Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Req. recommendation: Electrician in Novi/Canton Michigan area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, I am looking for an Electrician recommendation in the Novi/Canton Michigan area. I am in the market to buy a Model 3 LR.

If anyone has idea on expected cost of installation for a standard 240V, NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage with the following conditions, please let me know:

1. House has 100AMP electrical service
2. Re-arranging overloaded panel in the fuse box
3. The new outlet installation will be right next to the fuse box in the garage

Thank you.

I’m also in Novi. We contracted Dan Wood for installation. Unless you also plan to charge a car which is not a Tesla I would install a Tesla charger rather than a regular charger. Tesla charger is cheaper and charges faster. Best you don’t need to plug in an adapter every time you want to charge. I have 100A connection for the charger and the Tesla charger would support 80A. Tesla discontinued the 72A Tesla’s a while ago. All Tesla’s now charge at 48A max unless supercharging as far as I know. You might also think about getting a second meter installed for cheaper rates. Price also depends on length of cable needed.

I’m also in Novi. We contracted Dan Wood for installation. Unless you also plan to charge a car which is not a Tesla I would install a Tesla charger rather than a regular charger. Tesla charger is cheaper and charges faster. Best you don’t need to plug in an adapter every time you want to charge. I have 100A connection for the charger and the Tesla charger would support 80A. Tesla discontinued the 72A Tesla’s a while ago. All Tesla’s now charge at 48A max unless supercharging as far as I know. You might also think about getting a second meter installed for cheaper rates. Price also depends on length of cable needed.

I’m about to take delivery of my M3 too and was wondering if you don’t mind sharing roughly how much Dan wood was charging and how their work quality was? Thanks!

I’m about to take delivery of my M3 too and was wondering if you don’t mind sharing roughly how much Dan wood was charging and how their work quality was? Thanks!

Thank you mhinterseher for referring Dan.

In my case, the new NEMA 14-50R installation was in the garage and right below the fuse box. Note that our installation is very simple: 2 tandem breakers to make room for a new 50A breaker and cut in for a 2 gang box and the NEMA 14-50R. I contacted the following:

Vedder Electric, Ann Arbor: out of area
Dan Wood, Novi, MI: $475
Oak Electric Service, Waterford, MI: no call back
McGuire Electric Inc.: Not taking orders (too busy)
Hoover Electric, Plumbing, Heating And Cooling: costs to get estimate
Family Heating, Cooling and Electric: $175
DESCO Electrical LLC: $350
Michigan Quality Electric: no call back
fullcircuitelectric: no call back

I finally went with Family Heating, Cooling and Electric and scheduled for installation in a couple of weeks. "Family Heating, Cooling and Electric" was referred to us by our realtor.

• Informative
Reactions: eghead
If you guys are paying someone to install EV-related electrics, look into DTE's $500 credit for a purchase/install of a L2 charging station (Juicebox and another one). Those list for $550ish, and you're already paying for an electrician anyway, so you get a decent-ish home charging station almost free (DTE would get your use data though).

How was danwood, please advise

I went with Danwood, , I got my 240V outlet installed from Danwood (https://www.danwoodplumbingheating.com/)... Billy, Brad and Julia did a fantastic job... perfect! They also mounted the charger...they were very flexible and made sure I understood what they were doing. Do reach out to them if you need any electrical work - Brad 248-348-4242. Enjoy your EV! #electrical, #electrician,
electrician
👊

I went with Danwood, , I got my 240V outlet installed from Danwood (https://www.danwoodplumbingheating.com/)... Billy, Brad and Julia did a fantastic job... perfect! They also mounted the charger...they were very flexible and made sure I understood what they were doing. Do reach out to them if you need any electrical work - Brad 248-348-4242. Enjoy your EV! #electrical, #electrician,
electrician
👊
I will ask for a referral bonus next time 🤪