TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Request: Detailed LED Headlight Pictures/Review

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ratsbew, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I haven't seen much on the LED headlights. I'd love to see pictures and especially video of them.

2. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Unlike Model S, they do project a pattern on the road close to the vehicle. It is not the smooth, solid light across the road surface that has been a hallmark of Model S excellence.

3. Touring

Touring Member

Are you serious? The lights are the weakest part of the Model S.

4. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I'm more interested in the tech and design than the actual lighting, but of course that's important too.

5. Gary and Rachel

Did they do this sporting effect to help the autopilot camera to see the lines in the road better at night and bad weather?

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Touring: "Are you serious? The lights are the weakest part of the Model S."

I am more happy with my MS headlights than I thought I would be. Please elaborate on their weakness. I'm curious and want to hear your thoughts.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I find the S Xenon headlights to be quite good. No complaints
    I have looked at the X LED headlights up close but have not seen them in operation at night. I hear they are outstanding and I love the idea that they turn when the car is turning.

8. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

I want neon lights! Neon3.jpg
    So I can see the ground when I step out of the car.:wink:

9. DJung

DJung Member

I think the Xenon headlights on Model S do a fine job, but the cornering lights leave something to be desired. I was hoping that the LED headlights on Model X would have improved the overall lighting situation, especially with the turning lights. Hopefully that is indeed the case.

10. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

European spec Model S have less powerful Xenon lights compared to US spec.
    IIRC 25W in lieu of 35W per bulb.
    Not sure if is it a simple DIY job to swap them for the more powerful ones, or even LED replacement D2S bulbs.

11. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

Do the Model S/X lights turn with the car? I know that some Lexus cars have lights that turn independently of the car.

12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Not exactly. The way I understand that they work is that there is a separate LED pointed "around" the corner that lights up when sensors in the steering wheel sense you are turning.

Oh yeah, and it's only a Premium Upgrade Package thing...

- Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility.

13. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

If you mean they are "weakest" design-wise, I totally agree.

14. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

On the Lexus they seem to smoothly turn with the wheel and don't suddenly turn on.

15. Vizir

Vizir Member

The 2014+ Mazda's also have headlights which turn with the steering wheel. IMO fixed LEDs which turn on will be more reliable than a turning mechanism which has several moving parts.

16. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

In theory yes it would be, but my Lexus they have always worked perfectly, but maybe Tesla wants to keep the number of moving parts down which is fine by me.

17. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

#17 int32_t, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

Any lights are better than the lights on a Honda ... I've seen the pattern for the Model S and it looks good to me.

This video isn't a close-up exactly, but clearly shows the three-position turning lights (brilliant, no moving parts!) and all the other individually-controlled exterior lights.
    Merry Model X-mas - YouTube

18. Nismode

Nismode Member

The low beam projectors for the Acura TSX and Honda S2000 are some of the best in the industry for single xenon use. The Acura TL bi-xenon projectors are just as good.

19. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Okay, let me clarify ... the car I mean is an Accord which predates projector headlamps, so it's just halogen. Sometimes you can't tell the headlights are on and try to turn them on again! :biggrin:

Fair warning: the following is a pet peeve of mine. :wink:
    I'm all for LED headlights as long as they're aimed properly, just like any headlight should be. I have yet to see well-aimed LED headlights (and many projector beams are aimed far too high as well), so I hope the Model X is different. Escalades, Acuras, etc with LEDs have so-so to very poor aim depending on the vehicle. The best-aimed projector beams (non-LED) I have seen are on Mercedes vehicles. I can't comment on the Model S because I haven't seen one parked on a level surface in the dark while facing an object/wall.

Regarding LED headlights, I saw this in Popular Mechanics (May 2015):

The problem is not the number of discrete elements, nor is it the brightness. The problem is the aim! If you can can see into the rear windshield of the car in front of you, there is something wrong.

Additional request: in addition to a detailed close-up photo of the X's headlights, could we have a photo of the beam pattern (low and high) on a garage wall or something? I'm curious to see how these lights stack up against the competition. Where's Bonnie when we need her? :confused: :smile:

20. Gary and Rachel