Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I miss the rep system? Yes. Nor do I think it should have been a clean sweep. But it appears it was. And as I said to one of you in the last day, talking about how much rep I could give out was not at the top of my list at parties. My friends would look at me like I lost my mind. :)

Yes, I think we're losing some data and that data should have been just as protected as posts and links. It should have been given the same care in the platform transfer as any other data. It was a reward system for members who have added value to this forum. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because I don't believe I've written a post thinking, 'This will get me rep!'. I've written my opinion. Getting points from my fellow forum members has been a welcome bonus in the past.
And I just thought it was all about the pony. Oh well...

Sadly, this was also used to send anonymous insults.

No wonder I got so much rep.

Seriously, though.. that never occurred to me. What irony to give rep only to insult someone.

Was it really abused that much? I seem to remember a few cases, but only a handful. Did that change? (My personal experience has been that no one has had a problem insulting me publicly :), so hearing that this was a problem is a surprise.)

I don't hate the new design, but I do fumble about with it quite a bit. I have trouble finding threads I'm looking for, and reading posts I'm interested in. I think there's a few reasons for it:
  1. Why do threads with multiple pages have their page counts hidden until you hover over them? That is maddening. It was an easy way to differentiate new threads from long-running ones.
  2. Stickied threads and normal threads are practically indistinguishable, and the slightly wider white bar doesn't provide enough differentiation to determine where normal threads start.
  3. The avatars seem overly-giant to the point of distraction
Thanks for the input. Will be looking into these.

Was it really abused that much? I seem to remember a few cases, but only a handful. Did that change? (My personal experience has been that no one has had a problem insulting me publicly :), so hearing that this was a problem is a surprise.)

It happened to me somewhat frequently. When I would warn others of a dangerous charging installation (say, someone who posted that it's just fine to leave a neutral unconnected on a 14-50), I'd get negative rep hits ("I can do what I want!"). While I didn't debate the "I can do what I want" point, I wanted to make sure that others understood how dangerous it was.

It happened to me somewhat frequently. When I would warn others of a dangerous charging installation (say, someone who posted that it's just fine to leave a neutral unconnected on a 14-50), I'd get negative rep hits ("I can do what I want!"). While I didn't debate the "I can do what I want" point, I wanted to make sure that others understood how dangerous it was.

That was when folks could give negative rep. I think doug was saying that people would give positive rep, but as a way to give anonymous negative feedback in the comment line. And I was asking if that really happened very often.

That was when folks could give negative rep. I think doug was saying that people would give positive rep, but as a way to give anonymous negative feedback in the comment line. And I was asking if that really happened very often.

Oh, never to me. Even if they did, I'd be happy knowing that they donated to the green bar & pony fund.

• Funny
Reactions: AnOutsider
existing rep because it was easily saturated and people tended to reward drama nearly as much as quality. My call.

Brave call, glad you made it, as the old rep system was becoming a bit unhinged. The name was inadequate, it would be more fitting to call it popularity points or similar. People gave points for all sorts of reasons.

Contributors in polarized heated topics had a greater chance of giving and receiving points. Such topics attracted traffic, including high rep power members presence and that skewed the rep points distribution to polarized content and drama.

I have concerns about assigning any visual comparative metrics to TMC members and giving that metric some name that signifies qualitative value, like reputation. Equating accumulated votes on the anonymous forum to any qualitative metric is likely to be incorrect. It might be better to call it what it is, something from the fun and games repertoire. My opinion, but not my call.

My view is that if Elon Musk posted his views on TMC incognito, he would be unlikely to garner many votes, or at least, he perhaps would not make it to top group.

There were times I'd spent a lot of thought and time putting together a post that garnered zero rep, and times that I made an off-the-cuff three word joke that got lots of rep. So yeah, it did have a weird dynamic at times. I applaud the efforts to make it transparent, as I think additional accountability will reign in some of the "drama" stuff.

One thing I'll miss is the ability to send (or receive) a short rep note to let the contributor know why you were moved by the post.

That was my favorite feature, I miss that as well, perhaps even more than my vanity bars. Sending unsolicited email is a bit intrusive, too big hurdle to cross to give feedback on a single post.

Last edited:
Yes but Auzies saying he wouldn't earn a lot of reputation points in the old system (better called popularity contest points). I agree.

In some threads, the arguments are sometimes won on the back of being 'popular' ie having many green bars, rather than on the merits of knowledge and facts. New members are sometimes shouted down on the back of being new members.

Afaik seniority (time-based) and popularity are not valid arguments in technical discussions.