Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for "Delay Air Conditioning Start for 30 seconds"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what anyone else things of this or if this happens to them. I park my Model Y in my garage every evening. It may so be the case that for various reasons I have to go to the car to get something. I forgot my wallet. I forgot my glasses. I forgot XYZ. Or you need to quickly get something from the car. Or I need to change charge settings for the next morning.

Now, every time I open the door *immediately* the AC starts and whatever is needed for that. The AC Compressor, everything else needed to start the HVAC. Now on a typical night I may go back to the car anywhere from 0 to 3-4 times. Usually only once or twice. But that is 1-4 times those systems are starting up for basically no reason. I can't imagine that hard start/stop for a very short period of time is good for any system.

So, it would be nice to have a feature "Delay AC (or HVAC) from starting for x seconds if car parked at Home Location" or something similar. This would, over time, massively reduce these unnecessary start/stops of the AC/HVAC systems. Sure, I could turn off AC before leaving the car, but who does that?

Has anyone else thought of this? And is there a setting for it somewhere I misssed? What's the best way to get it to Elon's attention?

Darren

Reactions: driver7
Now on a typical night I may go back to the car anywhere from 0 to 3-4 times. Usually only once or twice. But that is 1-4 times those systems are starting up for basically no reason.
Maybe I am the odd man out, but this seems unusual to me. I go in my car when I want to drive it, otherwise it happily sits in my garage untouched.

Your idea makes sense, I just wonder how many people will actually benefit from this.

I was wondering what anyone else things of this or if this happens to them. I park my Model Y in my garage every evening. It may so be the case that for various reasons I have to go to the car to get something. I forgot my wallet. I forgot my glasses. I forgot XYZ. Or you need to quickly get something from the car. Or I need to change charge settings for the next morning.

Now, every time I open the door *immediately* the AC starts and whatever is needed for that. The AC Compressor, everything else needed to start the HVAC. Now on a typical night I may go back to the car anywhere from 0 to 3-4 times. Usually only once or twice. But that is 1-4 times those systems are starting up for basically no reason. I can't imagine that hard start/stop for a very short period of time is good for any system.

So, it would be nice to have a feature "Delay AC (or HVAC) from starting for x seconds if car parked at Home Location" or something similar. This would, over time, massively reduce these unnecessary start/stops of the AC/HVAC systems. Sure, I could turn off AC before leaving the car, but who does that?

Has anyone else thought of this? And is there a setting for it somewhere I misssed? What's the best way to get it to Elon's attention?

Darren

I understand what you are saying, and generally think that more options / choice is good. With that being said, because of what I do in my day job (which deals with IT support), I cant help but look at things from that perspective.

For every single person like you who wants a setting like this, there would probably be (to use a completely made up number) 5 people who somehow turned this on, and thought their car was broken because the AC did not kick on when they got in the car (and the associated service center service requests in the app).

I dont think its saving much of anything, either, other than start up of AC compressor. The car is either already awake, or being woken up by you entering it, so everything else already is kicking on (screen, etc) in preparation for a drive.

The number of people who would be concerned about what you are concerned about is likely not zero, but would almost certainly be outweighed by the people who complained that their car didnt turn on the AC when they got in, so took even longer to cool down than they expected.