Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png

There seem to be some coding embedded in these bars

Two first bars are tight next to each other, then there is a small space, then next four bars are tight next to each other, then another space, and so on...

That spacing code is overlayed with the visual color code, 5 bars to the left are darker than 6 bars to the right

Are other people seeing the same pattern, or am I imagining? Maybe the bars have the same visual effects as the dress of the undetermined or unsettled color

I am very curious about that spacing code and the nuanced color code

Now that I posted a copy of Bonnie's bars, spacing code seems to be lost, but it is still visible on originals.

Some 'fun facts' about reputation points on TMC:
  • You grant reputation points to someone by clicking the little six-point star icon in the bottom-left corner of a post.
  • You can't grant reputation from the TapaTalk iOS app. :-(
  • Your grant is anonymous unless you sign the message.
  • Granting reputation doesn't affect your own reputation.
  • How much reputation you can grant is directly related to your own reputation. You can see how much rep you give by looking at your Settings; in the fourth box down on the right, the header has your "Reputation Power".
  • Corollary: if you have little or no reputation, you can still 'grant' reputation, but it doesn't increase the recipient's reputation; they'll see it as a little grey box next to your comment.
  • Each new bar requires increasingly more points to earn.
  • You can list members in order of reputation by clicking (at the top of the TMC page, second row of controls) "Community / Member List". Then click on the column header "Reputation" to sort that column in descending order.
  • Moderators and administrators are the only ones who can give negative reputation.

Some 'fun facts' about reputation points on TMC:
  • You grant reputation points to someone by clicking the little six-point star icon in the bottom-left corner of a post.
  • You can't grant reputation from the TapaTalk iOS app. :-(
  • Your grant is anonymous unless you sign the message.
  • Granting reputation doesn't affect your own reputation.
  • How much reputation you can grant is directly related to your own reputation. You can see how much rep you give by looking at your Settings; in the fourth box down on the right, the header has your "Reputation Power".
  • Corollary: if you have little or no reputation, you can still 'grant' reputation, but it doesn't increase the recipient's reputation; they'll see it as a little grey box next to your comment.
  • Each new bar requires increasingly more points to earn.
  • You can list members in order of reputation by clicking (at the top of the TMC page, second row of controls) "Community / Member List". Then click on the column header "Reputation" to sort that column in descending order.
  • Moderators and administrators are the only ones who can give negative reputation.

[*] It seems that moderators are doing something to keep their reputation high (despite what I read of them in the snippiness thread), but brianman, jerry33, and I are giving them a run for their money. :)

Excellent post, Robert.

A couple more (minor) facts:

• Unless someone signs their reputation, the recipient will not know who it came from. It's okay to give anonymous reputation, but people like to know who approved of what they said.

• Moderators are expected to sign any negative reputation that they give out, along with the reason. If you receive negative reputation, but don't know why or where it came from, please report so we can sort it out. (We had one instance a very long time ago where a member mistakenly had the ability to give negative rep & was handing it out whenever he didn't like someone's opinion. We wouldn't have known, had the recipient not complained.)

- - - Updated - - -

[*] It seems that moderators are doing something to keep their reputation high (despite what I read of them in the snippiness thread), but brianman, jerry33, and I are giving them a run for their money. :)

We have to earn it just like everyone else. :)

Moderators are expected to sign any negative reputation that they give out, along with the reason. If you receive negative reputation, but don't know why or where it came from, please report so we can sort it out.

Huh. Is there a way to go back and get a longer rep list than the most recent 5? I'm quite positive that my last negative rep was not signed, though I could guess who gave it to me.

Oh you. Stooping to this. I'm sooooooo disappointed in you.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

Huh. Is there a way to go back and get a longer rep list than the most recent 5? I'm quite positive that my last negative rep was not signed, though I could guess who gave it to me.

Not that I'm aware of, other than asking a site administrator to do some research & I'm not sure what that would entail.

Ah, but you're running into the uphill phase now....the points required to get more bricks gradually increases.

P.S. I don't think any of us are giving Bonnie a serious challenge for top spot. ;-)

I wish tapatalk allowed you to give reputation points.

So, I'm going to ask an unpopular question. What do rep points really get you? It's perhaps a tool the mods can use to help them decide what a balanced and measured response might be to an issue. But other than that.. Is it really just vanity?

I acknowledge that I'm guilty of soliciting points in the past. But lately I've been questioning the value in that endeavor :)

I wish tapatalk allowed you to give reputation points.

So, I'm going to ask an unpopular question. What do rep points really get you? It's perhaps a tool the mods can use to help them decide what a balanced and measured response might be to an issue. But other than that.. Is it really just vanity?

I acknowledge that I'm guilty of soliciting points in the past. But lately I've been questioning the value in that endeavor :)

It's an award. What does any award get you? An ego boost and maybe more respect.

(Maybe immortality if you get a 6th bar, but I wouldn't want to test it.)

It's an award. What does any award get you? An ego boost and maybe more respect.
The more points you have, the more points you give. So the more people suck up to you so that you give them points.
But of course in my experience being nice rarely ever gets you positive reputation. It's when you get into arguments with annoying <censored> <censored> that others thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

[*] It seems that moderators are doing something to keep their reputation high (despite what I read of them in the snippiness thread), but brianman, jerry33, and I are giving them a run for their money.
:smile:

We have to earn it just like everyone else. :)
Except that we all know that the moderators are in cahoots and keep giving each other constantly good reputation to rack up the points :)
(see, I told you, you only get reputation points by being controversial...)

The more points you have, the more points you give. So the more people suck up to you so that you give them points.
But of course in my experience being nice rarely ever gets you positive reputation. It's when you get into arguments with annoying <censored> <censored> that others thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

Except that we all know that the moderators are in cahoots and keep giving each other constantly good reputation to rack up the points :)

Interesting. In that case, hey- you're ugly and your mother wears army boots. You wouldn't know the difference between kW and kWh if you were tied to an electric chair and your life depended on it. :)

Well, speaking from experience ... my fellow moderators USED to give me rep points for posts they liked. Then as I acquired more points than they had, I noticed they became quite tight with that.

Of course, they'll say it's because there are no posts of mine that they like. It's just that rep points from a fellow mod have been few and far between for quite awhile. Not that we're competitive or anything.