Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of upcoming V11 fixes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well yes but that's just what we say. Phones dont have dials any more .. language of course lags technology, which was my point. When the cooling system was controlled by cables fed to the various levers etc in the dash, then it made sense to have the various defog stuff there. It makes no sense to keep it there today when that restriction has been removed. It's what psychologists call "retained behavior" .. doing something because it was once useful even though the rational for doing it has long since gone.

And I just "typed" this message, even though I'm not using a typewriter, on a "keyboard" that is composed of neither keys nor boards. :)
Here’s another one: ‘cranking’ an engine is a vestige of the days when you actually attached a crank to the camshaft to start a car.
I have 20% LTE coverage on my daily and long distance driving. I use VC whenever I can. I laugh at how wrong it gets my requests when there's spotty coverage.
yeah - how many times do the ways voice controls can fail need to be explained and that they are no substitute for a good interface?

Here’s another one: ‘cranking’ an engine is a vestige of the days when you actually attached a crank to the camshaft to start a car.

yeah - how many times do the ways voice controls can fail need to be explained and that they are no substitute for a good interface?
I guess about the same number of times it needs to be explained the car can still be driven safely even with the stupid changes in v11. Sorry couldn’t resist. 😉

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes, black cars get warmer in the winter, so probably less need for seat warmers.
Mine's MSM with black seats and it still gets frigging cold inside when I park it outside. I make a habit of turning on the heat pump and setting seat heat to high well before I get into the car because I don't enjoy shivering. The tinted glass roof is the same for every paint colour, and that does help to warm up the interior when the sun is shining. However when you're driving at night and it's minus a million degrees outside, that roof gets incredibly cold and you can feel the convective draft coming down on you.

Have you tried
Mine's MSM with black seats and it still gets frigging cold inside when I park it outside. I make a habit of turning on the heat pump and setting seat heat to high well before I get into the car because I don't enjoy shivering. The tinted glass roof is the same for every paint colour, and that does help to warm up the interior when the sun is shining. However when you're driving at night and it's minus a million degrees outside, that roof gets incredibly cold and you can feel the convective draft coming down on you.
I was referring to the black car picture, not the actual real black car

• Funny
Reactions: WattsappMTL
I've seen two references to them adding the dashcam icon to the available custom icons at the bottom as part of the latest update. I've had that button available since the original V11 version. Is there a different button being added or did someone with the new update forget it was already there in the previous version?
The new V11 dashcam icon now has two functions after 2022.4.5 (as it always should have). In park, it opens the viewer. While driving, it saves a dashcam clip. Easy peasy, Tesla - why didn't you get it right the first time?

Reactions: Darmie
so the latest update did not move the front/rear defroster to a more accessible place. On a recent trip, I determined it takes 3 touches to turn on the defroster. That is a little excessive.

Voice command is your best friend. I use it all the time.
Have you used voice command for rear defroster? I had to do it when I picked up my car after heat pump rebuild and the windows were frosted up from all the interior humidity. I didn't look out the back window before pulling away, and realized while I was driving that it was obscured. Things were a bit hectic traffic-wise, so I used VC to turn on the defroster. At that point, I would have had to wait a long time to see that the VC actually worked, because the wires heat up slowly. In order to get a visual confirmation on the screen, I had to open the climate page. Sure would have been nice to have more direct access to the defroster control and indication....

Have you used voice command for rear defroster? I had to do it when I picked up my car after heat pump rebuild and the windows were frosted up from all the interior humidity. I didn't look out the back window before pulling away, and realized while I was driving that it was obscured. Things were a bit hectic traffic-wise, so I used VC to turn on the defroster. At that point, I would have had to wait a long time to see that the VC actually worked, because the wires heat up slowly. In order to get a visual confirmation on the screen, I had to open the climate page. Sure would have been nice to have more direct access to the defroster control and indication....
There is of course the rear view camera (if the lens is clean)

Try to turn on the front defroster on a windy and covered with snow mountain road. No cell coverage in the mountain, nowhere to pull over to fumble with the controls. The only solution is to roll down the window (still physical control) and stick your head out - like a dog :)

Reactions: astrobill
I guess about the same number of times it needs to be explained the car can still be driven safely even with the stupid changes in v11. Sorry couldn’t resist. 😉
Safely, but with more distraction. I have reported one V11 issue to Transport Canada that I do believe affects safety. It's now very easy for the passenger to obscure the driving display when they tap their temperature icon. The climate page covers all adjacent traffic and the blind spot camera, and only the driver should be allowed to do that. The same thing happened with the V10 fan icon was tapped, but the passenger would have very little reason to do that.

There is of course the rear view camera (if the lens is clean)
Yes, but the perspective is way off because of the extremely wide angle lens. Side mirrors work too, although I was having a bit of trouble seeing those because of the condensation on the driver's window - which the HVAC does a lousy job of clearing.

My point was that VC are not a panacea, and although you normally get some indication of success, that was not readily available in my example.

One of my main issues with using screens for driver related functions is the propensity of UI designers to overuse it. Popping up windows and moving things around is an example of that. The driver should be able to do things intuitively, without thinking or looking at the screen to find out exactly which window is up at the moment and where the button moved since last time they created a muscle memory for it. UI design for a tablet and UI design for a deadly machine follow very, very different design principles.

Reactions: WindPower
Safely, but with more distraction. I have reported one V11 issue to Transport Canada that I do believe affects safety. It's now very easy for the passenger to obscure the driving display when they tap their temperature icon. The climate page covers all adjacent traffic and the blind spot camera, and only the driver should be allowed to do that. The same thing happened with the V10 fan icon was tapped, but the passenger would have very little reason to do that.
When you made this official complaint, I trust that you referred them to this forum to show that some people are happy with the update....just in the interests of fair play

When you made this official complaint, I trust that you referred them to this forum to show that some people are happy with the update....just in the interests of fair play
Sorry, I used all but 2 of the permitted 1000 characters so no room for alternate viewpoints. I'll let the regulators determine what is safe and what is not.

There's actually a very simple solution to the problem - just make tapping the temperature open the corresponding mini-page (now you have to change a temperature setting to do that). Open full HVAC page only with sweep up (as it is now in V11). I also contend that the passenger shouldn't be adjusting overall vehicle temperature. The temperature management function should only be active on the passenger side when controls are in split mode (which they can change from the mini-page). Driver is the captain of the ship (although the car is taking more and more of that responsibility away...)

While v11 doesn’t really bother me, I still question some of the stupid design decisions they made. One of them being the blue/grey button inconsistency. It occurred to me today that perhaps the grey means that the feature is enabled but may be on or off depending on the circumstances. For instance, the seat heater and wiper Auto buttons are grey, which maybe means they are enabled but will turn on and off when needed. The climate Auto button is blue. Maybe that’s because it’s always on and just adjusting the temperature.

Sorry if already discussed, just haven’t seen much talk around the reason. And maybe I’m completely wrong.

Always fun trying to get in the heads of these UI designers.
I've read about the blue/grey button inconsistency issue on other threads. The complaint makes sense but for some reason it never bothered me when using the UI. I sort of dug into it and I think maybe the ones denoted by grey are sub-level auto buttons within the scope of the blue auto buttons, like the grey ones are independently governed from the functions governed by the blue ones. I can't say this for sure because I really didn't spend much time going through the logic where these blue/grey buttons happens, but that's what I kind of thought was going on. Given that this never was an issue for me and I didn't really notice until I read comments on it, perhaps the way I think is closer to the Tesla people, which might make me an idiot in the minds of some people here.🤪

Reactions: whatthe2
IME, the interior matters less than the exterior. Especially with the Tesla - the majority of the surface is glass. Black interiors absorb any infrared that makes it through the glass whereas white reflects it.

Friend, in his 60s, ran a tint shop for over a decade. He claims to have a study that auto paint color isn't the major cause of heat in the cabin. It's the windows.

Quoted a study that claims only a 1.5f degree difference in cabin temp between a white car and a black car.

I'll try to have him find the study for me.