even legal? That would be like the cook at Pizza Hut coming into your house and taking the pepperoni's back. Didn't apple just get sued over something like this?
I can't say whether Tesla made a software change causing this issue. But when I noticed lack of acceleration off the line I checked to make sure I was not in chill mode and noticed that chill and normal acceleration modes were grayed out. I have since discovered that you need to turn off the option for speed limit control(which requires a 4 digit code). After doing this I was able to activate the normal acceleration mode and the car accelerates much faster off the line.

Reactions: Hans L
Why would tesla do it, and is it even legal? That would be like the cook at Pizza Hut coming into your house and taking the pepperoni's back. Didn't apple just get sued over something like this?

No, it's nothing like that at all. Tesla advertised 5.1 seconds zero to sixty. If a bug in the firmware resulted in greater acceleration, they'd be perfectly within their rights to fix that bug and bring the car back to spec. But actually, someone posted above that nothing of the sort happened. Someone asserted it, and a number of people (including me) succumbed to the power of suggestion and thought we felt it.

Best car in the world. Let's not complain about imaginary problems. Lets concentrate on helping Tesla make the car better by talking about things they actually got wrong, and the far greater number of things they got right.

Every powerful car I've owned feels like it gets slower over time, because I simply get used to how fast it is. Then when I get my car back from service after a few days with a loaner, it's like I've got back into a rocket. There are apps that let you measure the kW output from the battery to the motor(s). Just remember that maximum power will be affected by the state of charge.

I can't speak for the Model 3, but I've seen no decrease in power over the past year with my Model X P100D.

I can't say whether Tesla made a software change causing this issue. But when I noticed lack of acceleration off the line I checked to make sure I was not in chill mode and noticed that chill and normal acceleration modes were grayed out. I have since discovered that you need to turn off the option for speed limit control(which requires a 4 digit code). After doing this I was able to activate the normal acceleration mode and the car accelerates much faster off the line.

Yes speed limit mode limits acceleration as well as maximum speed. I don't know if there limit is as bad as chill mode or not.

Reactions: bhzmark and Hans L
“Jaguar says, Yes, we can make it do 0-60mph in 1.8sec. It’s a good headline, but once you’ve done it once or twice, and lost your eyes in the back of their sockets, you might not want to do it again.”

Yet they feel it necessary to post misleading drag races between slower Tesla’s while mentioning P100D’s to make there IPace seem faster than a P Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Interesting.
So I went to check, the speed limit control is off yet I’m in the same boat as some where I feel it’s a tad slower than when I first got the car, mind is playing tricks on me, :(

I'd have gotten the Performance version if it had been available in the First Production model. My consolation applies also to slower acceleration (if it's true that is slowed down, though others have insisted this is just a mass delusion.) The consolation for slower acceleration (be it software, or because I don't have the P model) is tire longevity:

My Roadster eats tires like a seal eats fish. The rear ones don't last long at all. A car with less acceleration will be easier on tires and they'll last longer. Which saves us money and is better for the environment. Yes, it's poor consolation, but at least it's something.

And really, the non-P RWD Model 3 is no slouch. It's quicker than any "ordinary" car out there.

Why exactly does anyone who isn’t a race car driver care if the car does 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds or 3.2 seconds or 5.1 seconds? What’s the real world practical difference for any of you? The point is that the car has strong pickup regardless, and plenty of power to do the only thing anybody on this forum actually needs the car to do, which is drive on the road.

Why exactly does anyone who isn’t a race car driver care if the car does 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds or 3.2 seconds or 5.1 seconds? What’s the real world practical difference for any of you? The point is that the car has strong pickup regardless, and plenty of power to do the only thing anybody on this forum actually needs the car to do, which is drive on the road.
Confidence in passing power in the real world. So much better than my ICE car even though similar hp

Confidence in passing power in the real world. So much better than my ICE car even though similar hp

Right, but on real world roads, the difference in passing power between 5.1 and 4.5 is immaterial. In either case, the M3 has plenty of passing power to get in front of anyone you need to who isn’t driving a Bugatti like it’s their last day on earth.

Reactions: dgaultiere

It’s not so much the 0-60 sprints, rather the overall performance those numbers represent. Things like more snappy performance during at-speed pokes at the throttle, and better response to accelerator inputs in general. Everyone has a different threshold of how quick is quick enough, and there’s a point of diminishing returns once you hit that threshold. The numbers are just a way to quantify the butt dyno feeling...unless you’re using the car for competitive events.

Reactions: MagnusMako

Right, but on real world roads, the difference in passing power between 5.1 and 4.5 is immaterial. In either case, the M3 has plenty of passing power to get in front of anyone you need to who isn’t driving a Bugatti like it’s their last day on earth.

3.2 vs 5.1 is pretty significant, to me anyways.
5.1 to 4.5 may not be as much, but I’d rather have the faster car. Awd wasn’t available when I bought the rwd.

While it may not matter much to you, for a performance enthusiast it matters a lot. Neither is wrong, just different strokes for different folks. We changed our order to a AWD from RWD for that very reason, and the possibility of a performance boost down the road via $ and software.

On an ICE car, the cost to drop from say 4.5 to 3.5 0-60(if even possible) would cost way more than what Tesla charges for that kind of boost in performance with virtually no down side, and no busted knuckles(I've had my fair share) :D

You will spend over $2k for a good exhaust on a BMW or Porsche which will net you 10-20 hp which you would barely feel seat of the pants. Turbos are a bit different, but then you can run into reliability issues.

The great thing about a Tesla and its instant torque, is the rush of acceleration is a ton of fun and legal if kept within the speed limits.

• Love
Reactions: MagnusMako and TEG
The added torque isn't something I need. But driving the Roadster is a lot more exciting than driving my RWD Model 3. And the difference really is noticeable when passing on a two-land road. OTOH, it costs more to keep the Roadster in tires.

Can we kill this thread already? This was reported long ago before many people had even taken delivery. We pretty much debunked this right away and it was just people getting used to the car.

Keeping this thread alive isn’t productive for anyone...

You literally just revived it after it had been dormant for 12 days. If you want it to die, stop posting to it.