Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for info on SR (NOT SR+) 2020 Range & Constant Info (and a 2019 datapoint for reference)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Up until today I didn't realize there were any SR vehicles sold in 2020 model year (or in 2020 in general). But, it seems that there have been. I am not talking about the SR+ - obviously those have been sold this year.

For range/constant documentation, for anyone who has an SR (not SR+), which is a 2020 model:

1) What was the initial range in rated miles @ 100% when new, indicated? (It looks like it should be 220 miles based on fueleconomy.gov...2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range)

2) If you have any TeslaFi or Stats historical data for projected rated range as the car has aged, would it be possible to post screen captures?

3) Please state the date of purchase/door pillar info.

4) If you bought the 2020 SR at end of 2019, please indicate whether you ever got a "range update" or any other software update.

The issue here that is weird to me is that we have a screen capture of the Energy Consumption screen from an SR 2020 showing the constant is 210Wh/rmi now. If the rated range when new is 220 miles, that would imply just 46.2kWh of usable capacity including the buffer.

But Tesla extracted 50.2kWh from this vehicle in their testing (in 2019)!

So that doesn't align - it's not even remotely close as compared to other vehicles. Just trying to figure out what is happening/has happened. There are a couple possibilities, but wanted to see what the data suggest.

Also, an SR 2019 owner can help here:

If you have a 2019 SR (not SR+), can you capture a picture of the energy consumption screen, capturing:

First, Set Energy display to DISTANCE (NOT ENERGY), then capture, at a high SoC (greater than 80%, ideally 100% but it doesn't need to be):

1) Rated miles remaining:
2) The Energy Consumption graph showing: Projected range, and the recent consumption number (last x miles average)

So three numbers should be visible in the picture: Rated miles remaining, projected range, and recent consumption. And it has to be at an SoC > 80%.

The idea here with the 2019 data is to confirm that the constant on the SR 2019 is still 219Wh/rmi. Just wanted to confirm that is what it has always been (this is what I would expect; the constant typically does not change except in special cases).

Hi I got a 2020 SR picked up December 14th. I guess the rated range was 220, I never saw anything official from Tesla. My rated range is 203 right now according to stats app. I get normal software updates. Nothing ever changed with the range. It’s what $2990 or something like that now for the + version. I would just buy that if I was buying now.
I have asked a couple time about upgrade to a + cost no one in Cleveland or Columbus know what it is. Although I have heard of people doing it.

Attachments

• 07A7EC6A-C4BF-4B62-8131-38B090337DCD.jpeg
    07A7EC6A-C4BF-4B62-8131-38B090337DCD.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 129
Hi I got a 2020 SR picked up December 14th. I guess the rated range was 220, I never saw anything official from Tesla. My rated range is 203 right now according to stats app. I get normal software updates. Nothing ever changed with the range. It’s what $2990 or something like that now for the + version. I would just buy that if I was buying now.
I have asked a couple time about upgrade to a + cost no one in Cleveland or Columbus know what it is. Although I have heard of people doing it.

Thanks for the info. Definitely seems like it started around 220. And it looks like it relatively quickly started losing capacity (would not have expected that if they had artificially hidden extra capacity above that 220rmi*209Wh/rmi = 46kWh threshold).

8-10% degradation seems abnormal in a 6-18mo timespan...

It’s on the high side at 12-18 months but it certainly is not abnormal. Within 3 sigma as far as I can tell. That much in 6 months would be somewhat unusual (but depends on mileage!). Anyway, that is a discussion for the other thread!

12000 miles is like 18k miles on a LR, in just 9 months. Lots of miles. So that level of loss for @JDT1 is definitely on the high side, but also quite normal, I would say.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It’s on the high side at 12-18 months but it certainly is not abnormal. Within 3 sigma as far as I can tell. That much in 6 months would be somewhat unusual (but depends on mileage!). Anyway, that is a discussion for the other thread!

12000 miles is like 18k miles on a LR, in just 9 months. Lots of miles. So that level of loss for @JDT1 is definitely on the high side, but also quite normal, I would say.
Is it possible however that barring poor chemistry they could regain use of some of the pack by performing a proper “re-imaging” for the BMS to work off of?

I have always charged mine to 90%. Unless I was going on a longer drive. Should I just charge to 100 all the time. The car was giving me warning messages about over charging. Thanks.

I think the consensus here is that it's probably fine for an SR all the time (it's like setting 92-93% SoC on an SR+ all the time). You might even want to do it a couple times to see if it has any impact on your rated miles (I doubt it will).

But personally I'd just stick with 90% and set it to 95-100% whenever I needed it. If you need it to get through your day easily, then set it to 100% and don't worry about it.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Up until today I didn't realize there were any SR vehicles sold in 2020 model year (or in 2020 in general). But, it seems that there have been. I am not talking about the SR+ - obviously those have been sold this year.

For range/constant documentation, for anyone who has an SR (not SR+), which is a 2020 model:

1) What was the initial range in rated miles @ 100% when new, indicated? (It looks like it should be 220 miles based on fueleconomy.gov...2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range)

2) If you have any TeslaFi or Stats historical data for projected rated range as the car has aged, would it be possible to post screen captures?

3) Please state the date of purchase/door pillar info.

4) If you bought the 2020 SR at end of 2019, please indicate whether you ever got a "range update" or any other software update.

The issue here that is weird to me is that we have a screen capture of the Energy Consumption screen from an SR 2020 showing the constant is 210Wh/rmi now. If the rated range when new is 220 miles, that would imply just 46.2kWh of usable capacity including the buffer.

But Tesla extracted 50.2kWh from this vehicle in their testing (in 2019)!

So that doesn't align - it's not even remotely close as compared to other vehicles. Just trying to figure out what is happening/has happened. There are a couple possibilities, but wanted to see what the data suggest.

Also, an SR 2019 owner can help here:

If you have a 2019 SR (not SR+), can you capture a picture of the energy consumption screen, capturing:

First, Set Energy display to DISTANCE (NOT ENERGY), then capture, at a high SoC (greater than 80%, ideally 100% but it doesn't need to be):

1) Rated miles remaining:
2) The Energy Consumption graph showing: Projected range, and the recent consumption number (last x miles average)

So three numbers should be visible in the picture: Rated miles remaining, projected range, and recent consumption. And it has to be at an SoC > 80%.

The idea here with the 2019 data is to confirm that the constant on the SR 2019 is still 219Wh/rmi. Just wanted to confirm that is what it has always been (this is what I would expect; the constant typically does not change except in special cases).

How much am I getting paid for this? My rate is $125 an hour.

• Disagree
Reactions: mrgoogle