Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it really abused that much? I seem to remember a few cases, but only a handful. Did that change? (My personal experience has been that no one has had a problem insulting me publicly :), so hearing that this was a problem is a surprise.)

Oh, never to me. Even if they did, I'd be happy knowing that they donated to the green bar & pony fund.

Exactly!

While no one ever gave me rep points while simultaneously anonymously insulting me, if they had, I would have found it amusing. It would have been like someone trying to physically hurt me by throwing wadded up dollar bills at me. OK. Go for it!

My sense is that if there were any significant instances of this anonymity really being abused to harass someone, the mods or admins could have, I'm guessing, tracked the activity and put a quick stop to it. The positives, on the other hand, that came from the nice, positive, sometimes anonymous, but often signed notes were always a day-brightener, if only for a moment.

The positives, on the other hand, that came from the nice, positive, sometimes anonymous, but often signed notes were always a day-brightener, if only for a moment.

I think the current "Like", "Helpful", "Informative" etc. tags could fill that function of spice or as you say "day brightener" but it would ne nice if you could have the option to sign your given likes et. al. with a short private note.

Auzie I don't think there are absolutes. There are many members whose rep came from being helpful, informative, and or entertaining. I think there are a few who earned them by stoking controversy. A few. And all of us frequent readers know who they are.

Auzie I don't think there are absolutes. There are many members whose rep came from being helpful, informative, and or entertaining. I think there are a few who earned them by stoking controversy. A few. And all of us frequent readers know who they are.

I hope I did not come across as speaking in absolute terms, if that is the case I will clarify.

My observation is that people used to award points for all sorts of reasons, inclusive of being helpful, informative and/or entertaining. There were many other reasons that would move people to click and award points.

My point in my previous post was that the odds of getting points awarded were much higher in the high traffic controversial click bait threads, due to higher emotions in such threads and due to the higher pool of points being available to be given in such threads.

In my view, the old system had some value but I did not see it as a useful visual tool that signalled members credibility or reputation. The features of the old rep system that I valued were: it was fun and enjoyable to use and there was a way to give personal feedback to a post that moved me to do so.

Some people may see this differently, I am fine with differences and disagreements.

The new helpful, informative, like, dislike, funny, love should work well. I would like to see the aggregate totals visible on the user's profile somewhere, as well as summarised just under the avatar next to each post he's penned (Joined, Messages, Reputation, Location).

I do miss the ability to add a quick comment along with your opinion. That fell between a public comment, and a private PM, and worked well.

• Love
Reactions: Andyw2100
I was this close to my 6th green bar. Apparently, I'm entertaining.

I'm just a tiny bit sad they're gone, but it wasn't a surprise... I recall Doug telling us this many times. Yes, I enjoyed the comments that came with rep, but like all changes in life, I will adjust. My TMC buddies will relish in being able to see what category I get the most, though. They used to get so mad when I'd get another green bar, "I wrote that incredibly detailed and helpful post, and got nothing. You posted something ridiculous like grilled cheesus and got another green bar!" Oh, I will miss rep!

• Funny
I had my list of complaints for the old system, too - people who came to the board for the first time after ordering their car had no reputation power, so when a post helped them understand expectations, or helped them with their charging set up, etc. they couldn't affect the reputation of other members. I can't count the number of times I saw a little gray bar instead of a green bar in my rep.

To Auzie's point: I don't think anyone is suggesting the old system was an end-all, be-all indicator. But when there was a heated thread, and someone showed up with a single green bar and took a dump in the thread before zooming off, we knew how much weight to give it. If someone with 11 bars posted a controversial opinion, I was more willing to entertain it. It's a starting point, and it worked well.

• Love
I agree with that, as should everyone, because of my seniority and popularity :)

We are not really having any technical discussion here. We are having a discussion about rep system that is capturing some social metrics, so your argument leverage with your popularity and seniority is quite well placed. I agree with you:)

Last edited:
I actually like the new system it is like Facebook's new icons. I look forward to getting some kind of visual queue near people's names as they post since it is nice to see people who are more well respected around the forums.

I too liked the note system from before, as it really made me feel great about posting something that took a decent amount of time to write-up on a subject and see someone with large rep come in and give rep and drop a note. It influenced me to try and post better quality and I loved that aspect of it.

Sooo with the dislikes, is there a threshold on this where you can dislike something into the abyss? Cause that would be great, especially with some of the fights that have broken out, just have us dislike something away...

Reactions: Footbag and Auzie
I was this close to my 6th green bar. Apparently, I'm entertaining.

I'm just a tiny bit sad they're gone, but it wasn't a surprise... I recall Doug telling us this many times. Yes, I enjoyed the comments that came with rep, but like all changes in life, I will adjust. My TMC buddies will relish in being able to see what category I get the most, though. They used to get so mad when I'd get another green bar, "I wrote that incredibly detailed and helpful post, and got nothing. You posted something ridiculous like grilled cheesus and got another green bar!" Oh, I will miss rep!
It wasn't grilled cheesus, it was Toonces! And it only took me 20 minutes to find this post. Grr.

Cat stuck/rescued from Tesla Model S motor

For those who wanted some permanent record of their little green bars, here's a screenshot of first two pages of those with the most Reputation points. Feel free to print out and and stick to your refrigerator.

Reputation1.PNG
Reputation2.PNG