Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for Enhancement: Pedestrian Horn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original post was about making this an option on the Model S for people that wanted to use it. Why this turned into a government forcing me to do something thread is tough to understand. I think the idea is good and no one would be forced to use it. Want to wait behind the person until the notice you? You can do that. Want to honk your honk and scare them? Can do that too.

The original post was about making this an option on the Model S for people that wanted to use it. Why this turned into a government forcing me to do something thread is tough to understand.
I suspect some of the transition in discussion is due to a feeling that many of us (me included) have is that as soon as some politician hears about such a capability it will likely transition to a mandate pretty quickly. Paranoia perhaps, but not completely unfounded.

Regardless, sorry if I contributed to bending the discussion it off-topic.

I suspect some of the transition in discussion is due to a feeling that many of us (me included) have is that as soon as some politician hears about such a capability it will likely transition to a mandate pretty quickly. Paranoia perhaps, but not completely unfounded.

No problem. Even if this was a mandate you wouldn't have to use it.

I think the ability to gentle nudge pedestrians without having to roll down your window and yell or crank the stereo might be a useful feature.

The mandate is that it will make noise all the time under a certain speed. The problem is that it won't be on all cars that are quiet--and this includes most modern cars--only the "funny" ones.
Now who's going off-topic? ;)

I believe dsm and I were talking about mandates generally and "noisy flashers" as a potential additional one, not about the low-speed mandate already in the political sphere.

Yeah. I am definitely against the mandated low noise generator. I like the idea of the optional pedestrian horn as a way for Tesla to address this probably fictional problem and I think it would actually be useful as well.

How about a pedestrian horn that imitates the sounds of an automatic assault weapon? Let's see how quickly they get out of the way! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
And just the mention of stuff like this is why mandates will require manufacturer-provided sounds that are limited to boring and/or awful for business protection purposes.

Just because you're paranoia doesn't mean they're not after you.

An inexpensive piezo sound horn could be mounted somewhere anywhere, just so it projects to the outdoors. Wire this horn to one of the stereo channels. Then someone needs to create an app that would show a Jim Cramer style soundboard on 17in screen with say, half dozen sound choices. You would hit the one you want and the sound would fill the car as well as be projected outside. Of course if you already had sounds playing, then *that* would be broadcasting constantly as you drive so the app would be just for special situations.
--

Quieter Horn?

Especially here in Metro Tokyo I regularly see pedestrians only three feet from my Model S, and of course they don't notice me because of no sound.

Are there any remote bell-like devices for bicycles?

Is the Model S horn sound software controlled so it's possible to change sound to much less obtrusive one, with a push of different button on the steering?

I think that's a great idea. A pedestrian horn. As you probably know, at least in the US, there are people who strongly advocate that EVs and hybrids should be mandated to include a noise maker of some sort when traveling at low speeds. Most EV advocates are strongly against that because much of the appeal of EVs is the distinct lack of noise and the environmental benefits thereof. But I tend to agree with you, I'd love the option of some sort of subtle pedestrian horn that I could use as needed. Sometimes, particularly in parking garages, pedestrians will be walking, maybe distracted by a phone and I follow behind them for quite a ways before they notice me (usually being startled by the fact that I'm there). However, I'm not aware of any sort of aftermarket product that meets that specific purpose. It would be nice if it were an OEM feature.

A softer pedestrian horn is an oft requested feature that Tesla should really implement. It's something the EV1 had and I believe the Volt has as well.

He's someone's solution: Pedestrian Horn
Wow he actually DIY'ed it! That's exactly what I wanted.

I think that's a great idea. A pedestrian horn. As you probably know, at least in the US, there are people who strongly advocate that EVs and hybrids should be mandated to include a noise maker of some sort when traveling at low speeds. Most EV advocates are strongly against that because much of the appeal of EVs is the distinct lack of noise and the environmental benefits thereof. But I tend to agree with you, I'd love the option of some sort of subtle pedestrian horn that I could use as needed. Sometimes, particularly in parking garages, pedestrians will be walking, maybe distracted by a phone and I follow behind them for quite a ways before they notice me (usually being startled by the fact that I'm there). However, I'm not aware of any sort of aftermarket product that meets that specific purpose. It would be nice if it were an OEM feature.
I found the discussion you pointed out on the other thread after I created this thread. Yes in Japan some people want that continuous sound mandatory but it is noisy at night and spoils EV's quietness.
And thank you for the info that there's no such ready-made product yet.

Hinted by your posts and other threads in have searched "mp3 wireless doorbell", which gave me this.
MP3 DJ Doorbell - Customizable Wireless Music Doorbell with Built-in 2GB Memory
Looks interesting?

EDIT: The above product seems to have quality issues. Instead I ordered this from Amazon UK (couldn't find on Ebay or Amazon in the US).
mip-doorchimes Digital Mp3 Door Chime

Last edited: