Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reproduceable bug that causes the main display to continuously reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend I encountered an interesting, and reproduceable bug in my Model S's software. By selecting a specific destination in the navigator and following the suggested route, I caused the main central display put itself into a continuous rebooting loop that lasted until I managed to cancel the trip. (I counted more than 30 reboots before I was able to pull over and cancel the routing.)

I was able to reproduce this bug by returning home and programming the same destination again and driving the suggested route once more. What's more amazing is that the rebooting doesn't begin immediately. It begins when I cross a specific intersection along the way. I've never seen this behavior before. I guess there's something sinister about the specific destination that I was choosing. (I promise, it wasn't a car dealership...)

This is too complicated to use the voice response bug reporting process. What would you suggest I do with this information? Would Tesla care enough to try and investigate a reproduceable bug of this severity?

Perhaps on a related note, I upgraded to firmware 2017.40.1 e29b97f last week or so and since then I've noticed some random reboots. I was working on the outside of my car this weekend with the windows down and the music playing and it would randomly reboot the entire system. I noticed because the music would stop playing so I'd look at the displays and both were dark and then the system would come back on like after a reboot. This would happen every couple of hours or so, but not predictably. I have a feeling it's this firmware causing the issue.