Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request a delayed delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who has purchased a Tesla after being put on a waiting list know if it's possible to volunteer to have your own car delayed?

This probably only applies to people like me who are just barely going to be able to afford this vehicle, but when it was announced that I would likely see my car 6 months sooner than normal, it actually gave me some pause because that's now 6 months less I have to save.

I wonder if it's possible to volunteer to drop 50,000 places or so in line, or maybe just ask for a 6 month delay or something. Because I certainly don't want to have to drop ALL the way to the back of the line by withdrawing my reservation.

Anyone know? Or can figure a guess?

Anyone who has purchased a Tesla after being put on a waiting list know if it's possible to volunteer to have your own car delayed?

This probably only applies to people like me who are just barely going to be able to afford this vehicle, but when it was announced that I would likely see my car 6 months sooner than normal, it actually gave me some pause because that's now 6 months less I have to save.

I wonder if it's possible to volunteer to drop 50,000 places or so in line, or maybe just ask for a 6 month delay or something. Because I certainly don't want to have to drop ALL the way to the back of the line by withdrawing my reservation.

You are allowed to delay yourself when they are requesting that you finalize your order.

I did this in 2013 for our S as I wanted to take delivery later in the year, originally we were set to take delivery February 2013 and we delayed to November 2013...

I did not want to have to wait too long for Federal Tax Credit.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and garsh
You are allowed to delay yourself when they are requesting that you finalize your order.

I did this in 2013 for our S as I wanted to take delivery later in the year, originally we were set to take delivery February 2013 and we delayed to November 2013...

I did not want to have to wait too long for Federal Tax Credit.

So did you pick any month and year that you wanted? Or did you pick an exact date? Or did you choose from options of like "3 mo, 6 mo, 9 mo" or something?

Just a thought.... If you are one of the first to get a M3. It may be worth trying to buy it out right and resell at a slightly higher price to someone who just can't wait a year or two... or three.

As long as I'm approved for credit and have a decent down payment I'm fine. I wanted to have as much cash as possible but it looks like that's not going to happen with forum members suggesting awesome things like Xpel and Opticoat... now I need extra cash on hand right when I get the car to get that stuff put on right away before any possible paint damage.

If I'm going to get the performance version I might as well get ludicrous because why not... I live where it's cold so it looks like I'm getting the winter stuff, I like music so it looks like I'm getting the upgraded sound. The fiance demands the pano roof... so pretty much it's going to cost me an arm and a leg... possibly a kidney.

My biggest fear is that I won't be approved because I plan on buying a house within a few months of the expected Tesla timeline.

Reactions: Lunarx
Right, but you said you set your "delivery date" to November. Doesn't that mean you TOOK DELIVERY in November? I would set mine to take delivery in the last month still eligible for the $7500 credit. The building process should begin prior to that, no?
I set my delivery date using the 2 month production window, so order finalized September for November delivery. My deposit was non refundable on September.