TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Request a delayed delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JoeCoolMan24, May 13, 2016.

1. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

Anyone who has purchased a Tesla after being put on a waiting list know if it's possible to volunteer to have your own car delayed?

This probably only applies to people like me who are just barely going to be able to afford this vehicle, but when it was announced that I would likely see my car 6 months sooner than normal, it actually gave me some pause because that's now 6 months less I have to save.

I wonder if it's possible to volunteer to drop 50,000 places or so in line, or maybe just ask for a 6 month delay or something. Because I certainly don't want to have to drop ALL the way to the back of the line by withdrawing my reservation.

Anyone know? Or can figure a guess?

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You are allowed to delay yourself when they are requesting that you finalize your order.

I did this in 2013 for our S as I wanted to take delivery later in the year, originally we were set to take delivery February 2013 and we delayed to November 2013...

I did not want to have to wait too long for Federal Tax Credit.

• Informative x 2
  3. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

So did you pick any month and year that you wanted? Or did you pick an exact date? Or did you choose from options of like "3 mo, 6 mo, 9 mo" or something?

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

It's been a few years, I think I was told the delay for a standard S at the time was going to be 2 months, so we finalized order in September to get delivery in November...

5. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

Just a thought.... If you are one of the first to get a M3. It may be worth trying to buy it out right and resell at a slightly higher price to someone who just can't wait a year or two... or three.

6. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

You should probably ask this in one of the other forum areas. Maybe the model X guys have done this....?

7. thebigbobowski

I also thought I'd have another six months or so to save, and I could really use the extra time. But I'm not planning on delaying since it could quite possibly mean a smaller tax credit if I do. I guess we'll see how things are shaping up when it comes time to place my order.

8. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

As long as I'm approved for credit and have a decent down payment I'm fine. I wanted to have as much cash as possible but it looks like that's not going to happen with forum members suggesting awesome things like Xpel and Opticoat... now I need extra cash on hand right when I get the car to get that stuff put on right away before any possible paint damage.

If I'm going to get the performance version I might as well get ludicrous because why not... I live where it's cold so it looks like I'm getting the winter stuff, I like music so it looks like I'm getting the upgraded sound. The fiance demands the pano roof... so pretty much it's going to cost me an arm and a leg... possibly a kidney.

My biggest fear is that I won't be approved because I plan on buying a house within a few months of the expected Tesla timeline.

• Like x 1
  9. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

Yeah, the tax credit would be the only thing that would kind of worry me about taking a delay. But if the credit has an exact cut off date, I would take deliver right at that cutoff then.

10. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Remember that Tesla is bespoke, and you have to budget in the build time...

11. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

Right, but you said you set your "delivery date" to November. Doesn't that mean you TOOK DELIVERY in November? I would set mine to take delivery in the last month still eligible for the $7500 credit. The building process should begin prior to that, no?

12. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I set my delivery date using the 2 month production window, so order finalized September for November delivery. My deposit was non refundable on September.