Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of slower accelleration after latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Troubling seeing reports like these:
Did Tesla just slow down our cars? | Tesla

Can anyone confirm?

I know the BMW i3 was slowed down with a software updates because too much torque was breaking engine mount bolts.

Why would tesla do it, and is it even legal? That would be like the cook at Pizza Hut coming into your house and taking the pepperoni's back. Didn't apple just get sued over something like this?

The car was spec'd by Tesla as 5.1s 0-60 but has been reported doing 4.7 or better on several occasions so they have a lot of space to slow it down without being a position where you could accuse them of doing something they would be legally liable for.

I can think of several reasons they would do this, the most obvious being that the AWD may not be much faster than it's rated 4.5s 0-60 and they don't want the RWD to be so close in performance.

If it's true I'm not happy about it but I still enjoy the car and it's still faster than almost every other car on the road. I *think* I feel a difference from a stop but I don't trust my butt dyno so I'll wait until some of the YouTubers who have done previous 0-60 runs with reliable instrumentation post updates.

I can think of several reasons they would do this, the most obvious being that the AWD may not be much faster than it's rated 4.5s 0-60 and they don't want the RWD to be so close in performance.
That's my concern. If they intentionally slowed down cheaper cars in order to make you buy more expensive ones, that's slimy behavior on par with anything the legacy automakers would do.

The car was spec'd by Tesla as 5.1s 0-60 but has been reported doing 4.7 or better on several occasions so they have a lot of space to slow it down without being a position where you could accuse them of doing something they would be legally liable for.

If it's true I'm not happy about it but I still enjoy the car and it's still faster than almost every other car on the road. I *think* I feel a difference from a stop but I don't trust my butt dyno so I'll wait until some of the YouTubers who have done previous 0-60 runs with reliable instrumentation post updates.

Tesla underrates the base models. Even the S85 is quoted at 5.2 sec, but VBOX data has it pegged at 4.9 even with low state of charge.

Intentionally degrading performance through firmware updates will get Tesla into hot water. Think back to the launch counter on the PD models. Or degraded supercharging experience on some 90 kWh packs. I don’t think Tesla wants to open another can of worms by intentionally degrading the acceleration performance of the 3. They’ll be in a lot of hot water with the owners if they do.

Can anyone confirm?

I know the BMW i3 was slowed down with a software updates because too much torque was breaking engine mount bolts.

Why would tesla do it, and is it even legal? That would be like the cook at Pizza Hut coming into your house and taking the pepperoni's back. Didn't apple just get sued over something like this?

Well, if the thread is to be taken seriously, it would seem that Tesla was adjusting motor control software and got it a bit wrong, with an earlier update and have corrected it in 18.13.

Not suggesting this, but just as a point of trivia:

There was a time when mfr's made ringers for magazine test reviews. The motorcycle or car you bought was not as quick as the magazines would report. It's not done much anymore.

It would not make sense for Tesla though on the M3LR. Potentially increased warranty costs including battery life, and metrics that were too close to the flagship models would not help money-wise. And Tesla did not release many (if any) MFR plate cars to the press for full instrumented test reviews.

You might just be seeing a change in 'abuse control' aka torque management that only affects the car at very low speeds. Actual passing performance could be identical.

Just a thought.

I haven't noticed anything.

I find it hard to believe they would gimp existing cars, regardless of reasoning. Components in these cars have margins they operate in, and they purposely do not go near their limit to make sure they don't break. If this was happening in 3's, the components would need to be replaced.

Much ado about nothing, imo.

Can anyone confirm?

I do agree that my Model 3 is slower after the update.

We have the max power and implied torque data from several months ago. Someone do a 0-60 run on the API (iOS Powertools or Android Dashboard for Tesla) and we'll lay them side by side. Personally I doubt Tesla nerfed the 3. I think owners are just getting used to their cars.

For extra credit record any performance run on the CANBus hardware. We don't have any of those.

Reactions: dgaultiere
I would have a case to not buy a car from a company that would intentionally cripple something you already paid for and own outright.
Playing devil's advocate, technically you paid for the specs, if this move was still in line with the specs you bought, saves the tire tread life and reduces wear on the newer motor/inverter combo, would that be a good thing or a bad thing in your eyes?

You wouldn't have the same feelings from the other direction, if it were slower than the specs and they updated it to be closer to the specs.

The point is moot until we get actual numbers from anyone, anyone at all.