Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repository of DC fast charger information

Chuq

Jan 1, 2015
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
(This post primarily refers to non-Tesla charging infrastructure but I thought it may be of interest to many here.)

Quick intro:
  • Plugshare is the de facto reference from charging infrastructure in Australia, and serves its purpose well.
  • I recently tried using ABetterRoutePlanner (ABRP) and found that many locations were missing. I looked around their site and found that they have asked Plugshare if they could use their information, but Plugshare is a commercial entity and wants to charge a fee for access to this data. I find this particularly disappointing as a lot of the content on Plugshare was contributed by us, the general public, for free.
  • Anyway, this lead me down the path of possible alternate repositories of this information. I found a site called OpenChargeMap which is a non-profit organisation, and it's content is licensed appropriately - so others can use it. (It is one of many sources that ABRP uses).
  • I'm not suggesting replacing Plugshare, it is great for finding obscure locations such as caravan parks or 10A outlets in towns in the middle of nowhere, or showgrounds with 3-phase outlets, or people offering up their residential chargers. It's also great for recording photos and check-ins of locations so people know what to expect.
  • With EVs hitting the mainstream, "normal" people will be wanting to know which fast chargers can be used to travel certain routes across the country. My suggestion is making sure that data on all major DC fast charge networks are available in a consistent format. This might be something that major players like Tesla, Chargefox, and probably Evie (Fast Cities) will do, but other organisations such as the Queensland Government or NRMA might not have the resources, or it may not be a priority.
I've chatted with the ABRP admins on their forum and they have confirmed that they can import site data from a Google Spreadsheet without an issue. Given this is the quickest and easiest method to set up, I've gone ahead and done that.

Please take a look at: Australia fast charger locations

Note the first tab is the data (list of sites), the second tab has some further notes and comments.

rohan3au

Oct 27, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
(This post primarily refers to non-Tesla charging infrastructure but I thought it may be of interest to many here.)

Quick intro:
  • Plugshare is the de facto reference from charging infrastructure in Australia, and serves its purpose well.
  • I recently tried using ABetterRoutePlanner (ABRP) and found that many locations were missing. I looked around their site and found that they have asked Plugshare if they could use their information, but Plugshare is a commercial entity and wants to charge a fee for access to this data. I find this particularly disappointing as a lot of the content on Plugshare was contributed by us, the general public, for free.
  • Anyway, this lead me down the path of possible alternate repositories of this information. I found a site called OpenChargeMap which is a non-profit organisation, and it's content is licensed appropriately - so others can use it. (It is one of many sources that ABRP uses).
  • I'm not suggesting replacing Plugshare, it is great for finding obscure locations such as caravan parks or 10A outlets in towns in the middle of nowhere, or showgrounds with 3-phase outlets, or people offering up their residential chargers. It's also great for recording photos and check-ins of locations so people know what to expect.
  • With EVs hitting the mainstream, "normal" people will be wanting to know which fast chargers can be used to travel certain routes across the country. My suggestion is making sure that data on all major DC fast charge networks are available in a consistent format. This might be something that major players like Tesla, Chargefox, and probably Evie (Fast Cities) will do, but other organisations such as the Queensland Government or NRMA might not have the resources, or it may not be a priority.
I've chatted with the ABRP admins on their forum and they have confirmed that they can import site data from a Google Spreadsheet without an issue. Given this is the quickest and easiest method to set up, I've gone ahead and done that.

Please take a look at: Australia fast charger locations

Note the first tab is the data (list of sites), the second tab has some further notes and comments.
Not sure if it was you who created this? But it could be useful, it tracks the NRMA network. One location I noticed is active but not on your spreadsheet is Nabiac. I've generally been updating this spreadsheet when things go live or info comes out on possible locations.

NRMA Locations

Chuq

Jan 1, 2015
Not sure if it was you who created this? But it could be useful, it tracks the NRMA network. One location I noticed is active but not on your spreadsheet is Nabiac. I've generally been updating this spreadsheet when things go live or info comes out on possible locations.

NRMA Locations

Yep, that was mine! I considered updating and expanding that one but then it becomes a massive unmanageable spreadsheet that is trying to be everything to everyone. The new spreadsheet I've tried to keep it solely to the information that is of relevance to route/charge mapping, and active sites only.

Chuq

Jan 1, 2015
An update here (good news) - ABetterRoutePlanner is now importing information from the Google Sheet I linked! Try their site and use a Kona to get from Geelong to Walgett and you'll see what I mean
icon_e_smile.gif
Or try a Tesla traversing to an area that is outside of supercharger coverage, such as Emerald Qld to Balranald NSW. :)

I'm working on getting OpenChargeMap to use the same data.

raynewman

Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
An update here (good news) - ABetterRoutePlanner is now importing information from the Google Sheet I linked! Try their site and use a Kona to get from Geelong to Walgett and you'll see what I mean
icon_e_smile.gif
Or try a Tesla traversing to an area that is outside of supercharger coverage, such as Emerald Qld to Balranald NSW. :)

I'm working on getting OpenChargeMap to use the same data.
G'day, have you seen the PlugShare (beta) route planner?
How does it compare?

Chuq

Jan 1, 2015
G'day, have you seen the PlugShare (beta) route planner?
How does it compare?

Different purposes I think. ABRP lets you put start and end locations in and it works out (based on your vehicle, speed limits, elevation, etc) where you need to charge. Like the Tesla trip planner except includes public DC chargers as well.

Plugshare just highlights the locations on your route and you choose your stops yourself. Not really a route planner in itself, it's more of a side feature.

Nov 23, 2018
Gold Coast, Australia
Hoping someone can help, I often want to use a DC fast charging unit, with CHAdeMO and CCS2 connectors in Batemans Bay. Its on the NRMA EV fast charging network. Can someone let me know the best way to use this, eg. buy or borrow a CHAdeMO or can I get a CCS2 adapter? From what I have gathered its only CHAdeMO that a 2018 Model S can use at the moment? Do I need an account with NRMA? heading down there in a weeks time and don't want to get stuck waiting for some ICE car parked in the soldiers club charging bay to move. Thanks in advance.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Hoping someone can help, I often want to use a DC fast charging unit, with CHAdeMO and CCS2 connectors in Batemans Bay. Its on the NRMA EV fast charging network. Can someone let me know the best way to use this, eg. buy or borrow a CHAdeMO or can I get a CCS2 adapter? From what I have gathered its only CHAdeMO that a 2018 Model S can use at the moment? Do I need an account with NRMA? heading down there in a weeks time and don't want to get stuck waiting for some ICE car parked in the soldiers club charging bay to move. Thanks in advance.
A Tesla CHAdeMO adapter will work now and the TOCA has a loan program. I’m currently in QLD and have a TOCA CHAdeMO adapter in my boot.
When Tesla gets enough stock of CCS2 adapters that will be the better option as most of the changes are fitted to the car when you order the CCS2 adapter and the adapter itself is relatively small.

Reactions: Petergarrett38

rohan3au

Oct 27, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
CHAdeMO adapter only on Pre-2019 Model S/X unless you've had the CCS2 retrofit undertaken at Tesla Service (at a cost of approx $700). All NRMA chargers are currently free to use and don't require an app or RFID, just plug in and hit the start button!

Reactions: Petergarrett38

Techno-phile

S100D, P3D- in garage
Nov 13, 2014
Perth, Australia
If you are interested in trying to persuade the WA State government to implement their own consultant's report which recommends installing DC chargers at 200kms intervals on Main roads out of Perth, please vote for the following challenge.
It already has the most votes for any challenge, but it would assist our campaign if we could get to 500 votes.
The state government has set up this site to collect ideas for economic development post covid.

If we end up with the most votes, we can then go to our MLAs and make sure the State doesn't try to bury their own consultant's report.

Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure - iThink (WA Public Sector)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC