TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Request for Auto-steer feature "manual lane-changing without chime".

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by JP68, Apr 14, 2017.

1. JP68

JP68 Member

That's not true, I started this thread bases on an AP1 car, and AP1 will not initiate (fully automatic) lane change.
    It's only 'automatic' changing lanes when the driver initiates it by using the blinker.
    And that is not robust enough in less then ideal conditions.

Based on this tip in April, I indeed learned not to apply pressure on the wheel (which was based on an instruction from a Tesla sales guy..)
    In low traffic conditions, I'm more patient now to wait for auto lane change (after starting my blinker).
    So I do have less annoying chimes.

Plus I learned which situations can't be handled by the system, and leave it on ACC, not autosteer.

To prevent a crash?? The car will leave so much space a truck will fit in.. In heavy traffic it's just slowing down too quickly, leaving way too much space. But I simply override it with my accelerator.